The Post Your Own Music Thread

Oh I didn't know that it was that late in the year. I thought it was in the early spring or something like that.

This guy on the DT forums is doing this album documentation thing that he wanted people to participate in, and I thought I would share what I've contributed so far.

Making of “The Train”

Gear:Laptop, Ibanez Guitar, Amp, Audacity, Gaming Chair, 2 sets of cheap headphones, recording out,honey nut cheerios, lots of gatorade

12:00 AM: I begin setting up to lay down guitar parts for a song with the working title “The Train”. I pull out gaming chair as it makes it easier to edit parts without having to bend over all the time. I set up my guitar and plug the amp into the laptop. I have headphones coming out of the amp so I can hear what I am playing, and headphones coming out of the laptop so I can play along with the past track so I can keep in time easier.

I’ve been working on this song since October of 2010 and began recording parts in January but was never happy with the results. I have changed recording methods and have tried it recording other songs and it works perfectly. So hopefully this version will be a good one.

12:45 AM: I have finished recording the first Guitar part of the first 2 minutes of the song. I made mistakes going from the intro to verse (I played an E chord instead of an A.) so I had to go back and fix that. The verses sounded good so I didn’t have to fix anything there. I’m glad I have more patience now to fix stuff because it took 6 audio tracks and 45 minutes to record 1 guitar part for the first 2 minutes of the song. Time for the second guitar part.

1:15 AM: After a 20 minute break I dive into guitar part 2. Very good first take with only one mistake. I fix the mistake and take another break. I’d say this was a very good take. Hopefully the next part will be just as good. It’s time for the solo section.

1:40 AM: The solo section is done... except for the solos. Those are next. I made a bunch of mistakes on the riffs and fixed what I could. Hopefully it gets easier from here. Dividing the song into three parts was a good idea. What I used to do was record the entire song in four takes. 2 main guitar parts and two guitar solos. This way takes longer, but so far the results are better.

2:00 AM: I’m done. It was easier. No mistakes, recorded the solo in one take. I am satisfied with the results. It took exactly two hours to record this song and out of the 4 songs I have ready to record this is probably the shortest. I’m scared... 

Like I said I have 4 tracks written and I decided I won't put any online until all 4 are done.

http://soundcloud.com/yax90/new-instrumental-song

Headphone mix. Refererenced it with two stereo setups. Will be interesting to hear how it sounds in school. I'm getting a pair of good monitors for the fall (gonna acoustically treat the room as much as I can - Half the walls are concrete so...)

It's a Satriani-esque instrumental - Not just drums, guitars and bass on this one though, but also grand piano (I love recording grand piano) and some synths. Hope you guys like it! I play guitars and bass, and a friend plays the drums and another friends plays the grand piano and the synths. Fairly happy with the drums - The drumkit is rather shit though. Like everybody recording this kit, I had to use 156 kilometers of sticky tape to keep it from resonating like hell.

Edit: Ranko! Nice song man! I especially dig the bass guitar.

@Mid Distance Runner: Interesting combination of different ideas. E.g., nice sudden change @ 1.22. Good groove!
Later when the heavy part starts, the drums are a bit distracting from the rest but after that a cool outro follows!

@Babo: I see you have added a full track, Blood on the Sand. The intro melody comes from Montsegur. Later on some cool figures. Some motives in the solo of Empty Places' intro sound Maiden inspired as well.

@Yax, I missed your post, but the song is "out of air" now.

Keep going guys. I am currently busy with a mixing a song for a project with a poet who speaks/sings his Dutch texts over music. We plan to release an album (no label, self financed) with lots of 2-3 minutes tracks. I guess it'll be around 40 minutes long in total. All the stuff was recorded at various sessions between 2009 and last week.  :D

Forostar said:
@Mid Distance Runner: Interesting combination of different ideas. E.g., nice sudden change @ 1.22. Good groove!
Later when the heavy part starts, the drums are a bit distracting from the rest but after that a cool outro follows!

Thanks Foro!!  I may even pull those drums out.  The outro may lead on to an opening riff on the next song.  Thanks for listening man, that's cool.  I can't wait to hear your latest once posted.

TMDR: Nice work, but I'd raise a volume of distorted guitar in the middle section, it doesn't receive the attention it deserves :)

mtmccox said:
TMDR: Nice work, but I'd raise a volume of distorted guitar in the middle section, it doesn't receive the attention it deserves :)

Thanks mtmccox.  I appreciate you having a listen.  Nice thoughts and I may raise the distortion or even add in a soloy thing... :) \m/

Really nice acoustic work (that's what captures me in this song). I like the Blue Öyster Cult reference.

Forostar said:
@Yax, I missed your post, but the song is "out of air" now.
Yeah, I removed it because I changed stuff around in the mix. It's finished now (waiting for critique from a teacher at school.... Which will take some weeks). It has to be finished now becaue I can't stop twisting the knobs.  I'll put it up again as soon as I'm finished with a school project (will post those songs too - Always With Me, Always With you by Satriani and Who'll Stop The Rain in Satriani ballad style)

Recording drums for a new song on Sunday (and hopefully a couple more)!

@MDR I think it needs to be more structured to stand on its own, but I really like the feel. Nice job.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Thanks Foro!!  I may even pull those drums out.  The outro may lead on to an opening riff on the next song.  Thanks for listening man, that's cool.  I can't wait to hear your latest once posted.

Cheers! That might take a long while, but I'll keep you updated.

Me, 15 years ago (the concert is from October 1997, not 1993), on drums.

You can't hear me that well, compared to the others. I was the only one who was not amplified, if that excuse counts. ;)

The band had the most unfitting name you can imagine and I remember that the venue actually thought we were some kind of cover band. Instead they got the opposite: some uncommercial sounding, raw black/doomish metal act, doing their first gig.

If you listen well, you can hear the words Remember Tomorrow in the lyrics. :)
I'll try to share more later.

Back