The Trooper

How good is The Trooper on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I love this song for being catchy and memorable. The whole band is on fire but Bruce really makes this song sound special.
However, I feel that this song sounds a little bit like pop music, especially the dual guitar lead at the very beginning. Accompany this with the boring POM guitar sound, and it is easier to realize why this song can't get a 10/10 from me.

The highlight: No highlights, but not because the song is dull. It is because the whole song is so tight and focused.

9/10

10/10 A classic for sure. The song that introduced me to Maiden. I will always have a soft spot for it.

6/10. I'm alone, I know, but the song bores me. All the more when it's preceeded by the amazing Boots which are, IMHO, much better short, fast Maiden song. The oooohs are easy to get fed up with and the fact it's played and mentioned so often doesn't help. Used to like it much more, though.

A textbook 8. Great song throughout but it doesn't have a special bit to elevate it further to me.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper

Classic Maiden rocker with great guitar and bass work, and typical, but excellent Maiden guitar solos. A sure choice of a single and a live standard. 9/10

10/10

What can be said of The Trooper? It is the most recognizable Iron Maiden song save Run to the Hills and it features not one, but two lead guitar harmonies for the history books. Thrilling lyrics about The Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War and a stunning vocal delivery by Dickinson soar over a pummeling gallop that conjures up the pace of hessian battle. Murray and Smith’s solos are two of the best in the entire catalog and Nicko’s drum flourishes are stellar.

Easily the best 80s rocker. The guitar harmonies, the signature gallop, the chorus. It's all there. For me this is still the definitive song to introduce people to Maiden. Also two classic guitar solos. Not much more needs to be said really. I never tire of hearing this one live.

Perhaps one of those that suffers a bit of fatigue. Certainly one of the most exciting songs they've ever done and the gallop is very atmospheric here.

It's just a bit too limited to gain a 9 or 10 . So

"I planned on doing this before breaking my arm. So I thought it would be a good challenge to change the fills and do it with one arm. Please enjoy."

Another classic. I believe it's a great song. It falls just a touch out of the masterpiece category.

9/10

This would've been better if it had been developed into a full epic, but it's nonetheless fantastic as it is and a classic in its own right. The galloping rhythm creates a nice picture of a battlefield and make the lyrics really stand out and come alive. 9.

Another classic. It’s not my personal favourite of theirs, and in a way it leans a bit towards commercial, but it’s still an amazing song. The galloping rhythm, the solo and most definitely the bass make this song, all within 4 minutes.

As usual I find it really hard to but a score on the most played songs that you've heard a gazillion times over the last 30 something years. But it's a great song.

Back