The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I agree with DoG ... it was good, but not spectacular ... my least favorite of the new songs

I had high expectations for IESF and TBOS ... they both were even better than I thought. TRATB I thought worked better live than on the album .. same with TOAC

Blood Brothers was better than I expected .. not a massive fan of the song, but it worked great live and better than I thought as an encore. Same with Wasted Years, worked nicely as a closer and nice to have something else in that spot besides Running Free or Sanctuary.

Maintained expectations: The Red and the Black and If Eternity Should Fail. The instrumental in TRatB end was the best moment of the new album to me, and IESF is one of the best songs of the Reunion era

Exceeded expectations: Tears of a Clown. A cool song on studio becomes a monster song live

Let down: Death or Glory. A "meh, it's nice" song on the album became...a "meh, it's cool" song live. The band tried to give it a new life on the stage, but, ultimately, it was the weakest point of the whole set. Although the opening IS cool to hear live

OMG! WTF?

From: http://heavymetalfire.blogspot.com/2016/03/iron-maiden-accidente-mortal-en-su-gira.html?spref=fb
As recorded by the Brazilian newspaper Diario Do Nordeste , a truck loaded with sound equipment IRON MAIDEN they fell in the Brazilian state of Ceara ( up to Icó ) about 11 pm last Friday, March 25 . Unfortunately , the driver of the vehicle died , Edson Tareto , 44 .

Apparently , some people take advantage of the fatal rollover to steal some things.

The company responsible for the sound , Gabisom , commented: " All equipment and transport is assured and the greatest loss was the driver's life . The team was to deposit in Sao Paulo and would not be used more in the IRON MAIDEN tour . The rest of the team is already in a warehouse in Fortaleza. If they were ransacked accessories , but do not know. "

I haven't seen Maiden have so much fun on stage ever.
The part after the solo is hilarious:

Bruce waiting for H to kick his slide:

There's something about this tour. Songs in new places, more interesting places (like Blood Brothers and Wasted Years). It's refreshing, but also the band seems to be more into it, more alive. Maybe it's Bruce's cancer. Maybe it's a second (or third, or fourth) wind. But I'll take it when I can get it.

There's something about this tour. Songs in new places, more interesting places (like Blood Brothers and Wasted Years). It's refreshing, but also the band seems to be more into it, more alive. Maybe it's Bruce's cancer. Maybe it's a second (or third, or fourth) wind. But I'll take it when I can get it.

I agree, they have never had a tour I did not like, obviously some more than others .. .but this one seems really special

I think the band truly thought Bruce would not be able to sing again, or even would be alive. I had a "cancer situation" in my family and my ex girlfriend had leukemia, I can say how scary can be when you hear that a close one has cancer. They're relieved to be able to play again, it rejuvenated everyone. This, allied to the high quality and acceptance of the album (to me, as good as the 80s), it is definitely a 3rd life to Maiden.

They must be over the moon now, considering how well everyone is answering to the new songs on stage (IESF and TRaTB are being singed by the crowd as strong as the classics. At least they were here in Brazil)

So, I'm off to NYC later today for tomorrow's show. I'm taking the train up from DC with my Dad and we're going to the show together. My Dad and I have done this a few times before (2010, 2012 and 2013) and it's always a special experience that we share together.

Having already seen the tour in Vegas, I may be more excited for the second show just because I know how good it will be.

Up the Irons!

I was at the São Paulo gig, past Saturday and I can tell you it's the best Maiden gig since RIR 3! The Book Of Souls is haunting, live! Powerful gig! The DVD that'll come off this tour will be nothing shorter than EPIC!!! UP THE IRONS!!! \m/

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, they have never had a tour I did not like, obviously some more than others .. .but this one seems really special
I did not even attend the TFF tour because the only song they would play from the album was El Dorado. The only song that interested me was Dance of Death. So I didn't feel like going. I also did not need to see AMOLAD played in its entirety (in addition to useless classics). Other tours were fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epics are the cornerstone of a Maiden gig in my opinion and from the reviews so far it sounds as though TRATB and TBOS are monumental in concert.

I saw 3 TFF shows and it was The Talisman, DOD and WTWBB that were my absolute highlights. It was the same with ROTAM and Powerslave during Somewhere Back In Time.

For anyone who has seen a gig this year how do the epics compare with other reunion era tours as far as being the centrepiece of the show?

If we are looking at Steve's compositions in studio:
When The Wild Wind Blows>For The Greater Good Of God>The Red And The Black> No More Lies (x48)

If we look at Steve's compositions live and crowd reaction:
WTWWB=TRATB>No More Lies (x48)> FTGOGG

If we look at co-writes with Janick:
The Book Of Souls>Dance Of Death>The Talisman>The Legacy

If we look at co-writes live and crowd reaction:
TBOS=DOD>The Talisman>The Legacy

I still don't like TRATB, but it works live quite well. The oooohs were kinda pointles in the studio, but with 20000+ people they are not pointless anymore.

If we look at co-writes live and crowd reaction:
TBOS=DOD>The Talisman>The Legacy

I still don't like TRATB, but it works live quite well. The oooohs were kinda pointles in the studio, but with 20000+ people they are not pointless anymore.

Interesting, you think TBOS goes down as well as DOD? DOD seems to me to be the best received live tune of the reunion era (as well as a personal favourite, all time Top 5 I'd say). I'm not disputing your point just wondering if this is a widely held opinion. I haven't been to a show on this tour yet.

Totally agree with the 'whoas' on TRATB.

Interesting, you think TBOS goes down as well as DOD? DOD seems to me to be the best received live tune of the reunion era (as well as a personal favourite, all time Top 5 I'd say). I'm not disputing your point just wondering if this is a widely held opinion. I haven't been to a show on this tour yet.

Totally agree with the 'whoas' on TRATB.

The thing is that the song hasn't got any crowd interaction moment. But maybe we could say DOD>TBOS live. But TBOS is relatively new song so only time will tell.

The 'whoas' in Red and the Black sound to me like they were written with live performance in mind. That was part of my problem with this song when I first heard it. It sounded like Steve decided to cram absolutely every standard Maiden-typical device at his disposal into this song, in an effort to make it his/their best ever, and it ended up a bit of a disjointed mess. The Rime-type gallop, the 'whoas', the overly-cheery sounding 'reeed and the blaaaack' vocals, the guitar mirroring the vocal melody, the long instrumental. The ultimate formula Maiden song.

I hate the overly-cheery sounding 'reeed and the blaaaack' vocals and the guitar mirroring the vocal melody get old very quick. However, I love the last couple of mins. I don't think they would have such an impact without the boring/annoying stuff that comes before it. But it does seem to work live. Like El Dorado, I didn't dig this tune until I heard it live

Back