Twilight Zone

How good is Twilight Zone on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
8/10. Maybe it's the rad artwork of the single but TZ has always been a track I look forward to hearing. There's just something about it and I can't put my finger on it. Gonna go re listen to it now.

1/10

Bluesy swing guitars lead into Twilight Zone, another completely un-Maiden track with cringeworthy falsetto vocals from Paul. This song was originally released as a single in the UK, but never made the album. It was released on the North American version and has been included on re-releases ever since. How they ever thought Twilight Zone would make a good single is beyond me and I wish it were left off the album entirely. It does have a slight Thin Lizzy vibe, which leads me to believe that a record company executive was trying to catch a wave too late.

• The main riff is mediocre.
  • Di'Anno's vocals on the chorus is actually a highlight of the song for me and I generally don't like it when he goes for the high notes.
  • The guitar harmony after the chorus is pure 80s Judas Priest.
  • It's not that good of a song but it's not particularly bad either. Not something I'd skip.
5/10.

Paul's worst song when he was in Maiden. Way too short for a Maiden song. I hate the lyrics, I hate the way they are sung, I hate the vibe of it. Dave delivers with some slightly redeeming guitar work. This is a song I always skip.
4/10

Not a terrible song, but not a particularly good one either. Especially at this point in the album, there are a few good reasons to skip it. The vocal line is probably the worst element.

4/10

Long time my favourite Killers track. What I like very much is the rock'n'roll groove, also present in Death Or Glory :) Bad there's no proper solo. The drum/guitar coupling in the chorus is just bombastic. 8

I think this song is so underrated. I love that opening riff and swing. Great chorus too. Not to mention the awesome twin leads after the chorus, I love the way that builds. For such a simple song it has a lot going on. Fun little track.

8/10. Though this song is short, it's packed with a ton of energy and I enjoy Paul's vocals in it, but I can see why some don't. Really keeps the energy flowing through the 2nd side after Killers.

6. Simple, catchy song. I like Di Anno trying a falsetto.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone

Not a fan of Paul's singing here. Decent song, but probably the weakest song on the album. 6/10

Like with Strange World, I can't decide if this song should get a 6 or a 7, but this time I'm going with 7/10. It's a short track, which gets some bonus points for not overdoing itself, and it's overall a fun one, if a little mediocre and not overly memorable. More Beatles feels BTW.

I always thought that TZ was a good song but it could never grow on me. About the time I heard it live through the Maiden Japan vol. 2 bootleg, boy i was wrong...

8/10

Agree with everyone who thinks this is underrated - has a very 70s 'classic rock' vibe. Surprised it was never picked up in rotation by rock radio back in the day.

Back