Transylvania

How good is Transylvania on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Transylvania' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'Transylvania'

Two words for this one.

Word one : I love Steve Harris

Word two : I love Clive Burr

One of my favourites on the album. I do prefer it live and with Clive on it. I surely have no idea how Clive was able to do that. And I love it live to because of the great solo that Dave used to put on the end of it. Have you heard the version on The Beast of Hammersmith ? Is awesome !!!

'Transylvania'

Well, this song carries the name of my home-land, and I can say, that it doesen't really have much to do with everyday life here. But If you go in the wilderness at night, and you're in the forest, adn the moon's above you, you wonder how in gods name have they done a song that reflects the feelings that are insinde your heart at those moment? Has Steve ever been to Romania except for the '96 gig?

'Transylvania'

A highlight on the first album, showcasing some brilliant drumming and a nice guitar solo. I think they also speeded it up a bit when playing it live, making it a bit more aggressive.

'Transylvania'

A truely great song, and preformed very well live, usually. I really like the recording of it from the Friday Rock Show Session 1979 on The BBC Archives.

'Transylvania'

Very good instrumental, but not as good as the later ones.It has a really driving rhythm and great guitar solos. I guess I'll give it 3,5 stars

'Transylvania'

the best maiden instrumental IMO and one of the best metal instrumentals ever. actually it is probably my fav. instrumental period. wish it was longer tho. but yeah nice drumming, nice catchy riffs, nice solos (i especially like the live at the rainbow version of this, its faster and yes more aggressive..adrians solo on it makes dennis' sound like poopie, although that one is still quite good)..and the BASS!!! this is why 'arry is my idol...i LOVE playing the bass to this song, its soo fun!!

'Transylvania'

Amazing instrumentals. This, along with Phantom of the Opera, was my favorite track on the album when I first got it. I'll give this one a 5/5, too.

'Transylvania'

The main riff reminds me a bit of a Led Zeppelin song. I'm not sure, but probably "The Song Remains The Same". I'll check when I'm back home...

'Transylvania'

[!--quoteo(post=132771:date=Mar 23 2006, 03:43 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 23 2006, 03:43 AM) [snapback]132771[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The main riff reminds me a bit of a Led Zeppelin song. I'm not sure, but probably "The Song Remains The Same". I'll check when I'm back home...
[/quote]
Well I guess he forgot, so I did it for him.

I never realized it but they actually do sound almost exactly alike at the begining. Except Transylvania is just a little bit faster.

'Transylvania'

I respectfully disagree. I can see why you might say they are similar (the galloping single notes between chords), but in my opinion that similarity is too little to say the entire riffs are similar.

It's a matter of scale. You consider small similarities to be valid, whereas I do not. If we looked at every little similarity between songs, going all the way down to tiny little 3-note patterns, there are so many as to be overwhelming. Therefore I only look at the big ones. It keeps the signal-to-noise ratio manageable, if you know what I mean.*

* I really hope you know what I mean, because I don't. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Edit: something about this song's rating looks fishy to me.
407 5-star votes??
4.91 our of 5 average??
Sure, it's good ... but not that good.

'Transylvania'

I understand what you mean. But if you ask a NORMAL person who wouldn't over analyze every little detail of the song, most of them would probably hear the similarities that Perun and I noticed.

And I have a question. How many guitar solos are in this song? I heard three, but the commentary says that there are only two.

EDIT: The third guitar solo that I heard was at 2:48.

Re: 'Transylvania'

Transylvania: the first instrumental, the best? Yes! Fast riffing from the guitars and bass which are complemented by big drum whacks, this then turns into a short bridge and then goes back to the first riff and then back again in perfect timing and then back to the intro riff. At this point one of the deepest guitar lines with bass soloin underneath and complementary drums. Then the guitar solo comes on top and stops just as short. Then it feels like it will stop but surprises you with another burst of energy and another solo and then an amazing riff. This song just keeps going but holds you in its palm and plays with your brains. And then what an ending…
5/5

Daily Song: Transylvania

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Transylvania

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

The first of the four instrumentals, and probably the best of them all. A classic track to hear at any time. However, I do like lyrics. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: Transylvania

Vvvvva-ba-ba-babababa-ba-ba-bababaBA!

Great stuff. You wouldn't think an instrumental could rock this hard until you hear it. I'm not sure I like this better than The Ides of March, but it's great. It makes me wonder how this would sound with a heavier production, though. 8/10.

For me, too, this is the favourite Maiden instrumental. It is varied, and through all the different variations it simply rocks your socks off. 8/10.

10! Another song I rate with a tenner! Mind blowing, arousing, hauting, melodic, powerful and anthologic. :edmetal:

Next to Prowler the song that really got me hooked and learnt me the strengths of the band: aggression, harmonies and an awesome rhythm section! Those bass/drum accents throughout most of track are almost hypnotizing.  :shred:

The best Maiden instrumental, and it rocks hard.  Not a dull bit in the song, and in a way it's a shame Maiden have only done four instrumentals.  I give it a 9.

Back