The Future Past Tour 2024

I think those latest videos highlight something that we all knew would happen with Bruce this year. It might be sickness or it might be the effects of him being on tour non-stop since April. He pushes his voice too hard. The schedule this year was always going to be ridiculous and I think they were kidding themselves to think that Bruce could handle it.

Sure Nicko is not on top form but he had a stroke. Bruce can be on top form post-cancer but it tends to be when they are doing shorter tours in Europe. I think he has been ill or struggling with his voice every time they have gone out of Europe post-2016.

Rant over.

I think those latest videos highlight something that we all knew would happen with Bruce this year. It might be sickness or it might be the effects of him being on tour non-stop since April. He pushes his voice too hard. The schedule this year was always going to be ridiculous and I think they were kidding themselves to think that Bruce could handle it.

Sure Nicko is not on top form but he had a stroke. Bruce can be on top form post-cancer but it tends to be when they are doing shorter tours in Europe. I think he has been ill or struggling with his voice every time they have gone out of Europe post-2016.

Rant over.
I think constant flights and changing timezones don't help his immune system.

We knew that the schedule would be tough for Bruce, but I think 2024 is one of his best years live. It's amazing with the amount of shows. Yeah, he struggles here and there (especially the last 2 songs), but overall it's impressive. The many shows (since April!) play a role ofc, but I think he's sick again. He knows how to handle it and he is doing great. Shorter tours or not, the songs will always be challenging, especially now.

I just hope they pick the right show/s for the live album this time.

You hit the nail on the head.

Bruce has said many times that he sees the voice as something akin to the engine of a car: you can do a certain number of miles with it until it starts to fail. My fear is that he has overused it (his voice, not his car) this year. Even by the end of his solo tour he was struggling (that was one of the things that surprised my brother the most after he saw him in Mannheim).

I hope he will get better and the hundreds of thousands who have tickets to see the band before the end of the tour are not rewarded with subpar performances.

Really?????
Yep. 2023 too. He certainly overused his voice, like Rob for example, and ofc some songs will vary some nights, but I genuinely think so. You mentioned the end of his solo tour, which is normal to sound tired. After all these years, considering age and all.

Much respect to Bruce and his capabilities, but to me his 2024 performances are arguably some of the worst in his entire career. He has good nights with good moments, but most of the time he just sounds exhausted and tired, straining to hit any high note.

Much respect to Bruce and his capabilities, but to me his 2024 performances are arguably some of the worst in his entire career. He has good nights with good moments, but most of the time he just sounds exhausted and tired, straining to hit any high note.

I realise mine is a shallow take, but I fail to discern the nuances - to me, Bruce has been sounding strained at least since he fucked up most of TFF (I mean, that's an album with potentially some of my favourite tunes and possibly my least favourite Bruce performance overall - have you ever groomed a mare and inadvertently brushed her tits? Yeah, that's the sound that comes to mind) and he's been on and off since, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but always kinda not really there. All due respect.

I realise mine is a shallow take, but I fail to discern the nuances - to me, Bruce has been sounding strained at least since he fucked up most of TFF (I mean, that's an album with potentially some of my favourite tunes and possibly my least favourite Bruce performance overall - have you ever groomed a mare and inadvertently brushed her tits? Yeah, that's the sound that comes to mind) and he's been on and off since, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but always kinda not really there. All due respect.
He was straining during TFF too, but that was before his cancer treatment and before his timbre changed. He has a darker timbre and a somewhat lower voice now, which has him strain even more to reach notes he could reach before.

Listen to the verses of Wasted Years or Fear Of The Dark. While he nails a note here and there, most of the lines sound as if he's out of breath or hoarse. I love Maiden and Bruce, but this simply doesn't sound pleasant to me anymore. To the point where I wouldn't show videos from the current tour to people who aren't Maiden fans already, because they don't have the context to excuse some of his modern shortcomings.

It's obviously all subjective. I'm not gonna tell anyone who enjoys Bruce's voice that they're wrong. I'm simply not hearing what they are hearing.

He was straining during TFF too, but that was before his cancer treatment and before his timbre changed. He has a darker timbre and a somewhat lower voice now, which has him strain even more to reach notes he could reach before.

Listen to the verses of Wasted Years or Fear Of The Dark. While he nails a note here and there, most of the lines sound as if he's out of breath or hoarse. I love Maiden and Bruce, but this simply doesn't sound pleasant to me anymore. To the point where I wouldn't show videos from the current tour to people who aren't Maiden fans already, because they don't have the context to excuse some of his modern shortcomings.

It's obviously all subjective. I'm not gonna tell anyone who enjoys Bruce's voice that they're wrong. I'm simply not hearing what they are hearing.

I more or less agree, my point was that since TXF I don't remember any particular time when it would be substantially better (or at least recognisably so); I saw them live in 2013 and 2014 and my reaction was "fine, I guess" (also you notice less when you're attending the concert in question and in the mood, so to speak).

However, I admit, seeing some of these last videos, he's probably hit the LaBrie threshold for me, recently.

Back