The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine Maiden picking up this song during the Future Past tour. I know it's very unlikely but it would still be very cool! Definitely one of my favorite songs from BNW!
Come to think of it, I think this tour with the inclusion of SIT songs is the reason why they didn't change 3 or more songs for LOTB 2022. That, and becasue they played 3 new songs. They just wanted to keep the original setlist as much as possible (although they removed 1 song from it). This song could have been played back then for sure (along with Clairvoyant, Afraid To Shoot Strangers etc). One of my favorites from BNW too.

Btw, Bruce said in an interview around the time of Senjutsu release that there would be a tour where they would play songs that are rarely played live, and it seems he meant this tour. We didn't pay much attention to that then.

Come to think of it, I think this tour with the inclusion of SIT songs is the reason why they didn't change 3 or more songs for LOTB 2022. That, and becasue they played 3 new songs. They just wanted to keep the original setlist as much as possible (although they removed 1 song from it). This song could have been played back then for sure (along with Clairvoyant, Afraid To Shoot Strangers etc). One of my favorites from BNW too.

Given that the 2022 was part of The Legacy of the Beast anyway, I don't think there would've been any more changes regardless what the theme of the next tour was; it might have had some minor impact when e.g when choosing whether to switch one or two classics and/or Blood Brothers but I think the main LOTB set would've stayed more or less the same regardless.

And sure, Dream of Mirrors (or The Clairvoyant or Afraid to Shoot Strangers etc.) could have been played, but doesn't that apply to like... I don't know, two thirds of the discography anyway? :D Not to be a doomer or anything, but of all the potential setlist picks, I think Dream of Mirrors still remains miles away from the most potential ones.

Again, I could be wrong too.

I'd also sell Dick Brucinson's grandmother to hear Wasting Love again. :innocent::D

Beware, she might know how to fight. Along with all the other old fashioned stuff like wrong and right. :D

Hypothetically, if Maiden doesn't do hybrid tour, but just focus revisiting Somewhere in Time, what songs would be in the setlist instead of Senjutsu. 5 classics, 5 from SiT and 5-6 empty slots.
Phantom and 2 Minutes to Midnight would be nice throwback to Somewhere on Tour. Futureal would suit themematically. Brave New World - something from reunion and cheeky tie-in with Stranger in Strange Land. And lastly how about Speed of Light - reunion era tune that would have been perfect fit on the SiT album. What's your thoughts?

-- Brave New World - something from reunion and cheeky tie-in with Stranger in Strange Land.

Thematically, Brave New World isn't too far removed from the world (visual aesthics etc.) of Somewhere in Time, so I'd give it a solid chance... :) Even now, I wouldn't rule it out, albeit I think it most likely won't be played. I'd love it as a FOTD substitute, though, but...

And lastly how about Speed of Light - reunion era tune that would have been perfect fit on the SiT album. What's your thoughts?

Dude, Dickinson writing credit, so no.

;)

Oops, been a while since was last here. Anyways, back in action, waiting for the tour etc.
Did I miss much?
Well, they have announced they will debut "Déjà Vu", "Judas Be My Guide" and "Look For The Truth"... and that Janick will be replaced by Angus Young on one leg, for the sakes of stage dynamics. Too bad you weren't there for the announcement by Steve in perfect RP English on the BBC...

Last edited:
Well, they have announced they will debut "Déjà Vu", "Judas Be My Guide" and "Look For The Truth"... and that Janick will be replaced by Angus Young on one leg, for the sakes of stage dynamics. Too bad you weren't there for the announcement by Steve in perfect RP English on the BBC...
You had me right up until you said Steve spoke perfect RP English...

If they omitted the Senjustu songs that would 100% open the door for Rime as the epic to be played. Its one Bruce recently mentioned that they want to do again at some point
Hypothetically, if Maiden doesn't do hybrid tour, but just focus revisiting Somewhere in Time, what songs would be in the setlist instead of Senjutsu. 5 classics, 5 from SiT and 5-6 empty slots.
Phantom and 2 Minutes to Midnight would be nice throwback to Somewhere on Tour. Futureal would suit themematically. Brave New World - something from reunion and cheeky tie-in with Stranger in Strange Land. And lastly how about Speed of Light - reunion era tune that would have been perfect fit on the SiT album. What's your thoughts?

ADDENDUM:
I can't believe biggest SIT fan on this forum (Zare) deleted his account before they announced this tour. Damn it, man...

Not only that, but he delated to buy tickets for opening show in Slovenia, I was waiting for him to decide and now it’s sold out. Nightprowlered, grrrr!
Speaking of which NP will attend the opening show, together with Matic I think.

You’ll go?

Given that the 2022 was part of The Legacy of the Beast anyway, I don't think there would've been any more changes regardless what the theme of the next tour was; it might have had some minor impact when e.g when choosing whether to switch one or two classics and/or Blood Brothers but I think the main LOTB set would've stayed more or less the same regardless.

And sure, Dream of Mirrors (or The Clairvoyant or Afraid to Shoot Strangers etc.) could have been played, but doesn't that apply to like... I don't know, two thirds of the discography anyway? :D Not to be a doomer or anything, but of all the potential setlist picks, I think Dream of Mirrors still remains miles away from the most potential ones.
Of course the main set would have stayed the same, but 2/3 changes were possible, regardless of theme of the next tour. Heaven Can Wait (not Stranger) could have been one of them. We can't be sure about the songs, but who would have thought they would be celebrating the SIT album on a tour again! Sure, it's only been played on one tour, but it's a very possible deep cut for the future.
The 5 SIT songs + the 5 mandatory classics and songs like Phantom/Rime, 2 Minutes, Prisoner, Killers, Boots. I doubt they would have included a Reunion era song because it would have been a History tour more or less, but who knows (like they did with Afraid in 2012/2013).

Speed Of Light in SIT, I'm not sure about that.
Thematically, Brave New World isn't too far removed from the world (visual aesthics etc.) of Somewhere in Time, so I'd give it a solid chance... :) Even now, I wouldn't rule it out, albeit I think it most likely won't be played.
I think Brave New World is the ''deep cut'' with the most chances to be played on this tour. Futureal is next. But they might go for a short song like Futureal or Total Eclipse or... just the usual classics and nothing more. :S

Last edited:
Of course the main set would have stayed the same, but 2/3 changes were possible, regardless of theme of the next tour. Stranger In A Strange Land could have been one of them.

Yeah, one or two little changes were definitely possible and something like Blood Brothers might have been there even if the COVID break didn't happen, but I doubt they would have rehearsed a cut like Stranger in a Strange Land for one single leg of the tour that already had a clear concept and show structure. From such deep cuts, I think Children of the Damned and Phantom of the Opera are closest that come to mind.

Anyway, we're definitely in for a treat this year! Great to finally witness Stranger in a Strange Land live. With Stranger, The Writing on the Wall, Wasted Years and maaaybe even Sea of Madness it's going to be an outstanding AOR (Adrian-Oriented-Rock) experience.

(a shout out for a Finnish Iron Maiden podcast for the AOR term haha)

Sure, it's only been played on one tour, but it's a very possible deep cut for the future.

Well, yes..? I mean, yeah, but again, the very same still applies to almost every song that has been played live, save a few oddities that are very much out of the question. :D

That all being said, Brave New World seems to be one of the much cherished albums within the band as well, so those cuts do have some... competitive edge when it comes to future setlists, so yeah.

Okay I've done enough nitpicking around this matter.. :D

On Spotify, it has more streams than The Evil That Men Do and Can I Play With Madness combined. Pretty wild.
I can imagine the conversations at the Youtube/Spotify headquaters:

"Do they have a slower song or a love long we can push?"

"Well they arent exactly a love song type of band but they have this one track from their most impopular album that never really took off and hasn't been played live in 30 years. It doesn't seem like the type of song that captures the core audience's interest."

"Put it at the top of all Iron Maiden playlists!"

I think Brave New World is the ''deep cut'' with the most chances to be played on this tour. Futureal is next. But they might go for a short song like Futureal or Total Eclipse or... just the usual classics and nothing more. :S
Brave New World, I think, has a few contenders that we might hear and that fit well with the theme of the Future Past tour. Wicker Man, Brave New World and Dream of Mirrors are the frontrunners. I'm not expecting Blood Brothers again (since we already saw it in 2022). And honestly, I think the rest of the songs (Ghost of the Navigator, Mercenary, Fallen Angel, Nomad, Silent Planet and Thin Line) are not going to be played, at least not on this tour. I would love to see them live someday, especially Ghost of the Navigator, but it seems unlikely for now.

Furthermore, there are a few hints that Total Eclipse might be played, and it is thought that the buildings in the background of the tour poster refer to the buildings in the background of the new Total Eclipse cover. So who knows. Would be great! It's not my favorite song ever but I wouldn't mind seeing it live.

Last edited:
Imagine the ultimate intro troll from Maiden on the Future Past tour, although I would actually love it:

Doctor Doctor finishes playing. The lights dim and you hear a distorted sound. "Oh, could this be the intro to Caught Somehwere in Time, or maybe the Blade Runner theme"?

Then: "I try to call the Earth's command, desperation in my voice. I'm drifting way off course now, with very little choice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back