The Future Past Tour 2024

Wasted Years really sounds good. Possibly the best performance this year.
Wasted Years was starting to sound good. I like the overall performances now (Nicko's groove aside) and I think the band should release live videos from the 2024 leg of the tour (some of the earlier performances were quite good, Nicko can't be at his best solid every night), a collection of live songs again. But they should be careful with the choices for: Wasted Years, Trooper, Fear (now is great), Heaven and I guess Time Machine.

I expect releases from SA. Let's hope they will be at the same level during the last shows of the tour.
How many shows has it taken them to get to that level performance-wise??
This is normal due to Nicko's precision and completely lack of fast snare rolls. But he is getting better with the fills. Some nights will be better.
Didn't watch the whole thing, skipped a bit around and from what I've seen he doesn't miss them, no. Some of the live videos from the current shows sound like he's missing them, but I think that's due to the audio quality of the videos and the mixing, not him actually missing them.
It's the right hand precision during the fast movements. He's getting better at it, but as I said before, what Nicko did is the equivalent of relearning to ride a bike, considering that he couldn't move his right arm at all. Could also be the lack of power during his hand arm hits.
This.
It's interesting how here Adrian plays his Time Machine solo ''less proggy'' and it still works.

Janick in action during Time Machine (close-up). The rhythm under Adrian's solo is so proggy and I like the rendition of his solo.

The song is Janick's magic. Effective and fun live song.

That’s a really cool video. Janick is great live.

I’m still not a huge fan of the song. Everyone talks about Death of the Celts zapping the energy from the set. In my opinion, it happened with Days of Future Past and Time Machine last year at the O2.

Not sure if someone posted this before, but I was trying to figure out how many solos each of the three amigos got on this tour:

Smith
  1. Caught Somewhere in Time (2nd solo)
  2. Stranger in a Strange Land
  3. The Writing on the Wall (2nd solo)
  4. Days of Future Past
  5. The Time Machine (1st solo)
  6. The Prison (1st solo)
  7. The Death of the Celts (1st solo)
  8. The Death of the Celts (4th solo)
  9. Can I Play With Madness?
  10. Heaven Can Wait (2nd solo)
  11. Alexander the Great (1st solo - I'm counting it all as one despite the breaks)
  12. Hell on Earth (2nd solo)
  13. The Trooper (1st solo)
  14. Wasted Years
Murray
  1. Caught Somewhere in Time (1st solo)
  2. The Writing on the Wall (1st solo)
  3. The Time Machine (2nd solo)
  4. The Prison (2nd solo)
  5. The Death of the Celts (3rd solo)
  6. Heaven Can Wait (1st solo)
  7. Alexander the Great (2nd solo)
  8. Fear of the Dark (2nd solo)
  9. Hell on Earth (1st solo)
  10. The Trooper (2nd solo)
Gers
  1. The Writing on the Wall (3rd solo)
  2. The Time Machine (3rd solo)
  3. The Death of the Celts (2nd solo)
  4. Fear of the Dark (1st solo)
  5. Hell on Earth (3rd solo)
Did I mis-count something? Did Smith really play almost as many guitar solos as Murray and Gers combined?

Last edited:
I’m still not a huge fan of the song. Everyone talks about Death of the Celts zapping the energy from the set. In my opinion, it happened with Days of Future Past and Time Machine last year at the O2.

It's not my favourite either, although I think it works just fine live. You're probably right when it comes to general vibe and energy in the crowd, but personally, I rocked out for Days of Future Past. I loved its energy right after more groovy tunes that Stranger & Writing were!

I get that people in general weren't quite as sold to it, but I absolutely love it, haha! :clap:

Time Machine's verses and chorus are specific for live performances, but the instrumental section is popular with fans. Celts is lively too, but due to its length is the least exciting song for most fans. Days Of Future Past is short, faster and sharp, just what the 80's fans want.
Did Smith really play almost as many guitar solos as Murray and Gers combined?
For the current set, this is normal given Adrian's input. But we have to say that Janick plays almost all of the lead melodies live, I think on all new songs, not sure only about Alexander.

I love how much fun he has live. A truly great performer.

All of this begs the question with the new tour next year, how many solos live will Janick have from the dominant 80's material? The longer instrumental section aren't that many and I guess they'll be played by the three of them. This is one of the reasons why I think there will be at least 3 90's songs in the set. What else for Janick from the 80's? Adrian's solo from a deep cut?

Phantom
Hallowed
Trooper (with Adrian)
Moonchild
Evil That Men Do (with Adrian)

...not much.

He can play the lead melodies on To Tame A Land.

All of this begs the question with the new tour next year, how many solos live will Janick have from the dominant 80's material?
Don’t worry about it, just tell him he can play whichever solos he wants on the X Factor through Senjutsu tour they’ll do the next time around (and see if he buys it!).

Don’t worry about it, just tell him he can play whichever solos he wants on the X Factor through Senjutsu tour they’ll do the next time around (and see if he buys it!).
1729183748429.gif

Janick hate is so boring and played out. He’s a great guitarist and adds a lot to Maiden’s live performances (imo). And he’s one of the most valuable songwriters too.

Janick haters should be very thankful that the next tour will be focused mostly on the golden 80s. I personally hope there is a fair bit of 90s representation as well.

The Future Past Tour has been great, and I really look forward to the live album from this tour (if there even will be one??). I also look forward to the next tour, and maybe I’ll try to be on Janick’s side of the stage for a change :cool:

I was at the Portland show and the Tacoma show. For one thing, the Tacoma Dome is very weird, it's very small and kinda feels more like a county fair/rodeo venue than a concert hall. It was a much smaller crowd, floor half full (if that) and my ticket was very cheap, $25. With that said, the band was much more on in Tacoma than Portland and I think the Washington audience was treated to one of their better nights on tour. No major slips from Nicko and Bruce sounding about as good as you could expect. I enjoyed both nights!

Obviously we're not entirely sure about the band's future plans. But which songs will the band never play again after this tour's over?

There are four songs that will almost certainly never been played again - Caught Somewhere in Time, Days of Future Past, The Time Machine and Death of the Celts.

I'd put seven in the maybe category - Stranger in a Strange Land, The Writing on the Wall (only if they tour beyond 2025-26), The Prisoner, Can I Play With Madness, Heaven Can Wait, Alexander the Great, Hell on Earth (this one, simply due to the length, seems less likely than the other six, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely if they tour in 2027 and beyond, given how popular it's been)

Four will definitely be played again - Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, The Trooper, and Wasted Years

Given the trajectory of the band members' ages, health conditions, and what we know of their future plans, I would say the chance of them playing anything from X Factor or later ever again is near 0. I think all Somewhere in Time songs outside of Wasted Years are out. CIPWM and Prisoner are probably out just because they will make room for other songs from those albums that haven't been played in awhile.

This will be a special tour in terms of once in a lifetime opportunities to hear certain songs, but there are probably at least a third of the songs on each tour going back to TFF that are in that category.

Back