The Great ALEVIVOR Sleeps At Last... WINNERS!

Vote for your LEAST favorite song!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nancy, Set Sail, Ol' Spiced, End of Our Days, Black Sails, Pirate Song, Wolves.

Most of these aren't bad, but we gotta eliminate some eventually, right? :p

Most of these aren't bad, but we gotta eliminate some eventually, right? :p
Yeah, all the ones remaining are pretty strong as a whole. But then, when Sunset on the Golden Age hits the field, we're going to be tossing all these songs out faster than hotcakes cooking on a sidewalk in Texas...............................................right??

:ninja:

There are some strong songs on it, sure, but off the top of my head I'd probably rank it below the first two, but better than Back Through Time. We'll see when we get to it though, I haven't had a complete listen in a while :)

Well, it's a very interesting album, IMO. The first four songs are masterpieces (for Alestorm), and then the songs take a little dip and don't come back up until the final song. It's a very noticeable thing, too. Maybe it's just because "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)" is one of my favorite songs of all time and literally nothing could top that which makes it jarring, I'm not sure.

But that being said, what filler is there is still some damn good stuff. The album features their best production, best use of keyboards, best vocals, best guitar.... best overall. And it's one of those albums that literally grabbed me and forced me to listening to it again and again and again. Despite the drop in quality. The last time I heard it the drop wasn't too apparent.

Despite these inconsistencies, what I'm trying to say is that it's a very weird album because the high note ("1741") comes early on, but as a whole, it's still their best album and one of my personal favorites.

I'm half asleep, this post probably makes no sense at all.

Made perfect sense :)
And I agree that Cartagena is THE highlight of the album. Looking forward to giving it a proper run-through again and see where everything goes!

After much deliberation voting for "Over the Seas", "Nancy", "Set Sail and Conquer", "The Quest", "Famous Ol' Spiced", "Black Sails" and "No Quarter". I would really like "Captain Morgan's Revenge", Wenches and Mead" and "Keelhauled" to stay in but the rest are becoming harder to separate now that the more obvious album fillers have started to fall away.

116989_logo.jpg

Eliminated in Round 4:
That Famous Ol' Spiced (5 votes)
Of Treasure (4 votes)

Notice to all participants of the ALEVIVOR: Due to the fact that I'm leaving for Germany on Monday and will be away from my laptop there, the ALEVIVOR will be going on a bit of a hiatus for about three weeks. I was hoping to introduce Back Through Time before I left, but I think we need another round of this first. Vote within that timeframe and we will resume when I return. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, hopefully we can get rolling again when we start again.

And on another note, voting for Over The Seas, Nancy The Tavern Wench, Set Sail and Conquer, Leviathan, and No Quarter.

Good cover, although to be fair the original also sounded pretty good (especially considering it's Eurovision :D)

If you've ever heard the original of "You Are A Pirate" however, what they've mangaged to do with that is considerably more impressive.

Good cover, although to be fair the original also sounded pretty good (especially considering it's Eurovision :D)

If you've ever heard the original of "You Are A Pirate" however, what they've mangaged to do with that is considerably more impressive.
Yeah, "You Are A Pirate" is a phenomenal cover and I can't wait to see how far it goes when it enters our ALEVIVOR.

What's with all the votes for "The Quest"? Come on people, it's top 10 material for sure! :p

Voting for Nancy, Set Sail, End of Our Days, Black Sails, Pirate Song and Wolves.

Have a nice trip, @Diesel 11 !

Wow, people actually jumped right in to get their voting done fast this time. I'm quite tempted to update tonight and add Back Through Time in before I leave. Any opposed?

Alestorm-logo.png

Eliminated in Round 5:
Set Sail and Conquer (5 votes)
Nancy the Tavern Wench (3 votes)
The Quest (3 votes)
No Quarter (3 votes)
Wolves of the Sea (3 votes)

Back Through Time joins the game!

302666.jpg

• Back Through Time
  • Shipwrecked
  • The Sunk'n Norwegian
  • Midget Saw
  • Buckfast Powersmash
  • Scraping the Barrel
  • Rum
  • Swashbuckled
  • Rumpelkombo
  • Barrett's Privateers (Stan Rogers cover)
  • Death Throes of the Terrorsquid
  • Over The Seas
  • Captain Morgan's Revenge
  • Wenches & Mead
  • Leviathan
  • Keelhauled
  • To the Ends of Our Days
  • Black Sails at Midnight
  • Pirate Song

Back Through Time bonus tracks will appear in a later round, let's get through these first. And this is the final update for a while. Enjoy!

Alestorm - Back Through Time
  1. "Back Through Time" - Better than I remembered! Not the finest title track, but it's pretty fun.
  2. "Shipwrecked" - The closet Alestorm have ever come to repeating "Keelhauled"... but like "Keelhauled", it's a blast.
  3. "The Sunk'n Norwegian" - Fantastic song, a true Alestorm classic. Unfortunately, this was one of those songs one of my friends told me to check out when he was trying to get me into the band, and I just didn't see what all the fuss was. I do now. Thanks, Tug. :p
  4. "Midget Saw" - Cool but not terribly outstanding.
  5. "Buckfast Powersmash" - See above.
  6. "Scraping the Barrel" - A very dramatic song that's literally just Alestorm poking fun at themselves. I like it.
  7. "Rum" - Good song, though not a terribly imaginative chorus (and that really becomes apparent in live performances - bad closer!). Still enjoyable though.
  8. "Swashbuckled" - I've always liked the way this song puts three stories into one. Great stuff.
  9. "Rumpelkombo" - Ha.
  10. "Barrett's Privateers" - Awesome cover. I like the way Alestorm reinvented the Canadian classic. In fact, I prefer it to the original (though LC has warned me never to spout that kinda shit if I ever visit Nova Scotia. It wouldn't be pretty...).
  11. "Death Throes of the Terrorsquid" - The epic closer to the album and a fantastic song at that. Lots of neat stuff in this slow-burner, including the fact that they incorporated black metal into it. Always experimenting with their sound, these guys... Great stuff.
Good album. It and Black Sails at Midnight are probably tied for me, and both are a step above Captain Morgan's Revenge. Lots of neat stuff on the album.

Voting for the following:
  • Over The Seas
  • Wenches & Mead
  • Leviathan
  • To the Ends of Our Days
  • Back Through Time
  • Midget Saw
  • Buckfast Powersmash
  • Rum
  • Rumpelkombo

I really dig this album. It's a slight step up from Black Sails, which is a slight step up from Captain Morgan, which means this one is pretty great overall.

Voting for:

End of our Days
Midget Saw
Buckfast Powersmash
Rumpelkombo
Barrett's Privateers

Back