The Post Your Own Music Thread

valacirca said:
I wanted to include a fuzz backing track for the second half of the song I posted above, but I'm recording via DI and recording distorted guitars via DI sounds terrible, so I'll have to go the Amp --> Mic route for that, which I don't have the resources for for now.

Regarding this amp-mic (rather than plugging the amp directly into the recording interface or mixing board): What's your experience with the difference between the two in a live setting? I don't have much live experience, but the times I have played guitar on stage, I've insisted on having a mic in front of my amp rather than plugging the amp directly into the mixing board. The guitar sound lost all "warmth" when doing the latter.

I didn't know you were a musician. Have you posted anything online?

No, since I don't have recording equipment. I'm just at the hobby level anyway (I play guitar and keyboards). The live experience I have is just from student shows, but it was great fun playing live to an audience. I can understand why Janick seems to have so much fun on stage  :D

yea, I decided that I have new respect for his stage antics. The fact that he can run around like a maniac and still play those songs is pretty cool.

Forostar said:
Nice kit. Lots of toms, and that China is a cool asset.  :)

Thanks. The china is a recent acquisition, I've only had it for a couple of months. Took me a week to learn to play it - I kept bashing my whole hand into the cymbal at first because I've never had a cymbal mounted at that angle before.

Awesome. It looks like a really hard song to play on drums. Especially at some of the rhythm changes.

Thank you both ... now imagine how much it will rock when I play a song I actually know! That performance of Infinite Dreams was off the cuff, unrehearsed, unless you count the hundreds of times I've listened to it.

I had actually wanted to do some sections from Thick As A Brick, but it wasn't happening (damn 5/8!) so I skipped forward and ID came up. :bigsmile:

Alright, I have been digitising old recordings and this an untitled, doomy song with me on drums, from 1996.

http://talescape.bandcamp.com/track/doom-song

Back in the day we were listening to bands such as My Dying Bride.

Its instrumental, the tape quality is messy but I quite like the lead guitar work. Hope you get an idea.
And another metal song from the same 1996 session as "doom song". It had lyrics but we had no singer, so this is instrumental as well.

Burn You (in the Glory of War)
http://talescape.bandcamp.com/track/bur ... ory-of-war

The Pink Floydish 3/4 part in the 2nd half disappeared when we did a gig in 1997.

Yes indeed. I think it's pretty cool that he left it like that and didn't do the whole thing again.
I see lots of fun and it's good to share that.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Mosh - I hear nice Mercyful Fate-like riffing
I have never listened to Mercyful Fate. I'll get right on that. Listening to the Pirates On Parrots tune right now.

Foro - nice drumming on the Doom Song.
Mosh - you've pulled your songs down?  I wann here The Knife Master but can't find it.  In regards to the drums for your tracks, I'm using Garageband on the Mac.  Its so easy to use I now feel like a miniture Kevin Shirley clone...

Mosh - you've pulled your songs down?  I wann here The Knife Master but can't find it.  In regards to the drums for your tracks, I'm using Garageband on the Mac.  Its so easy to use I now feel like a miniture Kevin Shirley clone...
Well I have a PC. Not sure if garage band is on PC or not. As for the songs being pulled, I only had three but they were recorded with my laptop on my desk while I just played the songs. You could hear the PC buzzing and various other things from outside my room and the sound quality of the guitars wasn't as good. The Train (the version you heard I assume) was recorded with the laptop plugged directly into the amp providing a better sound. I'm working on re-recording those tracks along with some I didn't put up. I probably won't redo The Knife Master though. It was a pain to record and I think it dragged a little too much.

Forostar said:
Yes indeed. I think it's pretty cool that he left it like that and didn't do the whole thing again.
I see lots of fun and it's good to share that.

Just like keeping Nicko's "oh, I fucking missed it" at the end of The Thin Line Between Love And Hate  :D

Thanks mate, in the jungle song you'll hear some more dynamic drumming, it was speeded up a bit on purpose for cooler effect.

Currently listening to your stuff.

Nice man! I like it. Atmospheric stuff. Somehow I first had to think about Midnight Oil (a favourite band of mine), hearing the tempo and sound of the clean guitars. Who's doing what? I see 4 roles:
making the rhythms (well done by the way)
vocals
guitars
keyboards/bass lines programming/samples

BTW I have grown a dislike for myspace, because it's so slow and sometimes difficult to manage as well (especially when I take huge breaks in between editing, things have changed already).

@EW: kind of. ;)

Back