The Official I Popped My Clogs Because The Final Frontier Leaked Thread

Re: The Official Waiting For The Final Frontier And I'm About To Pop My Clogs Thread

LogJam said:
I'm with you man  ;)

Sadly I caved in and listened to one of the samples (The Talisman, although I don't regret it as it was a slow part and therefore I think most of the song will be different (and it served to increase my anticipation)) - but no more. And of course, I've listened to the two singles.

I've set my listening date as whenever the album comes out in-store and I buy it (Either this Friday or next Monday). I'm also planning a release party with my friend, which will be awesome.

You could also listen to the Isle of Avalon sample. It doesn't given anything away and could quench your thirst for the time being.

Kaolla said:
dang it seems im the only one who isnt very impressed with the album yet...
i was hoping for another DoD type of album, one of my favs, but i think even though most songs have some nice parts, they also have some parts i dislike...
I think I'll definitely like the album better after a few more listens (its always like that), but i think for me this album is not in my top 5 :(
But of course Maiden is Maiden  :edmetal: it still beats anything else  :bigsmile:

Wow. How can you pass off an album after the first day's listen?

Re: The Official Waiting For The Final Frontier And I'm About To Pop My Clogs Thread

Suicidehummer said:
You gotta give it another 10,000 listens. You CAN'T pass it off already.

no worries, my playlist is always 90% maiden or so, so I will hear these songs plenty of times and i wont pass it off.. waited for years for this moment, i'll listen to it millions of times if thats what it takes... after 2.5 listens it already sounds better, so i just hope this progress can continue... but not being in my top 5 is no shame... maiden has too many awesome albums, i was just hoping this could be the one... but who knows what some listening can do ^^

You gave that review after only two and a half listens?

Wow, none of these songs are really as long as they're listed. I mean, it doesn't feel 8, 9, 10 minutes... these songs go by a bit quicker....  which is great

bbreeg614 said:
IMHO
As a fan since 82 who has seen then 14 times including driving 5 hours to see them with blaze at a dump in San Antonio on the X Factor tour  and was there again with blaze at a tin barn in San Benito Texas on the VXI tour I will say this about The Final Frontier:

They Fucking Did It.

OK to retire now boys....you've earned it!

14 times? You're just getting started, son....don't put them to pasture yet! :)

Stan said:
Wow, none of these songs are really as long as they're listed. I mean, it doesn't feel 8, 9, 10 minutes... these songs go by a bit quicker....  which is great

That's a true staple of a good long song. If you can make a 10 minute song seem like a 5 minute song, you're doing it right.  ;)

And I agree so far. The songs definitely end a lot quicker than you'd think.

Moonchild33 said:
You gave that review after only two and a half listens?

it's not a review, everyone here is posting its the best thing they ever heard (which is allowed after 1-2-3 listens?), i am just saying i disagree, is that forbidden?
i know it most likely wont be in my top 5 maiden albums, no shame as i've said before... Im not saying I will hate this album or that I won't like it, it just won't be my favourite, I can be quite sure of that already, yea...

When the Wild Wind Blows honestly feels to just breeze by (pun absolutely intended).  Once the 'honeymoon' is over, I bet that'll still be one of my favorite songs ever, along with the whole album being very high near the top of my list.

Kaolla said:
dang it seems im the only one who isnt very impressed with the album yet...
i was hoping for another DoD type of album, one of my favs, but i think even though most songs have some nice parts, they also have some parts i dislike...
I think I'll definitely like the album better after a few more listens (its always like that), but i think for me this album is not in my top 5 :(
But of course Maiden is Maiden  :edmetal: it still beats anything else  :bigsmile:

I actually agree with you at the moment. I don't know what it is, perhaps the lack of harmonies/melodies? But this isn't one of my favorite albums AT THE MOMENT. I like A Matter Of Life And Death a lot better and that album didn't even have to grow on me! I loved it when I first listened to it but I'm not giving up on this album. I like it, just not a whole lot. Hopefully it grows on me.

Xodus said:
That's a true staple of a good long song. If you can make a 10 minute song seem like a 5 minute song, you're doing it right.  ;)

And I agree so far. The songs definitely end a lot quicker than you'd think.

I noticed it for the last song, particularly...I was really surprised that it ended so "quickly"! Anyway, it seems that the boys had a really good time doing this album...a bit different from past works, but still very "Maiden"!

Kaolla said:
it's not a review, everyone here is posting its the best thing they ever heard (which is allowed after 1-2-3 listens?), i am just saying i disagree, is that forbidden?
i know it most likely wont be in my top 5 maiden albums, no shame as i've said before... Im not saying I will hate this album or that I won't like it, it just won't be my favourite, I can be quite sure of that already, yea...

I wasn't crucifying you. Your post just sounded really final. :p Obviously it wasn't final, so I'm sorry.

Thanks for the download group. Going to post my first impression on each song first, then go back and look at what everybody else is saying:

Satellite 15 is kind of interesting but it takes too long getting to the good stuff. Freed of the annoying video sound effects, Final Frontier is a simple, kickass rock opener that will get heavy repeats on my player.

El Dorado: Liked it as a single, like it more in the context of the album.

Mother of Mercy: Very cool opening riff, good verses, but lackluster chorus threw some water on the initial chills I was getting.

Coming Home: Decent song, excellent singing

The Achemist: Better than I thought it would be reading the reviews. Had it pegged for another no-frills Montsegur/Mercenary. Not quite as heavy as either, with a more interesting melody.

Isle of Avalon: OK, I get the Rush comparisons— Hemispheres or Vapour Trails. Very interesting opening. Couldn’t grasp the whole package in one chunk. Think this will be a real grower.

Starblind: Another one that delivered more than the reviews suggested. I’m getting a Lord of Light/Nomad vibe. Nothing obvious about this one. Lots of intriguing rhythms, guitar parts. A keeper.

The Talisman: Cool, the Legacy…K, this bard thing’s going on too long…whoa like the way it kicks in… Was that the chorus? It should be…Oh love that harmony — cut off too soon! ...hang on, left turn… I think I’m really going to be spending some time with this one. Epic stuff.

TMWWBK:Nice Davey opener, but it didn’t keep me. Might be a victim of me getting overwhelmed by the fourth huge song in a row.

When the Wild Wind Blows: Love the softer medieval melody. Sounds like a cool lyric too. K the up-tempo stuff works too. Nice guitar parts. Real interesting structure — a songwriting clinic going on here. Can’t believe that was 11 minutes. I never felt lost. Very Harris, but it has a real bittersweet (as opposed to bitter) feel you don’t hear in most of his mature work. I can definitely see this one becoming a classic.

OK.......I gave in and downloaded even though I promised myself I would wait till next week.......I've gotten through 5 tracks now...here are my thoughts so far....
Final Frontier is a nice little intro song....Not Quite on par with TWM  but better than Different world and Wildest Dreams.

......I think El Dorado is a Damn good song.......

Mother of Mercy..  Sounds like it could have been on a Bruce solo Album or on Dance of Death. I don't particularly like songs where Bruce is "talking" lyrics rather than singing them.. Don't Like Bruce's vocals on chorus either,  they sound.....wrong?   I Like the solo though, especially that little bit of picking at the end of it.... and the riff during the chorus / after the solo is nice........Different kind of song for Maiden.

Coming Home.....I heard this song was like the greatest ballad ever....MEH.....maybe it will grow on me....too slow and not what I expected from what everyone was saying. This one REALLY sounds like a Bruce solo song, not Maiden. Could have been on Tyranny of Souls . I read one review that said the intro to this song was "like 80's arena rock"......I don't hear it.  Sounds more like......Bruce solo stuff from Roy Z...or Helloween!  lol.... The chorus is not as epic as i heard it was.. nice solo from Adrian.

The Alchemist...intro riff and first verse sounds recycled from previous songs.....can someone tell me which one I'm thinking of ?  I don't like this one as of right now    ........More to come.....can't believe I'm dissapointed silightly so far....

Get ready for the epics.

adrian fn rules said:
The Alchemist...intro riff and first verse sounds recycled from previous songs.....can someone tell me which one I'm thinking of ?  

Probably Man on the Edge, which in turn sounds like Rainbow's Spotlight Kid and Deep Purple's Dead or Alive.

........WOW..........(passes out from shock)   Isle of Avalon is an instant keeper....talk about progressive!    Probably one of the best lead breaks ever in a maiden song since Powerslave...At the 3:38 mark, that riff sounds reminiscent of Paschendale, then all the way to 5:34 is an absolute Adrian Smith  masterpiece.  Great, Great song.....Way to go guys

Starblind.....Slow intro.......then......great dual riff........guitars seem too toned down and muted though. Cmon KEVIN.........I like the guitar fills by Adrian.   I think this one will be a grower.......another great lead break and solo by Adrian....the man is GOD!!!!!    You can totally tell this song was written by him...has his genius all over it.   Without Adrian this band would never have made the comeback it did.......another very progressive detour for Maiden.....these guys are'nt afraid to take risks and they don't care

.......Talisman......at first sounds "Breegish and The Legacy-ish"......  first salvo of verse by Bruce reminds me of Lord of Light just a bit....
from 3:44 to 3:55-that guitar rhythm is too "Maiden generic" and can be found in 10 other songs....why put it there? and they repeat it again later.    The lead break is just...weird.   Probably cause its Janick's......And Bruce's vocals on this song are not his best.  This may be the song I skip when I listen to this album.
........The Man Who Would Be King  could have been on SSOASS.....has that sound and vibe absolutely....Just for that alone I love it, plus the other progressive elements......WHAT IS THAT STARTING AT 3:57?    HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING JOURNEY!!!  I don't know what to say to that...I loved it though!!!    This song is just impossible to describe.......
brother2 said:
Probably Man on the Edge, which in turn sounds like Rainbow's Spotlight Kid and Deep Purple's Dead or Alive.
yea a little....but there is a little "New Frontier" from DOD in there too

........The Man Who Would Be King  could have been on SSOASS.....has that sound and vibe absolutely....Just for that alone I love it, plus the other progressive elements......WHAT IS THAT STARTING AT 3:57?    HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING JOURNEY!!!  I don't know what to say to that...I loved it though!!!    This song is just impossible to describe.......

I'm glad your really enjoying the second half of the album so far. Hmm, We're the opposite. I love The Talisman, but I'm not sold on The Man Who Would Be King, at least not yet.

I haven't listened to it all yet, downloaded the full album then went to bed, it's already on my iPhone so I'm gonna have a listen today, what I've heard so far is awesome!

Back