Transylvania

How good is Transylvania on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
If you put a gun against my head and forced me to choose my favourite Maiden instrumental, I'd say Transylvania, with Losfer Words a very close second. The first part of this song is wonderful, haunting and paints a perfect picture, which is exactly what an instrumental song should do. But while the second half of the song is good, it doesn't mesh too strongly together thematically. It's kind of like the first two Alien or Terminator movies got together and made a song, one is more horror-based, the other is more action-based.

7/10

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera
2: Remember Tomorrow
3: Transylvania
4: Sanctuary
5: Prowler
6: Running Free

7/10 It used to be my least favorite of the instrumentals but after getting Eddie's Archives years ago, Transylvania is now number 2 on my list.

I'm going to change my rating of this one to an 8. Nothing against the track mind you, it's still great, but I don't think I can rank it with other songs I'm going to give nine.

Here comes the first instrumental and I don't really like it. Let me explain.

The opening riff is a riff I enjoy. I personally like it the most when listening with headphones so the bam bam bam's switch from my left ear to my right ear every other time. The first half, in general, though...not that good, in my opinion. I don't like that "chorus". It feels weird to me. I should love this song by all means since I like instrumentals but it's not catching me here.

And the second half...while certainly getting me pumped what with the fast, speedy solos and it's pure, raw energy, I feel that might be the problem I have with that half. It's just speedy solos which doesn't exactly resonate with me.

The song eventually comes to an dead stop and ends slightly abruptly in my book. It ends with some calm guitar parts which lead into the next song.

And that's Transylvania for you. While I generally don't like it that much, it still has some nice themes. I'll give it a 5/10 but it may be bumped to a 6 sometime.

7/10

Transylvania is a rousing instrumental with impeccable guitar work and dynamic changes. It eventually gets a bit repetitive, but the melodic hooks are strong enough to sustain the weight of the middle of the album.

Starting of the second side with an instrumental is kinda brave and it works really well, a lot of good ideas and a nice flow. And it gets better and better the whole song through, but could have been a bit shorter and some days I feel it could do with some singing (if not being cut down, that is)

Instrumental: -2 points. I like vocals.
Does not make me think of Transylvania. -1 point.
Is it catchy? Yes. It's probably the best Iron Maiden instrumental. But I'm glad they've come to their senses and stopped making the fucking things.

+1 point for the da-da-dadadada though. That part is great. Regal, almost.

8/10. Even if I don't much love instrumentals, I do really enjoy this song, and it is ubiquitously Iron Maiden.

• Fantastic riffs on this one. I'm glad it's an instrumental, not writing lyrics for it was the right call.
  • The build up to the fast paced part at 1:40 is great and that part in itself is absolutely brilliant. One of the most energetic Maiden moments of the early days and it's saying something.
  • Great bass/drum combination throughout.
  • Probably should've been shorter, repetition is a tad too much. Probably would be best tracking at 3:30.
8/10.

Amazing riffs, amazing solos. Two things though.

- I would have liked to hear some lyrics
- MORE DENNIS STRATTON!!!!

9/10

You know, as much as I dig all the riffs and solos here, it never really comes together for me. It doesn't evoke any particular mood, it's just sort of there. 6.

Catchy and energetic, especially the second part. I think the main riff is really easy to remember here.

However, as LC said, this song doesn't really make me think of Transylvania. I will rank it equally to Prowler.

The highlight: The very beginning of this song - it promises an energetic ride for a listener and it delivers.

8/10

Unfortunately, Transylvania is the only song I ever missed in concert since I got into Iron Maiden (missed the '93 gig). It's one of the songs that really got me hooked and learnt me the strengths of the band: aggression, harmonies and an awesome rhythm section! Those bass/drum accents throughout most of track are almost hypnotizing. :shred:

A number of great moments here. There are a few points in this track where they come close to losing my attention, and then the guitar solos kick in. If this had vocals, I may have rated it higher, but as it is it will have to be content with a ...

7/10

This song doesn't really have anything wrong with it, but something about it just leaves me with a "meh" reaction afterwards. Easily my least favorite Maiden instrumental. None of the riffs or solos impress me all that much and I often find myself spacing out halfway through the song. Again, it's not bad. It's just not something I'd go out of my way for.

Not a bad little instrumental, makes me think of camp old horror films in the first half, then kind of runs away with itself. Nothing too serious. I'd ideally like to give it a 6.5, but that option's not available so it's going to get rounded down to 6/10

7/10. Absolutely fantastic first half that is somehow let down by the super fast soloing and slow ending of the 2nd half. Still, probably my favourite Maiden instrumental.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania

I love Maiden's instrumentals, and this is maybe my favourite of the lot. Great riffs, solos and I love Clive's drumming. 9/10

Back