The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Well, I'm finally back from my incredible trip to London which was capped off by two amazing Maiden shows. This was my first time in London and the city did not disappoint - simply a great place to visit. I saw all the sites - capped off by a trip to the Ruskin Arms which was quite special.

Regarding the shows, I'm too jet lagged to make an organized post for this one so just some random thoughts.

- O2 arena is quite nice but I've never been to an arena before where so few people knew how to do their jobs well. This was particularly bad on Saturday. Merch folks, beer folks, food folks, it was appalling actually ha.

- I had seats the first night and GA the second night. Everyone around me sat on Saturday. It was so weird. That rarely, if ever, happens at shows in the US regardless of how lame the crowds are. I'd never seen this before. The whole section barring a few sat down for the whole show.

- Skipped Shinedown on night one and endured them on night two. Not a fan.

- Found a little used merch stand on the first night and was able to successfully purchase a London event shirt which I will treasure!

- I saw way more folks in IMFC shirts than at any show ever before. Saw more fans with Maiden tattoos than at any other show before too (been to 20+ over the years). Thought that was worth mentioning.

Regarding Maiden -

- I still think this is their best album tour stage set up of the reunion era by quite a good margin and this 2017 version didn't change it. The intro, the fire, the Eddies, all perfect really.

- I know there are legal issues with playing it, but a Maiden show without Hallowed Be Thy Name, for me, really feels like it's missing something.

- I don't necessarily believe that The Great Unknown is the best live track ever but I enjoyed it. At both shows, from my vantage point, it was the bathroom break song for most. Someone next to me one night started freaking out thinking the bass intro was for Killers and was so disappointed haha. I commend them for bringing in a new song but really think Shadows of the Valley or When the River Runs Deep would have been better choices.

- Along those lines, I actually think I slightly prefer last years set list over this one even though both are a great mix of new and old. I just prefer the 2016 mix of new and old.

- Speaking of mix, Maiden sounded great to my ears both nights. Probably the best shows I've ever seen them play. They really do seem to rise to the occasion for big shows like these were. Definitely impressed.

- Saw Rod Smallwood on Sunday

- Man of the match was Bruce who really is incredible.

- Song highlights for me were If Eternity Should Fail, Children of the Damned, The Red and the Black, The Book of Souls and Blood Brothers

- I've never particularly cared for Blood Brothers on record but given the circumstances of these shows (especially with the Manchester incident so close to these O2 shows) really took it to another level.

- I can't state enough how special it was to see Maiden in their hometown. It was a total bucket list thing for me and I could not have asked for anything more!

2 more Maiden shows for me this weekend in Bristow and Philly and then a month off until I see them in Toronto!

I think it is hard to call. There was talk of being in the studio in the autumn of this year. So if that comes to be then it is feasible that this potential album could be released early next year. If that was the case then they could be on the road next summer. In this time line I dont see them 'wasting' time with any kind of History tour. This is a mega quick turn around but it makes sense if the studio talk is to be believed.

Looks like a slippery floor! :)
And what a moment, just before the difficult acoustic part. Love the way Steve and Bruce look at him.

I think it is hard to call. There was talk of being in the studio in the autumn of this year. So if that comes to be then it is feasible that this potential album could be released early next year. If that was the case then they could be on the road next summer. In this time line I dont see them 'wasting' time with any kind of History tour. This is a mega quick turn around but it makes sense if the studio talk is to be believed.

If they hit the studio this fall it will 3 years since they recorded Book of Souls. Not really a mega-quick turnaround. I say it is time, no need for further touring. Get album #17 out!

getting ready for next Sunday! VIP package and seats this time for the tour... Tampa, June 11th... Wish they would change some things on the set list but oh well... we may not know either since this is the final leg and they are playing areas they played before... they changed dramatically the tour set list in 2010 between the 2 separate legs of the USA shows... crossing fingers

Looks like a slippery floor! :)
And what a moment, just before the difficult acoustic part. Love the way Steve and Bruce look at him.

Normally, Bruce pulls a hissy fit if someone throws beer on the stage, saying it could make someone slip ..... then he regularly chucks water/eddie's fake blood on the stage.

Seconds later .... Janick slips. :goodbye:

getting ready for next Sunday! VIP package and seats this time for the tour... Tampa, June 11th... Wish they would change some things on the set list but oh well... we may not know either since this is the final leg and they are playing areas they played before... they changed dramatically the tour set list in 2010 between the 2 separate legs of the USA shows... crossing fingers
That's because the 2010 tour was before TFF was out so it was more like a Give Me Ed type deal.

And it's officially 2 weeks to my show!

I'm not sure. Their last show was 6 days ago with the 2nd London show, but I don't know if they had any rehearsals in that time.

There was no rehearsal time... If anything they will swap Wrathchild with HBTN if the court case is resolved. But since there is no news about that it probably wont happen...

Back