THE FUTURE PAST TOUR - The Setlist Contest! WINNERS: blackie2380, MrKnickerbocker & Collin

The last time I remember prominent speculation based on t-shirts, it was coming off of the Maiden England tour and folks were expecting a 90s nostalgia tour (we got Maiden England leg 3 instead).
That Clairvoyant shirt btw looks fucking awesome. Just ordered that one.

Iron Maiden
The Future Past Tour
Diesel's Prediction

Tape: "Doctor Doctor" by UFO
Intro: "End Titles" from Blade Runner

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Days of Future Past
3. The Trooper
4. The Writing on the Wall
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. The Parchment
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. The Time Machine
9. Fear of the Dark
10. Hell on Earth
11. Iron Maiden

— Encore 1 —
12. The Number of the Beast
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name

14. Wasted Years

— Encore 2 —
15. Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.)
Except opener, incredibly plausible and extremely balanced.
2023 TOUR AWARDS (PREDICTION)

"SOCIAL MEDIA MADNESS!"- A LONG-AWAITED RETURN
AKA FLIGHT OF ICARUS 2018 TROPHY
Stranger in a Strange Land
PEDESTRIAN OF THE YEAR AKA ACES HIGH & RUN TO THE HILLS 2022 TROPHY
Hallowed Be Thy Name
"Now THAT'S a surprise!" AKA AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS 2012 TROPHY
Killers

Do we get points for these?

Do we get points for these?

Nope, as these can be very subjective views and debatable e.g if there's more than one clear candidate. But I'll gather and sump up these predictions as well when they get the tour underway.

Guessing a big surprise song etc. obviously deserves a Honorable Mention in the Setlist Prediction Scoreboard & Hall of Fame. :D For example, only two members guessed Sign of the Cross for the 2018 set!

1. Days Of Future Past
2. Futureal
3. Writing on the Wall
4. Lost in a Lost World
5. Rainmaker
6. The Trooper
7. Hell on Earth
8. The Time Machine
9. Caught Somewhere in Time
10. Stranger in a Strange Land
11. The Number of the Beast
12. Wasted Years
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden

Encore:
15. Alexander the Great
16. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
17. Only the Good Die Young

This is how I would do it, i dont expect it to be in that order. Thy will never ever close with Only the good die young eventough it would be the perfect song for it. I believe they gonna play the rest of them and swap The Loneliness of the long distance runner from show 2 onward for Heaven can wait. According to my playlist this ist 1h45 long including some live versions so not to long i hope.

From the tour poster: Eddie in space capsule. The capsule has got number AA853.
In google AA853 is flight from Charlotte to Charleston.
Spoiler forCharlotte the Harlot or 22 Acacia Avenue?

Here's my attempt:
5 SIT
5 Senjutsu
6 Classics

First 2 songs are the same as Somewhere on Tour.
Heaven Can Wait followed by Hell on Earth references the Belshazzars Feast poster.
NOTB follows from the Hell topic and begins a run of the usuals before Alexander in the Encore.
Finishing on Wasted Years seems a safe bet after it worked well on TBOS tour.

Overall I feel this is quite a realistic set. There's no wildcard song thats unexpected, but honestly with the amount of songs they already need to learn for this tour I think that will be considered enough "new" stuff.

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. Days of Future Past
4. Writing on the Wall
6. Trooper
7. Time Machine
8. Stratego
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Hell on Earth
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore
14. Alexander the Great
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Wasted Years

Last edited:
From the tour poster: Eddie in space capsule. The capsule has got number AA853.
In google AA853 is flight from Charlotte to Charleston.
Spoiler forCharlotte the Harlot or 22 Acacia Avenue?

It's also a number for certain Spitfire. The very same ship is also in the original Somewhere in Time artwork. Might be a reference of course, but I doubt this one.

I don't know if this should be posted here but I wanted to point out that in the teaser trailer for the Future Past tour we can clearly see not only the "5-5" hint as many indicated but also to the letters "WOTW" next to Samurai Eddie (around 0:15 in the linked video). Does this mean Writing on the Wall will make a return to the set list? I think it is very plausible since it is arguably Senjutsu's most popular song (along with Hell on Earth I think).

Maybe taking hints from the teaser trailer is somewhat far fetched but I beg to differ since Maiden really went on an "easter egg hunt" back when Senjutsu had to be released.

I don't know if this should be posted here but I wanted to point out that in the teaser trailer for the Future Past tour we can clearly see not only the "5-5" hint as many indicated but also to the letters "WOTW" next to Samurai Eddie (around 0:15 in the linked video). Does this mean Writing on the Wall will make a return to the set list? I think it is very plausible since it is arguably Senjutsu's most popular song (along with Hell on Earth I think).

Maybe taking hints from the teaser trailer is somewhat far fetched but I beg to differ since Maiden really went on an "easter egg hunt" back when Senjutsu had to be released.

WOTW is a certainty, been a huge hit for them and referenced in the tour video.

Heaven Can Wait followed by Hell on Earth references the Belshazzars Feast poster.
^ Spot on. I never thought of that.
There's no wildcard song thats unexpected, but honestly with the amount of songs they already need to learn for this tour I think that will be considered enough "new" stuff.
Maybe you're right, but why not 5 Classics + 1 Deep Cut or 4 Classics + 2 Deep cuts. It's not that impossible.
Overall I feel this is quite a realistic set.

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. Days of Future Past
4. Writing on the Wall
6. Trooper
7. Time Machine
8. Stratego
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Hell on Earth
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
14. Alexander the Great
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Wasted Years
Not that I don't agree, but I think Stratego (and Senjutsu), Heaven Can Wait and even 2 Minutes To Midnight are not that certain. Also we'll get another epic from Senjutsu, I'm sure. I don't want Wasted Years to be the closer again.
... since it is arguably Senjutsu's most popular song (along with Hell on Earth I think).

Hints in tour posters & promo video are something we know Maiden likes to do, especially since the promotional campaign for Senjutsu.

Btw, which would you say is the most popular song from the album after Hell On Earth and The Writing On The Wall? I'd say The Parchment, Stratego or the title track(?). Days Of Future Past is 50/50, but Darkest Hour, The Time Machine, Lost In A Lost World and maybe even Death Of The Celts are probably after it.

^ Spot on. I never thought of that.

Maybe you're right, but why not 5 Classics + 1 Deep Cut or 4 Classics + 2 Deep cuts. It's not that impossible.

Not that I don't agree, but I think Stratego (and Senjutsu), Heaven Can Wait and even 2 Minutes To Midnight are not that certain. Also we'll get another epic from Senjutsu, I'm sure. I don't want Wasted Years to be the closer again.

Hints in tour posters & promo video are something we know Maiden likes to do, especially since the promotional campaign for Senjutsu.

Btw, which would you say is the most popular song from the album after Hell On Earth and The Writing On The Wall? I'd say The Parchment, Stratego or the title track(?). Days Of Future Past is 50/50, but Darkest Hour, The Time Machine, Lost In A Lost World and maybe even Death Of The Celts are probably after it.
According to YouTube numbers: Parchment (2.4 million), Celts (2.1 m), Lost (1.9 m) and Future Past (1.9) lead. (Not counting the obvious singles we heard before the album) And Senjutsu (the song) being the opening and title track has advantage, yet has 3.3 m views. Hell on Earth of course is one of the most popular as you said with having 6.6 m on Youtube. Yet on Spotify, Hell has 5.740.841 listenings (mainstream guys couldn't come to the end of the album i guess and missed this masterpiece).

If we look at Spotify, Lost in a Lost World makes a surprise with 7.312.650 listenings (yet I think it has an advantage of coming just after Writing, the most popular song of Senjutsu). Days of Future Past has 12.480.064, but being the shortest song and logical choice for the "new metal tracks" playlist, it has a great advantage. On the other hand the opening and title track Senjutsu has 10.061.999 listenings.

So if they are looking at YouTube, Parchement can make a surprise. If they are looking at Spotify, Lost in a Lost World can make a surprise. And if they are analyzing all this: Writing on the Wall and Hell on Earth are the "must"s. Because of the title of the tour Days of Future Past is another one. So 2 songs left... (I think they will not risk and play Senjutsu and Stratego) I hope they play their surprise cards more on the off-Senjutsu part of the gig.

That's a good one. I think I'd have to go with Stratego.

Especially since that song was played live, there is a live performance of it on Youtube and that is arguably the song that has the most rhythm (Writing on the Wall aside here). I think big Maiden fans will really appreciate and love the epics. I know I, and many other people here, love The Parchment and can't wait to hear it live! But for someone who is not a Maiden fan or is just getting into them, Stratego is more accessible.

I'd say it's definitely not the title track. I've only seen them live since the Book of Souls tour, but in terms of every single new song I've ever seen them do, Senjutsu's had the most subdued reaction - even Tears got a better reaction from the crowd.

2. Days of Future Past
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. Stranger in a Strange Land
5. The Trooper
6. The Parchment
7. Futureal
8. The Time Machine
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Hell on Earth
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

Encore:
13. Alexander the Great
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
15. Wasted Years

Last edited:
I’ll probably change my thoughts on this setlist multiple times, but I think it will look like this:
  2. Days of Future Past
  3. Futureal
  4. The Writing on the Wall
  5. Heaven Can Wait
  6. The Time Machine
  7. The Trooper
  8. The Parchment
  9. Stranger in a Strange Land
  10. Wasted Years
  11. Hell on Earth
  12. The Number of the Beast
  13. Iron Maiden
Encore
14. 2 Minutes to Midnight
15. Phantom of the Opera

Encore 2
16. Alexander the Great

Yes, I think they’ll leave out Fear and Hallowed, just to make enough room for other songs essential to this tour.

Last edited:
My new prediction:

01. Caught Somewhere in Time - This song might be the Aces High of the tour, so I'm not sure how much I look forward to it
02. 2 Minutes to Midnight - It was dropped the last time, I feel like it's going to come back now
03. The Writing On The Wall - most popular song of the album, and the tour promo video features it
04. The Trooper - tour promo video again, but I wouldn't miss it
05. The Time Machine - the mandatory Janick song
06. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - originally I wouldn't have considered this one, but Steve wants to play it
07. The Parchment - pretty popular, nice break for Bruce and they said they want to play epicS from Senjutsu
08. Stranger in a Strange Land - tour promo, 100% confirmed
09. Days of Future Past - they must play it if they named a tour after it
10. Hell on Earth - the other Senjutsu epic, one of the centerpieces
11. Fear of the Dark - never going to be dropped again
12. Iron Maiden
---------------------------
13. Alexander the Great - whole point of the tour
14. Total Eclipse - not my favorite, but I have a feeling they will play it
15. Wasted Years - works great as the closer

1 hour 40 minutes, but add a few brakes and it's more like 1 hour 50 minutes. I think they are going to stick with 15 songs.
Yeah, I left out both TNOTB and Hallowed. I think Hallowed is too long to fit in, this tour already features too many long songs. Number of the Beast can easily replace Total Eclipse, but I'm so tired of it, I hope it gets dropped finally.

Red = Actual Songs

Here's my take. And I'm adding what everyone's forgotten.

1. Intro (Possibly Blade Runner Theme)
2. Caught Somewhere In Time
3. Days of Future Past
4. Wrathchild
5. Sea Of Madness
6. Wasted Years
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. The Time Machine

9. Walking On Glass/Walking In The Air (The solo played throughout somewhere on tour)
10. Stranger In A Strange Land
11. The Trooper
12. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
13. The
Parchment
14. Heaven Can Wait
15. Fear Of The Dark
16. Iron Maiden

17. Crowd
18. Hallowed Be Thy Name
19. Run To The Hills
20. Sanctuary
21. Alexander The Great

Standard 18 track concert that maiden would normally do.
I included walking in the air because Iron Maiden did that a lot back in 1986-1987.
- Aka walking on glass/walking in the air

Back