The Future Past Tour 2024

Bruce peak was somewhere around Rock in Rio / Dance of Death. Now? He doesn't sound bad and has some brilliant moments + his charisma is working on 120% sometimes but 2001 Bruce (or 2010) would blow Bruce 2024 out of the water every day of the week.

However then again - decade ago we had BoS tour (almost). And I must say that he does sound better now but is this real surprise? Then he was weeks after chemo therapy.
Pretty much it. I would say a 10 years peak maybe (1997-2007)? Or even more years ahead because IMO he sounded good also in sbit tour.

Pretty much it. I would say a 10 years peak maybe (1997-2007)? Or even more years ahead because IMO he sounded good also in sbit tour.
Yup. For me, his golden years started with Skunkworks and lasted up to the Somewhere Back In Time tour. He still sounded pretty great afterwards and considering his age and health problems he definitely sounds relatively good nowadays. He simply doesn't sound like a young god anymore, which is an unrealistic and unfair standard to hold someone to, anyway.

I don't particularly care if he's not sounding as good as, for example, in 2018 or 2008. I agree that his voice tends to get a bit tired and more strained towards the end of the show, but he's singing most of it very, very well and he can absolutely do justice to the material they're playing and, in some cases, give notably good performances. E.g Stranger in a Strange Land works so well for him now and I don't think 2023-24 Caught Somewhere in Time pales in comparison to the 1986-87 live performances... not that I was there to witness it being played back in the day, but... The Prisoner sounds just fine too and even towards the end of the show, he's very capable of giving Hell on Earth that emotional, dramatic edge the song needs.

If the current set had more overlap with the previous two tours, or earlier History Tours, I think the comparisons to his past performances would be more imminent, but as it is, I think Bruce still gives a solid performance - even a particularly strong one with certain material.

That's not to say he isn't straining or past his prime; just that he's (mostly) very good at adapting the qualities of his current voice & vocal delivery to the demands of the set they're playing and giving a strong vocal performance overall. That's more than enough for me. :)

Given how special this setlist is, and how well he's managed to sing it through and make those performances extremely satisfying for fans who've waited so long to hear some of those being played live, I think it's quite understandable that his vocal performance gets praised, even if it's not quite on Rock in Rio '01, Ullevi 2005, Chile 2009 or even Helsinki 2018 level. ;)

Last edited:
Bruce's solo tour has shown that he definitely has a lot to offer and his voice is not the problem. If I had to point a finger I would say it is the known problem of tuning down to allow the voice to work as it should. Everyone knows that as you age the voice naturally gets lower so singing at 60 to a tuning from 40 years ago is crazy to say the least.

Bruce's solo tour has shown that he definitely has a lot to offer and his voice is not the problem. If I had to point a finger I would say it is the known problem of tuning down to allow the voice to work as it should. Everyone knows that as you age the voice naturally gets lower so singing at 60 to a tuning from 40 years ago is crazy to say the least.

That said, not tuning down really is a ballsy move and I for one actually appreciate it a lot, because downtuning fucks with the songs - I would have to check my bootlegs, but I have this hunch that Nightwish might have been tuning Stargazers down even before Marco joined, because even Tarja couldn't repeat it consistently on tour and she really pushed herself in the studio to achieve it - and the downtuned version they've been doing since, with Tarja or with Floor, being in a different key, has a completely different atmosphere and, not to put too fine a point on it, sucks ass.

About the potential live album: On one hand it'd be incredibly to get a song from a show I went to (Dortmund last year), but on the other hand if they end up being even better this year (Nicko recovered some more, some of tempos increased a bit, Bruce is as good as last year) I think I'd prefer recordings from the second set. Hopefully the crowds will be more into them in the following tour dates.

Last edited:
That said, not tuning down really is a ballsy move and I for one actually appreciate it a lot, because downtuning fucks with the songs - I would have to check my bootlegs, but I have this hunch that Nightwish might have been tuning Stargazers down even before Marco joined, because even Tarja couldn't repeat it consistently on tour and she really pushed herself in the studio to achieve it - and the downtuned version they've been doing since, with Tarja or with Floor, being in a different key, has a completely different atmosphere and, not to put too fine a point on it, sucks ass.
There's nothing inherently better about playing to the original key and tuning. Maiden have already transposed one song with Lord Of The Flies back in 2003 and I'd argue most people prefer that version, due to Bruce's vocals. Turns out a comfortable vocalist is far more important than adhering to a strict tuning as if it were sacred.

Evergrey is one of my favorite bands. They've played around with various tunings throughout their career and play some of their earlier material on lower tuned guitars. And it sounds phenomenal, with the versions on their A Night To Remember live album being often the definitive versions of many songs.

For me adhering to the old tuning is not something commendable when the overall song suffers from it. Sometimes tuning down is the best option. And I repeat, because people like to brush it off: Maiden have already transposed a song before.

I agree. On the other hand - in exchange for that we have to accept (probably) more vocal problems. If we think of singers as athletes, the difference between singing and speaking is like between working out in the gym and carrying groceries. Muscles stiffen and shrink with age. Bruce's situation now is comparable to an athlete who tries to force himself to achieve results comparable to those of 20 years ago, when he could work easier but possibly with better / more repeatable results.

Something for something. :-)

I'd say Bruce's studio peak was Accident Of Birth. That album features some insane vocals (Darkside Of Aquarius, Road To Hell bridge...). But could argue that that peak extends to Brave New World.

Live I would say 1997-2007, with his absolute peak being Early Days Tour. The fact that approximately 1/2 of the songs were Paul songs helped on songs like WED and Hallowed.

Part of me wishes WED was played on Ed Hunter tour. Knowing how Aces High sounded, I think that version would have been insane.

About his current vocals? I think he is keeping the 2019 vocal form pretty constantly now. Not 2018 great and not 2022 bad. Which is good. Some nights are of course better and some are worse.

Bruce is sounding about as good as he was a decade ago.

Sadly it sounds like this is Nicko’s last tour. Unless they want to run tracks and he can just try to keep the beat along with them for show.
Nicko maintains his level from last year with a slight improvement, but they need to be careful with the setlist for the next tour. Easier songs on the encores too or ones with not many fills. I think his biggest problem now is loosing the groove when he plays some of the fills. As long as he keeps the tempo, I think it's solid enough. Your continuation about the solution is never going to happen with Maiden. Never. It's really unfortunate and still worrying for the future.

Bruce needs a few shows, but it's clear he's more comfortable singing his solo material. Maiden set is more demanding and the encore songs are not that easy given they are tired at the end of the show. The last songs in the set will always be difficult. His timbre got a lot deeper and the voice lower, but he still hits the high notes. His best years were 1997-2011, then 2018 and last year was better than some of the years before, plus he did a lot of solo shows this year, but he still puts very good-great and solid overall performances of the tough older and some new material. Same with Rob. Which is great. Now he is at his 2018/2019 level again imo. Ofc there will be some straining here and there, that is inevitable for everyone. The vocalists job of like Bruce and Rob singing is probably harder than the drummer's over the years. I think Bruce sounds better now than he did 10 years ago, more or less because of the different voice/highs. Some nights are better and vice versa, but I think we should be grateful how Bruce sounds now.
I bet if they were to release an official live album from The Future Past tour, Bruce’s voice would sound fairly similar as it does on Nights of the Dead.
Wow. But who knows which show/s they would choose...
About the potential live album: On what hand it'd be incredibly to get a song from a show I went to (Dortmund last year), but if they end up being even better this year (Nicko recovered some more, some of tempos increased a bit, Bruce is as good as last year) I think I'd prefer recordings from the second set. Hopefully the crowds will be more into them in the following tour dates.
I think they should choose recordings from multiple shows, maybe mostly from the 2nd leg because of Nicko, but what if Bruce's performances are a bit better last year. It's hard now with the live releases. And Maiden have a tendency on their last two live releases not to pick some of the better live performances, which is sad. The SA shows at the end of the tour will be recorded I assume and we hope for very good performances.

Last edited:
So from what I've heard from Perth it doesn't sound like there's any reason to put Nicko on the chopping block to me. No more lightning fast rolls down the toms anymore? Meh, the tempos sound fine, so I'm happy as long as I've got that.

About the potential live album: On one hand it'd be incredibly to get a song from a show I went to (Dortmund last year), but on the other hand if they end up being even better this year (Nicko recovered some more, some of tempos increased a bit, Bruce is as good as last year) I think I'd prefer recordings from the second set. Hopefully the crowds will be more into them in the following tour dates.
I would love Dortmund AS well but just record a whole show in Argentina, it's due. They've had Brazil, Chile and now go for it. SA crowds blow any other out of the water. Plus, I prefer a complete gig instead of a compilation.

They just have to nail it lol

This sucks ass? It's an amazing performance imo.

Back