The Future Past Tour 2024

I thought it would be nice to share the band members comments from the tour book:
Even based on these comments alone, they will try to play live as long as possible.
Yes, and nod to the previous comment as well from btx109, I´ve said for a while: they will take Maiden to the 2030s be it with or without Neeko. Especially with the 50th anniversary tour announcement in September but even before that I was 80-85% certain. I just can´t see a problem touring for like 6-8 weeks a year and being in your 70s is not that old anymore. Although it is possible they will not stray off the beaten track (Europe) after 2026.

Last edited:
I think that's a good point. I was also thinking about how unusual (impossible) it would be to announce a 2025/26 tour with the firm intention that a possible replacement for Nicko would be ruled out.
I would also say that the goal and what they would want is to continue touring also after the already announced tour.

The show was mixed VERY well. Each guitarist was featured prominently during their solos, which was nice.
They abandoned analog equipment for this tour (or since the previous one, I don't remember). Now everything is digital, you just have to press a button on the soundboard and the sound of a specific instrument goes to a previously configured volume. The variations in equalization that will occur during the show are also previously configured. That's why everything seems to be well mixed.

I just don't like the muffled drum sound on this tour. But that might be a false impression since I'm only basing it on recordings from phones.

I just don't like the muffled drum sound on this tour. But that might be a false impression since I'm only basing it on recordings from phones.
Nicko isn't playing as hard as he used to pre stroke so if I were to speculate, there's probably an element of compression involved to boost his hits. This might be the reason for the muffled sound.

They might also be deliberately keeping his playing low in the mix to help mask some of the issues in his performance.

and based upon that performance, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
Agreed. 2 or 3 more tours are possible, with less dates. They want it. Fingers crossed. They have some options...

New album tour
Part 2 of the current tour (plus/or not new album hybrid)
(both ideas for 3 or 4 years plus another tour)

What else?

...but the current tour feels like the ultimate Hits/History idea.
My one complaint: I will die on the hill that "The Parchment" should have been in the set over "Death Of The Celts."
We can't compare ofc, Celts is probably the better live song because it's more lively for an epic, but Parchment has singalong melodies and the fast part is a perfect build-up for concerts. Agreed about the latter though. A special song. I'm a fan of Celts, it works live nicely, but they should have swapped them between the legs and it would have been perfect. Why? Nicko said they made the right choice, but I want to know why Parchment was omitted. The votes within the band were even, iirc. They only time they changed longer songs between legs or shows was in 2010, right?

Like you guys, I snuck in some views from YouTube clips from across the tour to get an idea of how the band sounded prior to my show. YouTube compresses the shite out of music but that said, the Forum show was SO much more dynamic than anything I've heard online. And I'm not trying to say "MY show" was better than others. I'm a guitar player and attend a lot of live shows across all genres. I wondered if Nicko's kit was enhanced in any way because of how strong he sounded. Yes, some of his more eclectic trademark rolls and fills were simplified but the tempo and consistency were there. I'm going to give him grace and credit for coming back as well as he has because it is a demanding set.

My opinion only but I don't think Maiden will continue with a new drummer. Those guys have been together for so long at this point...I even saw Steve mess with Bruce during a bit and smile, which I've never seen before. The other way around, yes. They could survive the loss of a guitarist but I think Maiden calls it a day when Bruce or Nicko can no longer go. I hope I'm wrong but that's just my gut.

Nicko isn't playing as hard as he used to pre stroke so if I were to speculate, there's probably an element of compression involved to boost his hits. This might be the reason for the muffled sound.

They might also be deliberately keeping his playing low in the mix to help mask some of the issues in his performance.
I think its the kit...

The snare sound here is a bit better imo

My one complaint: I will die on the hill that "The Parchment" should have been in the set over "Death Of The Celts."
Parchment over Death of the Celts would be an improvement, but not a massive one for most of the audience, I think. Hardcore fans, yes, but for the casuals or the "play the hits" crowd, it would probably be an equal lull. I like Parchment, but kind of find it a bit overrated. I get it, it's a slow burn buildup to the big crescendo what--nine/ten minutes in? And who knows? Maybe it might've worked big time.

Celts was the one song I was hoping might get switched out for something else between legs, but I imagine Steve (and maybe Steve alone) has a boner for it, so it's staying put. Legacy had FTGGOG as its low point as far as crowd enthusiasm was concerned, and I guess Celts is that for Future Past (except FTGGOG is a far better song).:confused:

Last edited:
Parchment over Death of the Celts would be an improvement, but not a massive one for most of the audience, I think. Hardcore fans, yes, but for the casuals or the "play the hits" crowd, it would probably be an equal lull. I get it, it's a slow burn buildup to the big crescendo what--nine/ten minutes in? And who knows?
I think you are right, like for all Reunion epics methinks. I think they would have used a temple/sand backdrop and that would have clashed with the Hell On Earth backdrop. That's why I also think they didn't use the new (cool) tour poster with Cyborg Eddie as a backdrop for the current leg - they want the imagery of the aforementioned song to be unique live. It's a highlight (Celts backdrop too).

• CSIT, Celts, Alexander, Hell On Earth and Fear backdrops are all timers for me. Love the whole setting and songs around the tour.
Celts was the one song I was hoping might get switched out for something else between legs, but I imagine Steve (and maybe Steve alone) has a boner for it, so it's staying put. Legacy had FTGGOG as its low point as far as crowd enthusiasm was concerned, and I guess Celts is that for Future Past (except FTGGOG is a far better song).
Greater Good is a better live song because it's faster and has an anthemic chorus. Steve had added it, but there were votes between Celts and Parchment.

Parchment over Death of the Celts would be an improvement, but not a massive one for most of the audience, I think. Hardcore fans, yes, but for the casuals or the "play the hits" crowd, it would probably be an equal lull. I like Parchment, but kind of find it a bit overrated. I get it, it's a slow burn buildup to the big crescendo what--nine/ten minutes in? And who knows? Maybe it might've worked big time.

Celts was the one song I was hoping might get switched out for something else between legs, but I imagine Steve (and maybe Steve alone) has a boner for it, so it's staying put. Legacy had FTGGOG as its low point as far as crowd enthusiasm was concerned, and I guess Celts is that for Future Past (except FTGGOG is a far better song).:confused:
I think there is a thematic clash between Alexander and the Parchment. I just feel that both have similar vibes (about similar parts of the world). Death of the Celts is just totally different to Alexander. I would have preferred The Parchment but Celts was fun.

But Death of the Celts has a badass backdrop. Can you imagine if they played The Parchment and just had a parchment as a backdrop? So boring.
Reminds me of my first Maiden gig on the VXI tour. They were at the Glasgow Barrowlands, a club sized venue with a very low ceiling. Far too low to accommodate Maiden's backdrops or stage set.

So at one point, prior to The Clansman, Blaze addressed the Scottish crowd, saying that there was supposed to be a big backdrop of 'Braveheart' Eddie but they couldn't fit it on the stage.

He then proceeded to lift up an A4 sheet of paper with the backdrop printed on it and said "this is what it looks like" and apologised before starting the song.

I'm convinced this was the moment when Steve decided that things weren't working out as they were.

Reminds me of my first Maiden gig on the VXI tour. They were at the Glasgow Barrowlands, a club sized venue with a very low ceiling. Far too low to accommodate Maiden's backdrops or stage set.

So at one point, prior to The Clansman, Blaze addressed the Scottish crowd, saying that there was supposed to be a big backdrop of 'Braveheart' Eddie but they couldn't fit it on the stage.

He then proceeded to lift up an A4 sheet of paper with the backdrop printed on it and said "this is what it looks like" and apologised before starting the song.

I'm convinced this was the moment when Steve decided that things weren't working out as they were.
Was the A4 printout even needed?

It's a good bit of humor that shows they were still capable of laughing at themselves and the situation they're in, so I'd say yeah. A lesser band would've been making passive aggressive comments about the venue or refused to play altogether in that sort of situation.
I’ve just got this image of Blaze sitting next to a printer in 1998 waiting for it to come out.

Back