The Future Past Tour 2024

I would take whatever he's said on the subject with a grain of salt, since mysteriously he seemed to have learned to actually sing rather than just shouting in key sometime during the 90s, judging by how different his approach was in the early 90s and on, and how he suddenly permanently regained a lot of his range in that era after spending the latter half of the 80s mostly croaking his way through his higher register.
That's true. I'd say the period between Balls To Picasso and Skunkworks is the key. The Somewhere In Time to No Prayer For The Dying era was particulary painful.

Could even be a talk with a professional singer about breathing. Or simply, he rested his voice for the first time in years.

Talking about that subject, was Balls To Picasso the turning point? As that album kinda features both kinds of singing from Bruce. For example Laughing In The Hiding Bush, 1000 Points Of Light and Shoot All The Clowns are kinda more FOTD shouty Bruce, while Tears Of The Dragon and things like Cyclops, Gods Of War are more "modern" Bruce.

Is it possible that he simply changed his singing style in the search of more comercial success and it went from there? If there was no vocal teacher, I'd say so.

Last edited:
He was a lot better even on the No Prayer tour than he was on Seventh Tour. Like, not a year's rest better (especially given he had a whole solo record and tour in-between), he was "learned how to use his vocal cords" better simply judging by his performances in songs like Hallowed. It's night and day. That's why I've always assumed he had some serious professional help sometime in that period, presumably because he didn't want to permanently blow his voice out.

I would take whatever he's said on the subject with a grain of salt, since mysteriously he seemed to have learned to actually sing rather than just shouting in key sometime during the 90s, judging by how different his approach was in the early 90s and on, and how he suddenly permanently regained a lot of his range in that era after spending the latter half of the 80s mostly croaking his way through his higher register.

Maybe one day, he’ll be an honest man…

His transition from shouter to fantastically consistent singer during the 90s makes me want to read whichever books about singing he might have been reading back then.

To be honest, I was only speculating that he had vocal lessons due to the massive improvement in his voice in the 1990s.

I wish more rock musicians would take lessons in their chosen craft. As someone who works in music education, nothing makes me roll my eyes more than when people brag about being ‘self taught’ and refuse to have lessons. Just get over yourself and accept someone can help you!

To be honest, I was only speculating that he had vocal lessons due to the massive improvement in his voice in the 1990s.

I wish more rock musicians would take lessons in their chosen craft. As someone who works in music education, nothing makes me roll my eyes more than when people brag about being ‘self taught’ and refuse to have lessons. Just get over yourself and accept someone can help you!
Same as musicians (often seen with guitarists) who refuse to engage with music theory because it would "stifle the creativity".

This discussion about Bruce's singing is very interesting and, in my opinion, deserves more attention. Anybody mind if I split these posts into a separate thread?

Back