THE FUTURE PAST TOUR - The Setlist Contest! WINNERS: blackie2380, MrKnickerbocker & Collin

I'd like to make a small change to my prediction. I can't exclude Futureal. I'll remove 2MTM!
  1. "Caught Somewhere in Time"
  2. "Wasted Years"
  3. "Heaven Can Wait"
  4. "The Writing on the Wall"
  5. "Days of Future Past"
  6. "Futureal"
  7. "The Parchment"
  8. "Hell on Earth"
  9. "Stranger in a Strange Land"
  10. "The Evil That Men Do"
  11. "Fear of the Dark"
  12. "Iron Maiden"
Encore

13. "Alexander the Great"
14. "The Number of the Beast"
15. "Hallowed Be Thy Name"

Last minute change. I think Stratego and WOTW stays. Beyond the obvious Senjutsu songs (Stratego, DOFP and WOTW) I think they'll go with the fourth and fifth most streamed songs of Senjutsu, Hell on Earth and Death of the Celts. Finally I think they'll go back to finishing the shows with Wasted Years like they did on the Book of Souls tour. It might be the best closing song they ever had (Run to the Hills at Rock in Rio might be better though) and it makes sense finishing with a SiT song on this tour! The most shocking: I'll drop The Number of the Beast!
  1. Caught Somewhere in Time
  2. Stratego
  3. The Writing on the Wall
  4. Can I Play With Madness
  5. Days of Future Past
  6. Stranger in a Strange Land
  7. Death of the Celts
  8. Heaven Can Wait
  9. Hell on Earth
  10. The Evil That Men Do
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
Encore

13. Alexander the Great
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
15. Wasted Years

Last edited:
Last minute change before the lock:

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
3. Days Of The Future Past
4. The Time Machine
5. The Trooper
6. The Parchment
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. Stranger In A Strange Land
9. Wasted Years
10. Writing On The Wall
11. Hell On Earth
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. Alexander The Great
15. The Number Of The Beast
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name

One edit:
I took away LOTLR and replaced it with Wasted Years

One last prediction a day ahead the opening night:

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
4. The Trooper
5. Death of the Celts
7. Days of Future Past
8. Heaven Can Wait
9. Can I Play With Madness
10. Hell on Earth
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore:
1. Alexander the Great
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Wasted Years

The Future Past Tour

1hr 41 min

1. - Caught Somewhere in Time
  2. - Futureal or Total Eclipse (Toss up)
  3. - Days of Future Past
  4. - The Trooper
  5. - Stranger in a Strange Land
  6. - Heaven Can Wait
  7. - The Time Machine or Senjutsu (Toss up)
  8. - Writing on the Wall
  9. - The Parchment
  10. - Alexander The Great
  11. - Fear of the Dark
  12. - Iron Maiden
Encore :
  1. - Hell on Earth
  2. - Hallowed Be Thy Name
  3. - Wasted Years

Predictions :

They will bring back the different realms into the set, like the LOTB tour. The first half of the main set will be in a realm based on the future, the second half of the main set will be a realm based on the past.

Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie will appear onstage during the song ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’.

They will drop a couple classics from the setlist to fit in all the others songs, the 2 they will drop will be ‘Run to the Hills’ and ‘The Number of the Beast’.

They will not perform ‘Stratego’ again on this tour. Hence why they released a live version on their youtube channel.

Senjutsu Eddie will appear onstage during the song “Iron Maiden’.

A Senjutsu Eddie inflatable will come from behind the stage during the song ‘Iron Maiden’.

The song ‘Futureal’ will be added to the set to go along with the future realm.

Final then

2. Can i Play With Madness
4. Death of the Celts
5. The Trooper
7. Days of Future Past
8. The Prisoner
9. Heaven Can Wait
10.Time Machine
11. Hell on Earth
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore:
14. Alexander the Great
15. The Number of the Beast
16. Wasted Years

SCORES BELOW

Lots of tied scores this time!

2018 setlist contest winner Whooten (20 points - no longer around here) hands the ETERNAL GLORY over to three new winners: @blackie2380 (who benefited from the last minute Can I Play With Madness leak though, but their prediction was fairly accurate to begin with), @MrKnickerbocker & @Collin (20 points) - congratulations to winners and well done you all! Second place get shared as well, as three members (@efekåseo_suomi , @Azas & @Rocking Rolling Man ) reached 19 points. @its_ArchroniX got close, but slipped to third place due to small inconsistency with the given rules.

Some general notes:
- This is more of a note-to-self, but anyway: next time I'll make the rules slightly more precise; e.g songs should always be numbered as it makes counting the scores a lot faster
- Most setlists were put there clearly enough, but few inconsistencies occurred thorough the competition. E.g putting alternatives (example: Futureal/Stratego); instead of giving half a point if the other alternative was correct I decided to go with zero. Harsh me!
- Aside from the most popular show opener, main set closer and show closer picks (Caught Somewhere in Time, Iron Maiden, Wasted Years) a lot of people were able to predict correct setlist spot (3. song) for The Writing on the Wall
- A lot of people - even those who got very off-track in general, were able to place Heaven Can Wait correctly (9. song)
- Many of the predictions had 16 songs (mine included); in the past that might have meant lots of incorrect guesses for the position of Fear of the Dark, but The Legacy of the Beast set assumably made placing one song between FOTD and Iron Maiden a popular option and therefore a lot of people got two points for Fear of the Dark (11th song), even if they listed 16 songs instead of the correct amount (15)
- Alexander the Great was a very popular guess for the encore opener, where as Hell on Earth was often listed as 10th or 11th song in the set; basically switching these two the other way round would have brought many of the predictions very, very close to what we eventually got!

USER​
SCORE​
NOTES
1. @blackie2380 20
1. @MrKnickerbocker 20
1. @Collin 20
2. @efekåseo_suomi 19
2. @Azas 19
2. @Rocking Rolling Man 19
3. @its_ArchroniX 18.5(0.5 point punishment for listing the Doctor Doctor as part of the set - see rules ;) )
@Kalata18
@The Dissident18
@mepatrik118
@Poto18
chris b18Guessed Hell on Earth as encore opener in October!
@Iron Lurker18
@Night Prowler18
@UpTheIrons18
@Deadeye2117
@matic2217
@FTB17
@Phantom of My Own Opera17
@Flaming Blimp Crash17Guessed Can I Play With Madness in October
@Vaenyr17
@Zvonimir17Guessed The Prisoner as the 6th song in October - pretty good!
@EDDIEVH17Guessed Hell on Earth as encore opener in October!
@Alenjandro16
@Tailgunner8816
@bornless116
@Smither16
@reimdaase16
@Trevoire16
@Maiden9516
@Ben Beast16
@Edington16Guessed The Prisoner in October - not bad.
@Patrick9216
@permanenteddie16
@Brazilian Benjamin Breeg16
@IronMaidenBRO9915
@Dissonant15
@POLISH EDDIE15
@Prowler15
@PieceofMind8915
@Randalf15
@veddertown15
@THESEVENTHMARINER15
@Diesel 1115
@Mosh15
@PieceofMind8915
@Shavasku15
@Demigod_Tyek15
@KidInTheDark66615
@PhantomOfTheOpera14
@Perun14
@Napalm190714
@NavigatorOfTheClouds14
@Lealman8314
@TheMercenary14
@Álvaro14
@Stardust14
@Cosmiceddie14Guessed The Prisoner in October - not bad.
@Lego14
@kantri13
@Black Bart13
@wojczi13
@The Mid-Distance Runner13
@InfiniteDreamer54413
@Andoni13
@lordpreto13
@TheTalisman13
@dickinson197813(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@btx10913
@riff13
@IronCarnage12
@Badrium12
@Spambot12
@The Sentient12
@NickoWho12
@LooseCannon12
@andreljbernardo12(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@The_7th_one11
@agtsp1611(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@Eddie62011
@Eli11(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@karljant11(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@Abas11(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@koponto11
@CountryChurchyard11
@jessmundur10
@AncientMariner_Essex10(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@Starblind10(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@Samantas585510(only listed the songs, not the setlist order)
@MindRuler10
@MaidenFan6668.5
@rideon778
@Jeffmetal7

A huge, heartfelt thank you for everyone who participated the contest and the discussion!

But remember,
Death or glory, it's all the same!

Last edited:
It's really interesting to me how things shook up regarding the encore. A lot of people were placing Alexander the Great there, while to me it seemed obvious that if it was to be played it would be in that 10th song slot (where the band typically puts the big centerpiece track). And yet, Maiden did end up putting an epic track in that unexpected encore slot, it just wasn't the one people were expecting.

One thing I called correctly was that they would bring out two semi-deep cuts that weren't from Senjutsu or Somewhere in Time. I just called the wrong ones. :D Major props to folks who called CIPWM and The Prisoner early!

I'm still pretty surprised at the number of setlists that don't include Caught Somewhere in Time. To me, that song is just as essential to the tour as Alexander the Great. I don't see them doing a Somewhere in Time themed tour without immediately including this one in the list.

Which brings me to my biggest setlist mistakes. In retrospect, Alexander the Great is equally necessary for this tour and I think I was unfairly skeptical of the band's ability to pull it off. Obviously, they were able to do it! My calculation was that there would be enough deepcuts from Somewhere in Time that Alexander wouldn't be necessary, but you could make a strong case that Alex is the reason for the tour. It does beg the question though of why they didn't bring some of these songs back earlier, such as on Somewhere Back in Time. I have to assume they rehearsed a lot of these songs before knowing the fans wanted them and decided they didn't work, I wonder what changed.

My Senjutsu picks were super off. I'm not sure why I went with The Parchment over Death of the Celts, as from the first time I heard the latter song I felt like it was definitely live-ready. I had pegged Hell on Earth as less likely due to the long intro and outro, although listening to all three tracks again it makes sense that The Parchment got left out. I'm glad I was correct that only WOTW carried over from the LOTB setlist. I'm also not sure why I didn't go the full five Senjutsu songs. Big facepalm there.

Anyway thanks to Randalf as always for hosting and congratulations to our forum clairvoyants!

I'll admit I don't quite understand my score, but I'm happy to have done reasonably well..?

I can clarify and open up the scoring by using your set as an example! :)

Bolded = a song was played, 1p
Bolded, italic = Guessed correct spot in the set +1p

Part fantasy wishlist, part genuine prediction:
  1. Days of Future Past 1p
  2. Wasted Years 1p
  3. 2 Minutes to Midnight
  4. The Prisoner 1p
  5. The Parchment
  6. The Trooper 1p
  7. Stranger in a Strange Land 1p
  8. The Time Machine 1p
  9. Heaven Can Wait 1+1p
  10. The Writing on the Wall 1p
  11. Fear of the Dark 1+1p
  12. Iron Maiden 1+1p

13. Alexander the Great 1p
  14. The Evil That Men Do
  15. Hell On Earth 1p

Points from the songs: 15
Bonus: +1 from the correct amount of songs (15 songs)
= 16

Back