The Future Past Tour 2024

That may be true actually. The whole Nicko thing is kind of a big variable right now, as I believe that if Maiden replace him they add at least 5 years to their carreer imo when it comes to playing live.
Exactly, this is a real problem and sooner or later they will be forced to find a solution. I wouldn't like to be surprised if they take a year off, maybe release documentary series and back to touring in 2026. It makes sense.

As I said, I'm against replacing Nicko all together and he should still play 5-8 songs if they go that route.

The hardest part would be finding a drummer that fans would be excited about and, especially, has the groove that Nicko has... (I still believe that Joe Lazarus was insurance reduction policy back when Nicko was the only band member over 65 years old).

And don't say Portnoy...

As I said, I'm against replacing Nicko all together and he should still play 5-8 songs if they go that route.

The hardest part would be finding a drummer that fans would be excited about and, especially, has the groove that Nicko has... (I still believe that Joe Lazarus was insurance reduction policy back when Nicko was the only band member over 65 years old).

And don't say Portnoy...
Yeah please no portnoy, would not fit at all.

I think if they get a replacement drummer, it shouldn't be a metal drummer. It should be someone who can play a variety of styles, but can also play heavy metal/hard rock. Not those fast double drum/fill technicians.

Someone of the mould of Gregg Bisonette or Simon Phillips for example (giving them just as an example, as they can play basically any style and have groove).

He was terrible with Twisted Sister, you'd think it'd be easy to nail something as simple as this but he's completely off somehow
Yeah, and he would also insist on having the ultra modern clicky drum sound, which would not fit maiden at all

I would be disappointed if Joe Lazarus was chosen.
This may have something to do with the fact that I dislike nepotism, but also because Maiden could make a very different announcement about a new live drummer if it was a much better known, more respected drummer in the metal/rock scene and among musicians/fans.

If any of you have known someone personally who's had a stroke you would all be amazed by Nicko's recovery and return to form.
We are not dismissing that. It's incredible, as I said before. But the thing is, that Nicko can't play some songs anymore, namely RTTH which was demonstrated during his performance with the Royal Marines.

I'm just talking about the debate about replacing Nicko with a touring drummer. They should not do a full swap. I'm against that. But if they get someone that can play 4-5 songs that are too difficult for Nicko in his current condition, while Nicko plays the rest of the set, I'm fine with that. And again, if they do that, they shouldn't get a metal drummer.

And I'll repeat myself again... Let's wait before Japanese gigs before drawing conclusions (although his first current performance was as good as late June ones from last year, which is a great sign).

I'll go even further and say with my straightest face that, realistically speaking, Iron Maiden should have started tuning down on stage as early as 1984, and that they should have recorded the majority of The X Factor and following albums, AMOLAD in particular, in Eb tuning (if not in D tuning).

This is probably their biggest flaw and musical limit. Not being too much comfortable with alternative tunings and in general with anything that is too far from their comfort zone. It's a matter of habitude, really, too bad they didn't even try.
I'll go even further and Eb (and D) sound better than E

Blaze plays his Maiden stuff in D tuning nowadays (should have been in that tuning from the off)

You do not think he has been wearing a beanie hat all summer because it was really cold, do you?

The fact that he has better hair than many people of a similar age does not necessarily exclude balding.
Still waiting for someone to show me a Bruce bald spot

I saw Hetfields (he got it fixed). Never seen Bruce's

I'll go even further and Eb (and D) sound better than E

Blaze plays his Maiden stuff in D tuning nowadays (should have been in that tuning from the off)
Depends on a song. And original key. WY in Eb works great as demonstrated on RK tour. Something like TNOTB only works in D IMO.

Tuning further down amplifies this. A good example is Sammy Hagar on current tour (they tune to D). Songs like Judgement Day and Seventh Seal work great, while a songs like Summer Nights and Ain't Talking Bout Love just sound too dark.

One of the best things about this forum is how, in the same thread, people can be discussing serious topics like the band's future and, at the same time, others might be chatting about Bruce's bald spot. Suddenly, someone might jump in with a screenshot of Adrian's scarf, claiming it was used before in Dortmund in 1983 during "Where Eagles Dare" (and that he threw it away after that because it was too hot).

Not criticizing, by the way. I actually love it.

Back