The Official I Popped My Clogs Because The Final Frontier Leaked Thread

Re: The Official Waiting For The Final Frontier And I'm About To Pop My Clogs Thread

MaidenBrooklyn said:
Starblind is out of control.  :edmetal:

Agreed.

Ranking Maiden's albums is way too difficult in my opinion. They all have their own sound and feel, and each has its own weaknesses. Out of the classics, (first seven, Iron Maiden-Seventh Son) I'd say the debut and Number of the Beast are the weakest. I've never been a huge fan of the debut. It's got decent songs and a couple amazing tracks, but the production is terrible. Crappy, aka "raw" production works for stuff like Appetite for Destruction, but it killed Maiden's album. Killers is the first album I bought and it's still in my top three behind Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. The first time I popped Somewhere In Time in my cd player, my jaw hit the floor during the opening harmony to Caught Somewhere In Time. And that whole album is simply amazing from start to finish, with a slight exception for LOTLDR.

The Final Frontier has a bit of that Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son feel. Starblind sounds a lot like The Prophecy. So, it's instant win because of that. As far as ranking, I'd put it way above AMOLAD, and a bit above Brave New World and Dance of Death. It's impossible to compare it to the 80's albums. It'd be like comparing two different bands, and that's not really fair. Maiden is what it is now, for better or for worse. I think of it this way: if Maiden had made the last six albums (X factor-Final Frontier) sound very similar to the first 9, wouldn't they be AC/DC playing metal? That would suck. I like that the guys have changed their sound over the years. Nobody wants to listen to the same riffs, same solos and same singing recycled over and over and over again. I must say, though, the production leaves something to be desired. That IS what I'd like recycled from the 80's, or more specifically Somewhere In Time. Greatest guitar sound ever. Adrian Smith sounds like a god on that album. I was hoping this new album would be just as atmospheric. Maybe next time!

Re: The Official Waiting For The Final Frontier And I'm About To Pop My Clogs Thread

This is my favorite 24 hours of the past year.  This album is to me..perfect. I can't believe my ears.  It's like the 80's all over again.  No disappointment at all.
  Imo The Talisman  may be top 5 all time.  The riffs are haunting and Bruce is on fire here.

Coming home will be an all timer as well.  This song will bring in many new fans.  Perfect.  It reminds me of Wasted years.  Starblind, the Alchemist and Mother' are WAY better than I thought they would be.  This BLOWS AMOLAD away for me.  Much more interesting and upbeat.  And I loved AMOLAD.  Up all night listening.  Guys after 10 full listens you'll know. This is magic.  

I get goosebumps every time I listen to WTWWB.  That song is a definite all time Maiden favorite to me  :edmetal:

I got goosebumps when the distorted guitars kicked in after the slow intro to WTWWB. So far, best album after the reunion IMO. No timeless songs like Dance of Death that I see now, but overall is better than BNW, DOD and AMOLAD. Maybe the album is a grower. That happened with the great Maiden classics.

Moonchild420 said:
I get goosebumps every time I listen to WTWWB.  That song is a definite all time Maiden favorite to me   :edmetal:

When I heard it yesterday it didn't have much impact, but today I listened much more closely with headphones and got a bit choked up when the ending came. Very heavy, yet the guitars give it a happy sound. Not my favorite off the album, but it's still awesome. Now Coming Home... that gives me goosebumps. Every time.

Could spent all day comparing this album to earlier works (and there's plenty of references to previous songs to be found here). It was a smart move saving the longer songs for the second half (not that Sat. 15 is what you'd call magnetic - very strange opener). I like the variety - something for the people who like the shorter songs and epics for those who like their average track length over eight minutes.

Just about every track has a surprise in store for the listener. The Final Frontier and El Dorado are fairly basic, straight-forward songs, but the solos are good. Coming Home is very slick, and the lyrics are quite poetic. Isle of Avalon and Talisman feature some very un-Maiden approaches to song structure, but welcome ones; at the same time, Talisman features the gallop at full throttle and Avalon showcases Nicko's immortal drum stamina - he sounds as good as ever.

Several of the longer tracks could've used a trimming in the chorus section (a fault present in the newer, post-2000 Maiden albums), but they remain catchy songs with an element of unpredictability about them. Still, an epic with an orchestrated feel (think Longest Day) would've been welcome. For the most part, the tripper songs feel like experiments and I'd enjoy a tried-and-true epic more akin to the greats.

Which brings me to the Alchemist. While good, it feels the most formulaic to me out of all the songs. Even this fast, throw-back song doesn't end with a fade out. In fact, none of the songs do; none end on a triumphant crescendo, but approach the runway, take off, and land more or less gently when they're done. The flight is different for each, but the end is basically the same. It's one reason I like El Dorado: It's the exception, starts - and ends - with a bang.

Overall, a very good album. Probably my favorite, production-wise, out of their newer albums (BNW, DOD, AMOLAD). Best of all, it's consistent, w/o filler - something Maiden hasn't done in a long time.

Again this is great stuff! I spent all night listening for a 2nd and 3rd with the lights out. And I am usually very critical. I haven't felt this good right off the bat since BNW. I like how the songs have a driving continuous motion with very little slow-downs. And they're catchy riffs. Well done Iron Maiden! Retirement? What retirement? This is just too good material. I'm sure they will be able to create more in the future. UP THE IRONS!!!!

Do you guys actually get choked up and even cry sometimes listening to Maiden? No matter how much I get into a song I've never even come close to crying.

Suicidehummer said:
Do you guys actually get choked up and even cry sometimes listening to Maiden? No matter how much I get into a song I've never even come close to crying.

It's happened two or three times. The worst one (best one) was Paschendale.

Hours without any post. :yey:

After the big banana plunder, which took 66 pages, all the horny monkeys finally have gone to bed.

Back