THE FUTURE PAST TOUR - The Setlist Contest! WINNERS: blackie2380, MrKnickerbocker & Collin

That Walking On Glass recording..... Huh, sounds so immensely great. And that guitar sound..... to be then and there to me feels like some enlightenment event or holy mass... And say what you want, but they sounded so much better in the 80's Guitar sound was so f* upfront, raw fat and metal.

Last edited:
Obviously would never happen but it would be so cool if Dave and Adrian dusted off the Gallien-Kreugers fo the SiT tracks

Here's my attempt:
5 SIT
5 Senjutsu
6 Classics

First 2 songs are the same as Somewhere on Tour.
Heaven Can Wait followed by Hell on Earth references the Belshazzars Feast poster.
NOTB follows from the Hell topic and begins a run of the usuals before Alexander in the Encore.
Finishing on Wasted Years seems a safe bet after it worked well on TBOS tour.

Overall I feel this is quite a realistic set. There's no wildcard song thats unexpected, but honestly with the amount of songs they already need to learn for this tour I think that will be considered enough "new" stuff.

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. Days of Future Past
4. Writing on the Wall
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. Trooper
7. Time Machine
8. Stratego
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Hell on Earth
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
14. Alexander the Great
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Wasted Years
I would love to get this setlist.

I feel it's quite realistic (I guess we'll find out on the night! ) but a bit too safe for me. It seems like it would have a good flow though.

I'd love them to do Sea of Madness instead of HCW, and maybe drop NOTB/FOTD for a unexpected deep cut, but I know the band can be a bit lazy with keeping the setlist very familiar.

So I went through every post in this thread so far and tallied up every single song that's been mentioned and how often they were submitted as part of the contest. Allowing some room for error, this is the result:

78 - Iron Maiden
77 - Wasted Years
75 - Stranger in a Strange Land

71 - The Writing on the Wall
71 - Hell on Earth
70 - Days of Future Past

69 - Alexander the Great
66 - The Trooper
66 - Fear of the Dark
63 - Heaven Can Wait
55 - The Number of the Beast
55 - Hallowed Be Thy Name
52 - Caught Somewhere in Time
52 - The Time Machine
47 - The Parchment

41 - Sea of Madness
33 - Stratego
22 - 2 Minutes to Midnight
14 - Senjutsu
12 - Futureal
12 - Death of the Celts
9 - Run to the Hills
9 - Darkest Hour
7 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
6 - The Evil That Men Do
5 - Sanctuary
5 - Running Free
5 - Phantom of the Opera
5 - Deja-Vu
5 - Brave New World
5 - Lost in a Lost World
4 - Wrathchild
4 - Children of the Damned
4 - The Prisoner
4 - Only the Good Die Young
2 - Remember Tomorrow
2 - Killers
2 - The Clairvoyant
1 - Prowler
1 - 22 Acacia Avenue
1 - Total Eclipse
1 - Reach Out
1 - Sheriff of Huddersfield
1 - Infinite Dreams
1 - Can I Play With Madness
1 - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
1 - Afraid to Shoot Strangers
1 - Sign of the Cross
1 - 2 A.M.
1 - The Clansman
1 - The Wicker Man
1 - Blood Brothers
1 - Dream of Mirrors
1 - Out of the Silent Planet
1 - Rainmaker
1 - Dance of Death
1 - Face in the Sand
1 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
1 - The Book of Souls
1 - (New Song)

Some notes:

The fifteen most submitted songs actual perfectly fit the 5 samurai / 5 cyborg / 5 classics design that a lot of us have been using as the framework for our submissions:

5 Samurai
"The Writing on the Wall"
"Days of Future Past"
"The Time Machine"
"The Parchment"
"Hell on Earth"

5 Cyborg
"Caught Somewhere in Time"
"Wasted Years"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Stranger in a Strange Land"
"Alexander the Great"

5 Classics
"Iron Maiden"
"The Number of the Beast"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"The Trooper"
"Fear of the Dark"

What surprised me was that only two peoples' setlists comprised in full of just this list of songs: my own submission, and the first one posted in this thread. It makes me feel a little bit better about my setlist, although at the same time I did play it fairly safe. But the selection of songs pretty much hit the spot for everyone involved and some songs like "Fear of the Dark" would be enhanced if slotted into the set in the right fashion (I think the flow of the setlist I made is phenomenal, with each song complementing the next; "Time Machine" bringing us to "Fear of the Dark" would refresh an overplayed staple).

At the same time, besides the two of us, everyone else had something (at least) slightly different from this core list. Those four Harris epics are definitely going to be wildcards. Most people think that "Hell on Earth" is set in stone, and that "Lost in a Lost World" is the least likely, but it's just gonna come down to how they feel once they start doing rehearsals. I think that "The Parchment" will be one that Bruce and Steve will fight for, because its sprawling nature gives the singer a much-needed break and the dark energy of the song will come across massive through the speakers, especially once we cross the finish line into the gallop break towards the end. Think along the lines of "The Red and the Black". But who knows right now. Some have included just one of the big epics in their submissions; others included three. It's anyone's guess as to what the band will go for in the end. Even "Hell on Earth" may not be the pillar a lot of people think it is.

And beyond that, there are numerous little shifts that one could make with some of these songs - including "Trooper" and not "Fear", or vice versa; including "Number" and not "Hallowed", or vice versa; "Caught" and not "Sea"; etc, etc. And then there are songs that I think must've been included under the influence of illegal substances. No way they'll play "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" after the previous tour. "Face in the Sand"? "2 A.M."? Really? And this isn't even getting into the shitposting of "Sheriff of Huddersfield" and "Reach Out", which I still included to be entirely fair. And no, there will not be a new song debuted, certainly not in this leg of the tour.

Interesting that nobody submitted "Rime", despite it being a staple from the SoTour. But with so many Senjutsu monsters to sort through, I definitely doubt that they'll include it.

Anyway, just a fun little project for an afternoon to give us some scope with what we're dealing with. Ultimately nothing is secure until we finally see the result come May, but it's been a lot of fun coming up with plausible scenarios for what the boys will decide on.

but I know the band can be a bit lazy with keeping the setlist very familiar.
True, but the last 2 tours were a step in the right direction. It's still 50/50 whether they will play another deep cut beside the SIT songs.
And say what you want, but they sounded so much better in the 80's Guitar sound was so f* upfront, raw fat and metal.
I really like the sound of the solos in the newer live albums.
So I went through every post in this thread so far and tallied up every single song that's been mentioned and how often they were submitted as part of the contest. Allowing some room for error, this is the result:

78 - Iron Maiden
77 - Wasted Years

71 - Hell on Earth
70 - Days of Future Past

69 - Alexander the Great
66 - The Trooper
66 - Fear of the Dark
63 - Heaven Can Wait
52 - The Time Machine
47 - The Parchment

41 - Sea of Madness
33 - Stratego
14 - Senjutsu
12 - Futureal
12 - Death of the Celts
9 - Run to the Hills
9 - Darkest Hour
6 - The Evil That Men Do
5 - Sanctuary
5 - Running Free
5 - Phantom of the Opera
5 - Deja-Vu
5 - Brave New World
5 - Lost in a Lost World
4 - Wrathchild
4 - The Prisoner
2 - Remember Tomorrow
2 - Killers
2 - The Clairvoyant
1 - Prowler
1 - 22 Acacia Avenue
1 - Total Eclipse
1 - Reach Out
1 - Infinite Dreams
1 - Sign of the Cross
1 - 2 A.M.
1 - The Clansman
1 - The Wicker Man
1 - Blood Brothers
1 - Dream of Mirrors
1 - Rainmaker
1 - Dance of Death
1 - Face in the Sand
1 - The Book of Souls
1 - (New Song)

Some notes:

The fifteen most submitted songs actual perfectly fit the 5 samurai / 5 cyborg / 5 classics design that a lot of us have been using as the framework for our submissions:

5 Samurai
"Days of Future Past"
"The Time Machine"
"The Parchment"
"Hell on Earth"

5 Cyborg
"Wasted Years"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Alexander the Great"

5 Classics
"Iron Maiden"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"The Trooper"
"Fear of the Dark"

What surprised me was that only two peoples' setlists comprised in full of just this list of songs: my own submission, and the first one posted in this thread. It makes me feel a little bit better about my setlist, although at the same time I did play it fairly safe. But the selection of songs pretty much hit the spot for everyone involved and some songs like "Fear of the Dark" would be enhanced if slotted into the set in the right fashion (I think the flow of the setlist I made is phenomenal, with each song complementing the next; "Time Machine" bringing us to "Fear of the Dark" would refresh an overplayed staple).

At the same time, besides the two of us, everyone else had something (at least) slightly different from this core list. Those four Harris epics are definitely going to be wildcards. Most people think that "Hell on Earth" is set in stone, and that "Lost in a Lost World" is the least likely, but it's just gonna come down to how they feel once they start doing rehearsals. I think that "The Parchment" will be one that Bruce and Steve will fight for, because its sprawling nature gives the singer a much-needed break and the dark energy of the song will come across massive through the speakers, especially once we cross the finish line into the gallop break towards the end. Think along the lines of "The Red and the Black". But who knows right now. Some have included just one of the big epics in their submissions; others included three. It's anyone's guess as to what the band will go for in the end. Even "Hell on Earth" may not be the pillar a lot of people think it is.

And beyond that, there are numerous little shifts that one could make with some of these songs - including "Trooper" and not "Fear", or vice versa; including "Number" and not "Hallowed", or vice versa; "Caught" and not "Sea"; etc, etc. And then there are songs that I think must've been included under the influence of illegal substances. No way they'll play "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" after the previous tour. "Face in the Sand"? "2 A.M."? Really? And this isn't even getting into the shitposting of "Sheriff of Huddersfield" and "Reach Out", which I still included to be entirely fair. And no, there will not be a new song debuted, certainly not in this leg of the tour.

Interesting that nobody submitted "Rime", despite it being a staple from the SoTour. But with so many Senjutsu monsters to sort through, I definitely doubt that they'll include it.

Anyway, just a fun little project for an afternoon to give us some scope with what we're dealing with. Ultimately nothing is secure until we finally see the result come May, but it's been a lot of fun coming up with plausible scenarios for what the boys will decide on.
These 15 Samurai/Cyborg/Classics songs are probably what we would get. Still awesome. No disappointment.

Hell On Earth is certain, there's no way they won't play it. Parchment too because it's an easy song to play live. Otherwise, I agree with your thoughts.

Here's my attempt:
5 SIT
5 Senjutsu
6 Classics

First 2 songs are the same as Somewhere on Tour.
Heaven Can Wait followed by Hell on Earth references the Belshazzars Feast poster.
NOTB follows from the Hell topic and begins a run of the usuals before Alexander in the Encore.
Finishing on Wasted Years seems a safe bet after it worked well on TBOS tour.

Overall I feel this is quite a realistic set. There's no wildcard song thats unexpected, but honestly with the amount of songs they already need to learn for this tour I think that will be considered enough "new" stuff.

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. Days of Future Past
4. Writing on the Wall
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. Trooper
7. Time Machine
8. Stratego
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Hell on Earth
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
14. Alexander the Great
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Wasted Years
Otherwise same songs and same order, but I would replace 2 minutes with Futureal, and place to further to the set.

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. The Trooper
5. The Time Machine
6. Stranger in a Strange Land
7. Days of Future Past
8. Heaven Can Wait
9. The Parchment
10. Iron Maiden
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Wasted Years
13. Hell on Earth

ENCORE:
1. Alexander the Great
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Blood Brothers

78 - Iron Maiden
77 - Wasted Years

71 - Hell on Earth
70 - Days of Future Past

69 - Alexander the Great
66 - The Trooper
66 - Fear of the Dark
63 - Heaven Can Wait
52 - The Time Machine
47 - The Parchment

41 - Sea of Madness
33 - Stratego
14 - Senjutsu
12 - Futureal
12 - Death of the Celts
9 - Run to the Hills
9 - Darkest Hour
6 - The Evil That Men Do
5 - Sanctuary
5 - Running Free
5 - Phantom of the Opera
5 - Deja-Vu
5 - Brave New World
5 - Lost in a Lost World
4 - Wrathchild
4 - The Prisoner
2 - Remember Tomorrow
2 - Killers
2 - The Clairvoyant
1 - Prowler
1 - 22 Acacia Avenue
1 - Total Eclipse
1 - Reach Out
1 - Infinite Dreams
1 - Sign of the Cross
1 - 2 A.M.
1 - The Clansman
1 - The Wicker Man
1 - Blood Brothers
1 - Dream of Mirrors
1 - Rainmaker
1 - Dance of Death
1 - Face in the Sand
1 - The Book of Souls
1 - (New Song)

Some notes:

5 Samurai
"Days of Future Past"
"The Time Machine"
"The Parchment"
"Hell on Earth"

5 Cyborg
"Wasted Years"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Alexander the Great"

5 Classics
"Iron Maiden"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"The Trooper"
"Fear of the Dark"

This is a pretty interesting finding. Those 15 songs definitely would not surprise me as the setlist. I think my biggest doubt is that they play both The Parchment and Hell on Earth. I think only one of the Harris epics is getting in and if there is a fifth Senjutsu song it's going to be the title track (again hope I'm wrong).

I'm still not convinced about Hell on Earth, I think Parchment is way more likely and, as you said, it will function the same way The Red and the Black did back in the day. Ironically the most live ready of the four epics IMO is Death of the Celts and it seems like everybody is universally agreeing that it isn't going to get played. I wonder why. Is it because it's somewhat buried on the tracklist? I definitely think Hell On Earth is getting disproportionately picked as the album closer.

The other area where I have some skepticism is that the press release did mention that there would be other surprises. I'm sure a lot of that is corporate Maiden speak and obviously the setlist hadn't even been finalized when they posted that, but I do think it's quite possible that a slot that would be taken by another Senjutsu or SIT song would go to something like Rime or Children of the Damned or some other lower tier classic that isn't played live a lot. Almost every tour since SBIT has had at least one such song that doesn't quite fit the theme but is there anyway:

2008: Moonchild
2011: Dance of Death
2012: Afraid To Shoot Strangers
2016: Powerslave
2018: This is more of a gray area because LOTB had such a loose theme, but I would put the Blaze songs in this category given that those aren't really hits and this tour was marketed as a cabaret show.

I think only one of the Harris epics is getting in and if there is a fifth Senjutsu song it's going to be the title track (again hope I'm wrong).
The band did say that they were looking forward to playing some of the longer tracks from the album live, so while that might equal "The Time Machine" and "Darkest Hour", I would put more money of Steve's epics, given how much of the album they comprise and how much the band, especially Bruce, heralded those songs.

I'm still not convinced about Hell on Earth, I think Parchment is way more likely and, as you said, it will function the same way The Red and the Black did back in the day. Ironically the most live ready of the four epics IMO is Death of the Celts and it seems like everybody is universally agreeing that it isn't going to get played. I wonder why. Is it because it's somewhat buried on the tracklist? I definitely think Hell On Earth is getting disproportionately picked as the album closer.
I think "Death of the Celts" would be super cool live, but I don't think it would be as massive as "The Parchment" in terms of sheer sonic power, and after playing "The Clansman" for three years in a row... maybe that's a good excuse to swap in the modern day successor, or maybe it's time to look elsewhere for one of the big setlist epics. I think "The Parchment" is likely because of how it really wraps up the setlist spectacle monster epic. "Hell on Earth" has gone over massively well in Maiden internet circles though; even the band's Twitter commented on how many plays it has on YouTube. I think that'll make the band pick it up for the tour. I don't think it's as set in stone as some think, but I do think they'll try to give it a proper live treatment. Don't think of it as a track akin to "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate", but more like "When the Wild Wind Blows".

I really do think these four songs are the real wildcards of the setlist, more so than what they'll play from SiT. I could see any of them getting played, even "Lost in a Lost World". Just a matter of what works in the rehearsals and what the band wants to bring to the live show.

This is a pretty interesting finding. Those 15 songs definitely would not surprise me as the setlist. I think my biggest doubt is that they play both The Parchment and Hell on Earth. I think only one of the Harris epics is getting in and if there is a fifth Senjutsu song it's going to be the title track (again hope I'm wrong).

The other area where I have some skepticism is that the press release did mention that there would be other surprises. I'm sure a lot of that is corporate Maiden speak and obviously the setlist hadn't even been finalized when they posted that, but I do think it's quite possible that a slot that would be taken by another Senjutsu or SIT song would go to something like Rime or Children of the Damned or some other lower tier classic that isn't played live a lot. Almost every tour since SBIT has had at least one such song that doesn't quite fit the theme but is there anyway:

2008: Moonchild
2011: Dance of Death
2012: Afraid To Shoot Strangers
2016: Powerslave
2018: This is more of a gray area because LOTB had such a loose theme, but I would put the Blaze songs in this category given that those aren't really hits and this tour was marketed as a cabaret show.
Senjutsu could be played again, yes (although it's a long song too and they need space in the setlist) and Celts sounds like a very good live song (Lost World too, but it's not so popular song from the album), but I'm sure they will play 2 epics and they will most likely be the 2 most popular - Parchment and Hell On Earth (the Twitter post!). Steve probably likes Celts the most though, but they played Clansman for 3 years in a row, so dunno.

About the songs slots, I think they will play 5 new songs and ''maybe'' only 4 SIT songs, not 5. Or they will drop one of the classics for a surprise song.

And btw, Powerslave was a fitting song for TBOS tour. Agreed with the rest.
I would put more money of Steve's epics, given how much of the album they comprise and how much the band, especially Bruce, heralded those songs.

Don't think of it as a track akin to "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate", but more like "When the Wild Wind Blows".
This.
Ironically the most live ready of the four epics IMO is Death of the Celts...
I definitely think Hell On Earth is getting disproportionately picked as the album closer.
I agree about Celts - the most live ready epic from the album. Big disagree about Hell On Earth, it's a perfect album closer.

With Steve putting emphasis on " It will also be particularly satisfying to finally get to play some of the more epic tracks on Senjutsu" It certainly suggests there will be more than one epic being played. I think it's certain 2 of the Steve tracks make it.

And this also suggests it's likely They are playing 5 different songs from the album this time around "opening the show with the first 3 songs doesn’t make a lot of sense to repeat this for a Senjutsu album tour"

Tho I think Writing will make it, Senjutsu and Stratego won't

78 - Iron Maiden
77 - Wasted Years

71 - Hell on Earth
70 - Days of Future Past

69 - Alexander the Great
66 - The Trooper
66 - Fear of the Dark
63 - Heaven Can Wait
52 - The Time Machine
47 - The Parchment

41 - Sea of Madness
33 - Stratego
14 - Senjutsu
12 - Futureal
12 - Death of the Celts
9 - Run to the Hills
9 - Darkest Hour
6 - The Evil That Men Do
5 - Sanctuary
5 - Running Free
5 - Phantom of the Opera
5 - Deja-Vu
5 - Brave New World
5 - Lost in a Lost World
4 - Wrathchild
4 - The Prisoner
2 - Remember Tomorrow
2 - Killers
2 - The Clairvoyant
1 - Prowler
1 - 22 Acacia Avenue
1 - Total Eclipse
1 - Reach Out
1 - Infinite Dreams
1 - Sign of the Cross
1 - 2 A.M.
1 - The Clansman
1 - The Wicker Man
1 - Blood Brothers
1 - Dream of Mirrors
1 - Rainmaker
1 - Dance of Death
1 - Face in the Sand
1 - The Book of Souls
1 - (New Song)

Some notes:

5 Samurai
"Days of Future Past"
"The Time Machine"
"The Parchment"
"Hell on Earth"

5 Cyborg
"Wasted Years"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Alexander the Great"

5 Classics
"Iron Maiden"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"The Trooper"
"Fear of the Dark"

I've noticed, first time on this tour, people started saying (or wishing) Fear of the Dark, won't be played. Now, I don't know if they have some inside information or is it just wishful thinking, but the fact that out of 78 people 12 of them didn't include it, is really interesting.
I also expected much much more votes for "The Parchment".
Really, Diesel's setlist looks both probable and nicely done.
Also, I agree that Alex could be a second encore.

My final guess...

Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
Stranger in a Strange Land
Futureal (Walking 'Somewhere' Eddie)

The Time Machine
The Writing on the Wall
The Darkest Hour
Days of Future Past (Walking 'Senjutsu' Eddie)

Alexander the Great
The Trooper
Hell on Earth
Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Fear of the Dark
Wasted Years

Time is up, it couldn't last
But there's more things I have to do
I'm coming back to try again
Don't tell me that this is the end...

Hey folks! A big thank you for everyone in this thread for all the entries and other activity! If anyone is willing to submit an entry and has not done so already, I suggest to be quick, as the first date of the tour isn't too far away and the "contest" (of course you can guess after that as well, but you'll miss the Glory) might get closed at any minute if major setlist spoilers emerge. However, assuming those beans won't get slipped, I plan to close on the contest on the starting week of the tour, somewhere around 25th of May.

Not that it's very serious or anything, but... If anything, you can potentially be the one who can say "see, TOLD YOU SO!"
I didn't have faith for the idea of Somewhere in Time being revisited at this scale this year, so it's not too long ago when I had to admit "...okay, you were right" to a lot of you who believed in it and all the subtle "hints" that were dropped.

Those who take part in the contest: make sure that your setlist layout follows the rules (check first post). :) Cheers!

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
  2. Days Of Future Past
  3. The Writing On The Wall
  4. Heaven Can Wait
  5. The Time Machine
  6. The Trooper
  7. Stranger In A Strange Land
  8. Phantom Of The Opera
  9. The Parchment
  10. Fear Of The Dark
  11. The Number Of The Beast
  12. Iron Maiden
---
  1. Alexander the Great
  2. Hell On Earth
  3. Wasted Years

The more I tried to rearrange this the more I thought they will play stratego and do a 6th classic track instead of The Parchment. Seems a little too focused on the 2 albums. But who knows.

Back