The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Just to be an arsehole. I've seen it done by people who felt it was part of their image to be seen there, but obviously had no interest.

I did see the scorpions open for Judas Priest on the angel of retribution tour. Killer package with two quality bands.
I saw these two in 2004, one year before Angel of Retribution came out! Halford was awesome that night. I noticed how he went downhill later but that gig was very good. Filmed by my wife:

Summing everything up... what do you all think of Bruce's voice during this tour? I personally think he sounds much better than last year. I visited a gig in Oberhausen and was very much impressed (though in video the band sounds not as great as live, somehow...) But many youtube commentators don't tend to agree...

Summing everything up... what do you all think of Bruce's voice during this tour? I personally think he sounds much better than last year. I visited a gig in Oberhausen and was very much impressed (though in video the band sounds not as great as live, somehow...) But many youtube commentators don't tend to agree...

I personally thinks he sounded immense at the three gigs I went to in 2017 (Liverpool and both London shows), better than at Donington in 2016, where he also sounded better than at any point between the European leg of TFF tour in 2011 and the Maiden England tour in 2012-2014.

I personally thinks he sounded immense at the three gigs I went to in 2017 (Liverpool and both London shows), better than at Donington in 2016, where he also sounded better than at any point between the European leg of TFF tour in 2011 and the Maiden England tour in 2012-2014.
He'd sound much better if the dropped trooper, Notb and the like in favour of some other gems that deserve some live time. Plus if Steve helped him out with less repeat choruses! Agree though sounded far better in 2017 than on maiden England tour.

And again what's the problem with playing HBTN in drop D or slowing it down? His low pitch is fantastic, though I really liked how he sang COTD, though the voice sounds much thinner, than in the 80s of course..

Last edited:
And again what's the problem with playing HBTN in dropped D or slowing it down? His low pitch is fantastic, though I really liked how he sang COTD, though the voice sounds much thinner, than in the 80s of course..

Hallowed is played in standard. It has been played in drop-D by Adrian since the reunion until 2005. After that he is playing it in standrd.

They could slow it down a bit, coz there's something wrong with Bruce's breath going on. I hope it's not cancer recurrence - this time in lungs...
His voice and range are almost perfect, but the breath... he definitely gets choked for some reason.

He's just older, he runs around a lot, and his voice has changed with age, even without the chemotherapy.

Hallowed is played in standard. It has been played in drop-D by Adrian since the reunion until 2005. After that he is playing it in standrd.
I was always curious about this change. I don't really see the point of re-learning the song in E again after playing it in drop D ever since the reunion, especially since it honestly added to the song to have that drop D thing going on with one of the guitars. Although I originally assumed he stopped after 2001 since he changed back to standard tuning for a fair amount of songs after that tour IIRC, but changing it up well after that feels even more bizarre.

I was always curious about this change. I don't really see the point of re-learning the song in E again after playing it in drop D ever since the reunion, especially since it honestly added to the song to have that drop D thing going on with one of the guitars. Although I originally assumed he stopped after 2001 since he changed back to standard tuning for a fair amount of songs after that tour IIRC, but changing it up well after that feels even more bizarre.

It was probably just the fact that he couldn't have been arsed to change guitars, because 2MTM and TETMD were in standard before that. He played RTTH on the EggFest dates also in standard, because of the same reason. Another occasion are Drifter and Sanctuary at Ullevi, where he played them in standard.

Also CIPWM, which was played in drop D on SBIT tour and standard on ME tour, because it followed Moonchild immediately.

See, while that's probably the plausible explanation, it is a bit weird since he has plenty of time to switch guitars between TETMD and Hallowed since he only starts playing after the intro. But oh well, not like it matters much. I just think it's a neat bit of experimentation that adds to the song.

Back