The Great ALEVIVOR Sleeps At Last... WINNERS!

Vote for your LEAST favorite song!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
0744af6b967594661931dafeef0c0a92.jpg

Eliminated in Round 8:
To the Ends of Our Days (5 votes)
In The Navy (5 votes)
Rum (4 votes)
Swashbuckled (4 votes)

One more round of this and then I think it's time to add in the masterpiece that is Sunset on the Golden Age. I'm hyped; are you?

Voting for "Over The Seas", "Leviathan", "Keelhauled", "Back Through Time", "Shipwrecked", and "Scraping the Barrel".

Can't have an Alevivor without some controversial choices :D (and I'm still mad that "The Quest" got the sack)

Well, so long as you don't go and vote for "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)" when it joins us.

Alestorm-logo.png

Eliminated in Round 9:
Leviathan (4 votes)
Back Through Time (4 votes)

We've been waiting for it since the game began, and it's finally time to unleash Alestorm's best work - Sunset on the Golden Age - into the mix.

Alestorm-Sunset-on-the-Golden-Age-01.jpg

1. Walk The Plank
  2. Drink
  3. Magnetic North
  4. 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)
  5. Mead From Hell
  6. Surf Squid Warfare
  7. Quest For Ships
  8. Wooden Leg
  9. Hangover (Taio Cruz cover)
  10. Sunset on the Golden Age
Bonus Tracks:
  • Oceans of Treasure (Rumahoy cover)
  • Rumpelkombo (Part III)
  • Questing Upon the Poop Deck

This is going to be a lot of fun going through again. I'll likely do that tomorrow.

Alestorm-Sunset-on-the-Golden-Age-01.jpg

Alestorm's debut album was a very good affair, filled with several great songs, though it also held its share of duds at the same stroke. Black Sails at Midnight cranked up the piracy and the metallic aspects and delivered a much stronger album. Back Through Time toned down the metalness a little, but retained the classic songwriter that made the first two albums work. But Sunset on the Golden Age took everything Alestorm and went to 11. To put it mildly - this album is fantastic.

We begin with "Walk The Plank", and from the very beginning you can tell that it's better than the previous three albums in every way. Firstly, the production is on-point. The previous albums didn't have terrible production, but it wasn't exactly perfect. This is pretty much just that. The guitars sound great, there's a lot of crunch here, and the balance with the keyboards is also on point. But the song itself... is awesome. It opens with a classic Alestorm guitar / keyboard bit, with the keyboard's "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dunDUNDUNDUN" being a great backdrop for the guitar / drum stuff that goes in and out. But then it suddenly gets faster, as riffing rips up the listener and drums come in with full force - and we're in! Bowes enters the scene with his signature whatever-it-is-he's-doing-vocally, telling us that killing time's about to begin and a traitor is gonna taste the wrath of the open seas. The pre-chorus, which brings up the threat of hammerhead sharks - always a great subject - is great, but the chorus is even better. It's fun, it's a sing-along song with plenty of greatness and it's just a fantastic opener all the way through. Excellent song.

As if that wasn't enough, Track 2 is awesome as well. Alestorm have had several great songs about their love of alcohol - "Wenches & Mead", "The Sunk'n Norwegian", etc. - but "Drink" is their absolute pinnacle. Guitars that start and stop bomb the listener and then the song really gets going upon Bowes's very direct "Oi you, gizz a beer!" The song bops around with some acoustic background and narration of how a pirate's life out on the open seas is far better than being cooped up on land, and then as electric guitar and keyboard enter the frame again we're met with one of the greatest choruses ever written by mortal man:

We are here to drink your beer
And steal your rum at the point of a gun
Your alcohol to us will fall
'Cuz we are here to drink your beer!
This is followed by a chorus of voices shouting "Drink!" repeatedly. If you don't join in, something's wrong with you. Another round of verses, this time referencing several previous Alestorm songs - which works to a T - and another two rounds of chorus make this song about as perfect as it could possibly be. This is Alestorm really at their height - it's goofy, it's fun, and it's a culmination of every other song they wrote about drinking on the first three albums all coming together in this piece of artistry.

As "Drink" comes to a close, a different type of song starts with the keyboard bit that begins "Magnetic North". You can feel the ice here, and it's only magnified as Bowes comes in with some quieter vocals and some strumming backs him for the first verse. As the electricity / keyboards enter the scene, the song gets heavier and runs towards a great chorus... or is that the chorus? Because after some "hey!" shouts, we run into another bit that could just as easily take that title. Well, it doesn't matter I suppose - both are good. Some screaming / growling follows this and works quite well as a part of the song, and then everything gets quiet again, only to return to heaviness and fold out the rest of the song in a great manner. This is about as epic as any near-four minute song has ever been. It has all the right ingredients for an epic, just not the run-time. Great stuff.

~~~ 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena) ~~~

But there is literally no time whatsoever to think about how good that song was, because we're already at Track 4. An audacious title announces itself to the reader of the tracklist. A song by the name of "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)". And a runtime of 7 minutes and 18 seconds. Pretty long for an Alestorm song, right? The question is obviously - will it work? Can they manage to live up to the challenge they've given themselves?

It's almost comical, then, that it would open with an 8bit piece. You're thinking to yourself, "Alright. Okay. This seems decent-" and then you're cut off in an instant because the actual keyboard riff comes in bang. And it is fantastic. As the guitar picks up in a flurry you're launched into a fantastic beginning for the song, with insane drumming backing insane guitarwork backing the greatest keyboard riff thing of all fucking time. You can see the ships before your eyes, buffeted by the wind, on a never-ending path through the open waters. And then Bowes comes in, and if you haven't been getting chills yet, you are now.

Sailing the raging seas to distant lands unknown
Portobello fell in a day, now Britannia rules the waves
Thirty thousand men at arms, Red Ensign in the sky
To Cartagena we set sail, with blood and plunder we'll PREVAIL!!

And there they are - the British fleet, on a path to the islands where they will kick Spanish ass, led by firm belief in their power after their previous victories. The keyboard / guitar riffage keeps up, never letting go for one second. Bowes continues:

Twice struck, and twice we've failed, but third time works a charm
The greatest fleet the world has seen, to fight the War of Jenkins' Ear
Waters lash across the bows through Caribbean seas
The year is 1741 - the final battle has begun!

This song was by no means my introduction to the War of Jenkins' Ear. I had read about it prior in a book about 'sea mysteries' - this mystery namely being whether or not the sensational tale of Robert Jenkins having his ear severed by the Spanish and then showing it in front of parliament was true or not. That's lost to the sands of time, but the War itself was a very real conflict. The fact that Alestorm and my readings had met up together in such a fantastic song only furthered my love of it. And there you can see again in your mind - the confident English, sailing on towards their destination as wind and water buffet them. But they will not stop. And neither will the song, which brings us right up into one of the band's finest choruses ever:

The skies are burning with thunder
The seas are ablaze with flame
Set the course for Cartagena
The sands of time will remember our names!

History's written today!

There they are - our 'heroes', sailing in as the sky billows and the water spurts, as weapons of destruction tear up flesh and blood in a blaze of light. Confident, not turning back - they will see to it that they end up the victors. The sands of time will remember their names (not for the reasons they believe, however...). Meanwhile, verse three comes into play:

Across the sea-lashed deck, our captain gives a cry:
"Cartagena lies ahead! The Spanish foe will soon be dead!"
Portents of coming doom engulf the battle lines
High above, the heavens sigh - a red light burning in the sky!

Those final three words are uttered in a growl, which takes you by surprise for a moment. A bit of music and then you're at the next bits of verse, which are entirely expressed via growls and screamings:

An omen of dread
Which no man can deny
The legends hold true -
We must turn back or die!

"Superstitious fools!
Be gone from my sight!
Blast the trumpets of war
And prepare for the fight!"

I think this bit is actually very good, despite the difference with the rest of the song, as it keeps everything fresh and avoids having samey stuff throughout. The main keyboard / guitar stuff comes back after this, and then slows down a bit, only for the song to re-emerge with a great solo, that captures the essence of everything the song has done so far. When it finishes, we enter a second time into the fantastic chorus:

History's written today!

Suddenly the song gets quieter, retaining a great deal of atmosphere in a simple bit of drumming that keeps it rolling. Then electric guitars come back for another solo-ey section. It leaves the listener time to catch their breath, as it starts up again with a keyboard-led section, which I think is fantastic. You can see the wind, you can see the ships, you can see the brave souls heading towards their foe. As it ends, the song sort of slows for Bowes to take control as our captain, as he gives orders to his crew:

Hard to starboard!
Man the cannons!
And on my command -
Unleash hell!

The drumming increases, and then it all explodes into:

FIRE! Show them your steel!
Bring them to death on the battlefield!
Ride on the wind and conquer the foe!
The legends be damned - to our deaths we will go!

They weren't far off with that line, as Cartagena would be a resounding failure for the British and a success for the Spaniards. But these people didn't know that just yet. Driven by a yearn for glory, the song slows down again as a variation on the keyboard riff takes over and the guitar and drums bucket up and down in a stop-go motion. Finally, it rears itself up again and we are once more led into that chorus for a final time:

HISTORY'S WRITTEN TODAY!

And as a final bit of guitar and keyboard wrap it all up, the song ends, having accomplished in 7 minutes and 18 seconds more than most artists achieve in a full discography.

This song is, without a doubt, by no stretch of the term - perfect. This song is perfect. Every single little bit, every single piece, all of it fucking works perfectly. The scope of it, the lyrics, the keyboard, the guitar, the drums, the vocals, the title, the length, the idea - Every. Fucking. Thing. Works. Perfectly. This song is one of the definitions of the word. If I were to write a dictionary, this is one of the examples I'd give. It is simply an apocalypse of music. If I were to go through and compile a list of my favorite songs and exclude Maiden completely, then this song would undoubtedly a member of the Top 3. Even with Maiden, it's still Top 10 material. It's Alestorm branching out and doing something more Sabaton-esque, writing a song based on a real event in history. And my god... they pull it off in spades. "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)" is the pinnacle of Alestorm's discography and one of the greatest songs of all time.

I love it.

~~~ 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena) ~~~

Christ, I got so wound up in that single song I completely forgot I was actually reviewing an album. So if "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)" is so fantastic, how could the rest of the album possibly top it? The answer is simply: it can't, but that's okay, because what we have instead is still very good. "Mead From Hell" is little more than a fun piece about a mind-bending drink, and it's a very enjoyable listen. I particularly like the creativity of the verses, and while the chorus is standard Alestorm fare, it holds its own.

"Surf Squid Warfare" is better than the previous one, opening with a surf rock style thing and keeps the flow with a very beach-like atmosphere. A very enjoyable song which I enjoy more and more with each listen. The Back to the Future reference is a fun one, but what I like most is the line "We're class! You're not!" One of Alestorm's best lines, actually. The growling of the title at the end is also a great moment.

The next song, "Quest For Ships", is also just a bucket of fun, a great romp narrated by a man who has a yearning to go sailing but needs a fuckin' boat first. Cool stuff overall. "Wooden Leg", meanwhile, is a short song that gets straight to the point with an excellent bass intro before getting heavy fast. Narrating a tale of rum, cannons, and legs, I'm always blown away by the repetition of the chorus, which is just about mindboggling... there's so much of it! It still works though, but I'd love to know what they were drinking when they decided that screaming "WOODEN LEG! WOODEN LEG! WOO-DEN LEG!" over and over was the perfect basis for a song.

And then of course, the typical Alestorm cover, this one being "Hangover", originally by Taio Cruz. And they Alestorm it up quite well, too. It's not their best cover, but it's certainly a good one, loads of fun when listening to it and it's almost surprising that they didn't write it themselves. The rap section is pretty great, too.

And then finally, we've one song left to go - the title track. "Sunset on the Golden Age" is massive. Truly fucking massive. This song is a behemoth. Alestorm's longest to date, it's a relentless driving beast that never lets up. It's also one of their best, too, featuring some intense lyrics that perfectly narrate one coming to terms with their legacy dying out before their own eyes. A fantastic song, every minute of it. I honestly think the album climaxes twice, first with "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)", and then with this. Both are awesome.

It's been over an hour since I started writing this, but I think I can sum everything up concisely with - this is the best Alestorm album they've released yet. Everything else pales in comparison. It's got a nice mix of fun songs, but also songs that push themselves forward as musicians. It features four songs which are Top 10 worthy ("Walk The Plank", "Drink", "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)", and "Sunset on the Golden Age", and the first three might just be my Top 3) and six other songs which are still very good. My first listens seemed weird, given how it peaks at "1741" and can't top it, but with each further listen of it, I enjoy the full piece more and more. No bad songs, some filler, maybe, but it's still damn fine stuff. My favorite Alestorm album and one of my favorite albums overall. I love it.

Great stuff. Go listen to it. And don't you dare vote for "1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)" or I will come after you harder than a rabid dog to a chicken leg.

Rating: Fucking awesome/10

"Oceans of Treasure" is actually a cover that I like a lot, but I'll sacrifice it for the greater good. I actually prefer "Part III" to the original "Rumpelkombo", but that makes no difference because I'll throw it under the bus as well, alongside that decent but pointless "Questing Upon the Poop Deck".

So, because I haven't the heart to vote for anything from Sunset on the Golden Age yet, I'm voting for:
  • Over The Seas
  • Wenches & Mead
  • Keelhauled
  • Shipwrecked
  • Scraping the Barrel
  • Oceans of Treasure
  • Rumpelkombo (Part III)
  • Questing Upon the Poop Deck

Nah mate, "Wooden Leg", "Surf Squid Warfare" and "Hangover" can go for a start :D. "Hangover" is the only Alestorm cover I don't actually like (although I don't usually flick over it on playthroughs). A lot of this album is just fun, which I'm absolutely fine with of course. "1741" however, I think is Alestorm's first proper attempt to write a real historical seafaring epic a la "Rime" or "Talisman". With this and "Sunset" they are starting to break away from their popular image as a novelty rock band with no real depth. I don't think we've had the last surprise from them yet.

Also, happy International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Ahoy!
character0240.gif

Sunset on the Golden Age
  • Walk the Plank - Good, energetic song. Much better opener than "Back Through Time". Nice riff and chorus.
  • Drink - Silly song. I know it was released as a single and had a music video made, but really, it's only saved by being catchy - otherwise it's not that interesting. Clearly made for audience participation. Vote.
  • Magnetic North - Great melancholic tune. I like how the harsh vocals provide a good contrast to the more melodic parts. One of the best on the album!
  • 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena) - THE best song on the album. Wow! Let's be honest, the short videogame-ish intro is completely unnecessary, but it's such a small criticism of an otherwise perfect song. It has it all - catchy melodes, more harsh vocals (that is utilized perfectly, mind you), great solos, and most importantly, the best chorus since "Captain Morgan's Revenge"!
  • Mead From Hell - Another silly song, but with decent melodies. The guitar solo is the highlight of this one.
  • Surf Squid Warfare - This starts off being pretty unremarkable, but then... cool chorus. Nice rhythmic variations going on afterwards! Another nice solo! I'm actually digging this one a lot.
  • Quest for Ships - Uninteresting song, with only a few good moments. Vote.
  • Wooden Leg - Nah, this isn't really good either. The intro is promising, the rest doesn't deliver. Vote.
  • Hangover - Yet another cover. Silly but decent stuff, good fun and catchy. I'll leave it for now.
  • Sunset on the Golden Age - The longest song of Alestorm's career so far, and well... they do better with the shorter ones. Don't get me wrong, it's good that they try doing something different, but overall this tune feels too long and bloated in my opinion. Still, I like the atmosphere it manages to create, and it surely deserves to stay for a while.
  • Oceans of Treasure - Another cover, another average song. Vote.
  • Rumpelkombo - ...did we really need another one? Vote.
  • Questing Upon the Poop Deck - Nah, nothing above average here. Vote.

Overall a strong album, and definitely an improvement over the lackluster Back Through Time. Some of Alestorm's very best song are featured here, and while it contains no truly bad song, there are a few underwhelming ones too.

Also voting for "Black Sails", "Pirate Song", "Sunk'n Norwegian" and "Barrett's Privateers".

Let's be honest, the short videogame-ish intro is completely unnecessary
No it's not!! :p

Seriously, I think it's the perfect way to begin a song of such magnitude. It seems silly at first, but once the real thing begins that piece suddenly makes sense.

Yeah, this album is fantastic. Wooden Leg is really the only song here that I could do without. I guess Surf Squid isn't really all that amazing either, but I'll refrain from voting for it for this round, at least.

Everything else pretty much ranges somewhere between awesome and incredible.

Over the Seas
Pirate Song
Barrett's Privateers
Wooden Leg
Oceans of Treasure
Rumpelkombo III
Questing Upon the Poop Deck

In other news, I'll be seeing this band tonight! :yey::rocker::D

Alestorm_Logo_2011.png

Eliminated in Round 10:
Rumpelkombo (Part III) (6 votes)
Wooden Leg (5 votes)