THE FUTURE PAST TOUR - The Setlist Contest! WINNERS: blackie2380, MrKnickerbocker & Collin

I found this on net.
323829610_535259918575375_8176786741458644417_n.png

I've waited, thought things over, run through ideas in my head, and I think I can now actually dive in and post my own guess.

Samurai 5
I don't think that "Senjutsu" or "Stratego" will be played again, just because the band will want to leave space for new songs from the record. I do, however, think that the lead single "The Writing on the Wall" will make a return. Massive song live. "Lost in a Lost World" could make an appearance, but to me it's the least likely of Steve's songs. "Days of Future Past" is a shoe-in for the title alone. The last five tracks are where making a prediction gets really hard, as I could see each of them getting played. However, if I really have to decide, then I think I can be reasonably confident with "The Time Machine" and "The Parchment", given that Bruce has spoken very positively about them, and "Hell on Earth", the fanbase's new favorite song. Thus I will wager that the following is our 5 tracks from Senjutsu:
  • "The Writing on the Wall"
  • "Days of Future Past"
  • "The Time Machine"
  • "The Parchment"
  • "Hell on Earth"
Cyborg 5
This is also a bit tricky but easier than Senjutsu. "Deja-Vu" is not being played, end of story, it's a never-played live song and doesn't have the massive fan-backing that "Alexander the Great" does. "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" would be a massive surprise, but given that it was played one time before being dropped, I do not have high hopes for its return either. "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait", meanwhile, are easy picks, being the two most-played songs from the album. "Stranger in a Strange Land" is definitely appearing, given its feature in the tour promo. That leaves us with the opening, the closer, and "Sea of Madness", and one of these songs has to go. This is tough, but I think that "Sea of Madness" is the best candidate for deletion. It didn't finish out the original tour like "Caught Somewhere in Time" did, and "Alexander the Great" has been teased by Bruce so fucking much that at this point it would be insane to leave it out. Therefore I now can wager that the following will be our 5 tracks from Somewhere in Time:
  • "Caught Somewhere in Time"
  • "Wasted Years"
  • "Heaven Can Wait"
  • "Stranger in a Strange Land"
  • "Alexander the Great"
Classic 5
Now as to what fills up the rest of the setlist, I've toyed with ideas ranging from other staples of the original SiTour ("Rime of the Ancient Mariner", "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Phantom of the Opera", "Flight of Icarus", "Children of the Damned"), to rarely (if ever) played tracks mentioned by the band or due some time in the spotlight again ("Total Eclipse", "Infinite Dreams", "Only the Good Die Young", "Still Life"), but honestly I think that the band will play it safe with their other selections, putting their money on the ten already mentioned and giving the play classics crowd the following five songs that almost always appear during a Maiden show:
  • "Iron Maiden"
  • "The Number of the Beast"
  • "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
  • "The Trooper"
  • "Fear of the Dark"
Now because this first leg will only cover three months, there is some wiggle room in including a 16th song, but I will instead stick with the 15 I have named here.

Putting it all together...
Now that I have my fifteen tracks, I still have to put them in a realistic order that the band might choose themselves. This is easily the trickiest part of all. It's possible that they'll go back and utilize the 'worlds' theme from LOTB for their arrangements, but I think on a personal note that the flow will be even better if they just mix up the songs without said structure. I do think that "Alex" will be relegated to a second encore, though, just to mess with the fans even more than they already have. So with all this in mind, I now give you the following as my submission for the setlist contest:

Iron Maiden
The Future Past Tour
Diesel's Prediction

Tape: "Doctor Doctor" by UFO
Intro: "End Titles" from Blade Runner

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Days of Future Past
3. The Trooper
4. The Writing on the Wall
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. The Parchment
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. The Time Machine
9. Fear of the Dark
10. Hell on Earth
11. Iron Maiden

— Encore 1 —
12. The Number of the Beast
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name

14. Wasted Years

— Encore 2 —
15. Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.)

I now humbly await the final judgement...

Addendum
Edited to add that this doesn't mean that I'm ruling out the possibility of the band making a few changes on the next leg of the tour. I'd voice the idea of them alternating some of the Senjutsu tracks ("Death of the Celts" and "The Parchment", "The Time Machine" and "Darkest Hour"), but knowing Maiden I find this highly unlikely. More probable that they'll take this set around for this first leg and then make changes next year, but we shall ultimately see what happens as time goes on. Personally, as much as I'd like some extra deep cuts getting included, I think this is a more than satisfying set already and it would be amazing to see live. So cheers to that!

Last edited:
I've waited, thought things over, run through ideas in my head, and I think I can now actually dive in and post my own guess.

Samurai 5
I don't think that "Senjutsu" or "Stratego" will be played again, just because the band will want to leave space for new songs from the record. I do, however, think that the lead single "The Writing on the Wall" will make a return. Massive song live. "Lost in a Lost World" could make an appearance, but to me it's the least likely of Steve's songs. "Days of Future Past" is a shoe-in for the title alone. The last five tracks are where making a prediction gets really hard, as I could see each of them getting played. However, if I really have to decide, then I think I can be reasonably confident with "The Time Machine" and "The Parchment", given that Bruce has spoken very positively about them, and "Hell on Earth", the fanbase's new favorite song. Thus I will wager that the following is our 5 tracks from Senjutsu:
  • "The Writing on the Wall"
  • "Days of Future Past"
  • "The Time Machine"
  • "The Parchment"
  • "Hell on Earth"
Cyborg 5
This is also a bit tricky but easier than Senjutsu. "Deja-Vu" is not being played, end of story, it's a never-played live song and doesn't have the massive fan-backing that "Alexander the Great" does. "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" would be a massive surprise, but given that it was played one time before being dropped, I do not have high hopes for its return either. "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait", meanwhile, are easy picks, being the two most-played songs from the album. "Stranger in a Strange Land" is definitely appearing, given its feature in the tour promo. That leaves us with the opening, the closer, and "Sea of Madness", and one of these songs has to go. This is tough, but I think that "Sea of Madness" is the best candidate for deletion. It didn't finish out the original tour like "Caught Somewhere in Time" did, and "Alexander the Great" has been teased by Bruce so fucking much that at this point it would be insane to leave it out. Therefore I now can wager that the following will be our 5 tracks from Somewhere in Time:
  • "Caught Somewhere in Time"
  • "Wasted Years"
  • "Heaven Can Wait"
  • "Stranger in a Strange Land"
  • "Alexander the Great"
Classic 5
Now as to what fills up the rest of the setlist, I've toyed with ideas ranging from other staples of the original SiTour ("Rime of the Ancient Mariner", "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Phantom of the Opera", "Flight of Icarus", "Children of the Damned"), to rarely (if ever) played tracks mentioned by the band or due some time in the spotlight again ("Total Eclipse", "Infinite Dreams", "Only the Good Die Young", "Still Life"), but honestly I think that the band will play it safe with their other selections, putting their money on the ten already mentioned and giving the play classics crowd the following five songs that almost always appear during a Maiden show:
  • "Iron Maiden"
  • "The Number of the Beast"
  • "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
  • "The Trooper"
  • "Fear of the Dark"
Now because this first leg will only cover three months, there is some wiggle room in including a 16th song, but I will instead stick with the 15 I have named here.

Putting it all together...
Now that I have my fifteen tracks, I still have to put them in a realistic order that the band might choose themselves. This is easily the trickiest part of all. It's possible that they'll go back and utilize the 'worlds' theme from LOTB for their arrangements, but I think on a personal note that the flow will be even better if they just mix up the songs without said structure. I do think that "Alex" will be relegated to a second encore, though, just to mess with the fans even more than they already have. So with all this in mind, I now give you the following as my submission for the setlist contest:

Iron Maiden
The Future Past Tour
Diesel's Prediction

Tape: "Doctor Doctor" by UFO
Intro: "End Titles" from Blade Runner

2. Days of Future Past
3. The Trooper
4. The Writing on the Wall
6. The Parchment
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. The Time Machine
9. Fear of the Dark
10. Hell on Earth
11. Iron Maiden

— Encore 1 —
12. The Number of the Beast
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name

14. Wasted Years

— Encore 2 —
15. Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.)

I now humbly await the final judgement...

Addendum
Edited to add that this doesn't mean that I'm ruling out the possibility of the band making a few changes on the next leg of the tour. I'd voice the idea of them alternating some of the Senjutsu tracks ("Death of the Celts" and "The Parchment", "The Time Machine" and "Darkest Hour"), but knowing Maiden I find this highly unlikely. More probable that they'll take this set around for this first leg and then make changes next year, but we shall ultimately see what happens as time goes on. Personally, as much as I'd like some extra deep cuts getting included, I think this is a more than satisfying set already and it would be amazing to see live. So cheers to that!
Sounds all quite plausible with the exception that they probably won't play ATG at the very end but some time earlier unless they wanna kill Bruce.

"Aces High" is harder to sing than "Alexander the Great" and it got played last last year. Plus "Alex" is pure fanservice anyway, so even if they were to wing it it would still go over amazingly.

I doubt Pankrement will ever be played live
Would love to know your reasoning. To me it's the obvious choice, like a mixture of "The Red and the Black", "The Book of Souls", "To Tame a Land", and "Powerslave" rolled up into a package that rivals "Kashmir" in terms of ultimate middle-eastern rock epic. The finale would be an incredible moment for Steve and Janick to start jumping and running around on stage.

Thank you for all of the entries so far! :)

Here's an "Additional fun" kind of thing. When the tour is over (for this year), we can obviously give awards to the actually featured songs, but as of now, it's just a bit of an optional addition to our tour & setlist fan fictions and other healthy, shared activities here! <3

The first one is rather clear already, though.

2023 TOUR AWARDS (PREDICTION)

"SOCIAL MEDIA MADNESS!"- A LONG-AWAITED RETURN
AKA FLIGHT OF ICARUS 2018 TROPHY
"People will go: WOW THEY NEVER PLAY THAT ONE!"
"There will be social media madness after the first show!"

Criteria:
This award is given to a classic song that had a very high possibility to make long-awaited return to the setlist, but it's nonetheless most pleasant and exciting inclusion and one of the biggest individual reasons for buying a ticket. Might even be strongly hinted in the marketing (posters, tour ads etc.) yet still kind of treated as a "SURPRISE" for the tour due to it's long absence from the setlists, but most fans know to expect it for this particular tour anyway.
I think we all can agree that the most likely candidate for this is Stranger in a Strange Land!
Other contenders include songs like Sea of Madness, Killers and maaaaybe Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but all of them are more or less unlikely.

PEDESTRIAN OF THE YEAR AKA ACES HIGH & RUN TO THE HILLS 2022 TROPHY
Criteria:
A classic song that is placed into unfavourable setlist position or the band just can't quite match the pace and intensity of the song, thus giving it a "pedestrian vibe" that doesn't do favours to the song; therefore it's not only about "just playing it slow" as some songs work just fine even with a slower pace.

Potential candidates: Caught Somewhere in Time, any high-tempo classic in the encore...

"Now THAT'S a surprise!" AKA AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS 2012 TROPHY
Criteria:
A song that basically no-one, or only a few, saw coming, therefore hardly appeared in the preceding setlist speculation at all. Might be just a fitting, but rather unexpected setlist inclusion or a surprising replacement for a song that was planned to be played, but didn't go down too well in the tour rehearsals.

The above is also added to the opening post of this thread.

Last edited:
My "five" cents regarding the songs they might gonna play:

Caught Somewhere in Time
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait
Stranger in a Strange Land
Alexander the Great

The Writing on the Wall
Darkest Hour
Death of the Celts
The Parchment
Hell on Earth

Iron Maiden
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
Fear of the Dark

A very reasonable list but I can't imagine with the name of the tour being Future Past they don't play Days of Future Past...

A very reasonable list but I can't imagine with the name of the tour being Future Past they don't play Days of Future Past...
Yes, I was actually thinking the same. But regarding the clicks of the Senjutsu album songs on YouTube they might goona skip it...

• Intro – Blade Runner
  2. Stratego
  3. The Writing on the Wall
  4. The Trooper
  5. Death of the Celts
  6. Heaven Can Wait
  7. Days of Future Past
  8. Stranger in a Strange Land
  9. Fear of the Dark
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Iron Maiden
  12. Hell on Earth
ENCORE:
  1. Alexander the Great
  2. Blood Brothers
  3. Wasted Years

*not I’m only sure in the setlist, but also almost sure in this particular order*

*Run to the Hills and Number of the Beast dropped for sure*

*in Leg 2 Death of the Celts might be replaced with The Parchment, and Blood Brothers with 2 Minutes to Midnight*

*Senjutsu definitely dropped for other longer songs the tour is based on (CSIT, DOTC, HOE etc.)*

* PLUS:
- I’m expecting two stage changes, two Eddies on Days of Future Past or Iron Maiden
- Futureal definitely not making the cut, as lots of you mentioned it in your setlist predictions
- Hell on Earth might be shortened by first 2 minutes in the beginning, and on the end fading with Bruce saying goodbye
- Blood Brothers and Wasted Years may swap places in the final setlist

Last edited:
But regarding the clicks of the Senjutsu album songs on YouTube they might goona skip it...
I thought the song was popular among the fans? Anyway, the tour is named after it, so it's certain. Also 3 epics from the album live, I don't think so.
*Run to the Hills and Number of the Beast dropped for sure*

*Senjutsu definitely dropped for other longer songs the tour is based on (CSIT, DOTC, HOE etc.)*

* PLUS:
- I’m expecting two stage changes, two Eddies on Days of Future Past or Iron Maiden
- Futureal definitely not making the cut, as lots of you mentioned it in your setlist predictions
- Hell on Earth might be shortened by first 2 minutes in the beginning, and on the end fading with Bruce saying goodbye
- Blood Brothers and Wasted Years may swap places in the final setlist
About Hills, Beast and Senjutsu - I agree.
Two stage changes - I doubt it.
The 2 walk-on Eddies will appear for two different songs and the big Eddie for ''Iron Maiden'', ofc.
I'd say the hint about ''Futureal'' (most likely) in the tour poster is really strong.
There's no way ''Hell On Earth'' will be shortened.
The same encore closers like for TBOS tour - I doubt it.

Thank you for all of the entries so far! :)

Here's an "Additional fun" kind of thing. When the tour is over (for this year), we can obviously give awards to the actually featured songs, but as of now, it's just a bit of an optional addition to our tour & setlist fan fictions and other healthy, shared activities here! <3

The first one is rather clear already, though.

2023 TOUR AWARDS (PREDICTION)

"SOCIAL MEDIA MADNESS!"- A LONG-AWAITED RETURN
AKA FLIGHT OF ICARUS 2018 TROPHY
"People will go: WOW THEY NEVER PLAY THAT ONE!"
"There will be social media madness after the first show!"

Criteria:
This award is given to a classic song that had a very high possibility to make long-awaited return to the setlist, but it's nonetheless most pleasant and exciting inclusion and one of the biggest individual reasons for buying a ticket. Might even be strongly hinted in the marketing (posters, tour ads etc.) yet still kind of treated as a "SURPRISE" for the tour due to it's long absence from the setlists, but most fans know to expect it for this particular tour anyway.
I think we all can agree that the most likely candidate for this is Stranger in a Strange Land!
Other contenders include songs like Sea of Madness, Killers and maaaaybe Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but all of them are more or less unlikely.

PEDESTRIAN OF THE YEAR AKA ACES HIGH & RUN TO THE HILLS 2022 TROPHY
Criteria:
A classic song that is placed into unfavourable setlist position or the band just can't quite match the pace and intensity of the song, thus giving it a "pedestrian vibe" that doesn't do favours to the song; therefore it's not only about "just playing it slow" as some songs work just fine even with a slower pace.

Potential candidates: Caught Somewhere in Time, any high-tempo classic in the encore...

"Now THAT'S a surprise!" AKA AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS 2012 TROPHY
Criteria:
A song that basically no-one, or only a few, saw coming, therefore hardly appeared in the preceding setlist speculation at all. Might be just a fitting, but rather unexpected setlist inclusion or a surprising replacement for a song that was planned to be played, but didn't go down too well in the tour rehearsals.

The above is also added to the opening post of this thread.
I'll join the fun!

Social Media Madness! - A Long-Awaited Return: ''Alexander The Great'' & ''Stranger In A Strange Land''. Next in line are ''Sea Of Madness'' and ''Caught Somewhere In Time''. About Rime, I doubt it, for this tour.

Now That's A Surprise!: there are a few candidates here like ''Futureal'', ''Total Eclipse'', ''Killers''... I also wish I could say ''Infinite Dreams'' or ''Out Of The Silent Planet'', but I'll go with ''Futureal''.

About ''Caught Somewhere In Time'', the tempo might be good if it is the 1st song in the setlist. The other potential fast songs in the setlist are ''Heaven Can Wait'', ''Sea Of Madness''(?), ''The Number Of The Beast'', ''Trooper'', "Fear Of The Dark'' and why not ''Futureal'' and ''The Clairvoyant''.

The webstore have been updated with some new t-shirts, and I thought who knows they might be hinting at something? So I thought I'd see how it'd fit in a setlist.

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Stratego/ Days of Future Past
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. Can I Play With Madness
6. The Time Machine
7. The Parchment
8. Deja Vu
9. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
10. Hell on Earth
11. The Wicker Man
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. Alexander the Great
15. The Clairvoyant
16. Wasted Years

Fun to speculate.

The webstore have been updated with some new t-shirts, and I thought who knows they might be hinting at something? So I thought I'd see how it'd fit in a setlist.
The last time I remember prominent speculation based on t-shirts, it was coming off of the Maiden England tour and folks were expecting a 90s nostalgia tour (we got Maiden England leg 3 instead). :D

Some of these make sense though. Stranger in a Strange Land is obviously in. Can I Play With Madness and Clairvoyant both seem like obvious choices, I Can definitely see one or the other or both making it in. Ben Breeg seems like a random choice though and kind of a waste when I would rather them focus on the new album with that time.

Back