The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the band need to do any more Blaze-era tracks now.

1999 - 2022:
Ed Hunter: Man on The Edge, Futureal, The Clansman.
Brave New World: Sign of the Cross, The Clansman.
Give me Ed: The Clansman.
Dance of Death: Lord of the Flies.
Legacy: Sign of the Cross, The Clansman.

Play Killers, Bring Your Daughter, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Wasting Love or No Prayer for the Dying instead!
Or why not Afraid to Shoot Strangers again?

Last edited:

1999 - 2022:
I actually agree about the Blaze songs. I think they can be retired. I love Sign of the Cross and I love The Clansman, but they have truly given them their due. I'd much rather hear more reunion era tunes.

What is the definition of a true fan?

I have been following the band since 1991 but think that Virtual XI is shit for the most part. There are also some Maiden songs that make me cringe. Am I a true enough fan? :p

Unacceptable. I'm sorry, but

rejected-stamp.gif

:D

Last edited:
All the nostalgia tours are aimed that way. Real fans will go to any tour, younger fans will go to any tour. But casual fans who haven't kept touch since the 80s will think twice, hence the "play classics" sign on the AMOLAD tour. The nostalgia tours generally play in slightly bigger venues, due to guys who only want nostalgia turning up as well as the true fans and younger fans.
And most bands cater to this level of fan more than any other type of fan, as a lowest common denominator. And that's what Maiden are doing with the nostalgia tours.
You have a point. Maiden also do History/Hits tours for their younger fans, as they said themselves. AMOLAD 2006 tour was very specific, we have to say that.

I have been following the band since 1991 but think that Virtual XI is shit for the most part
As a true fan you should be able to appreciate the music in VXI album. ;)

1999 - 2022:

Play Killers, Bring Your Daughter, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Wasting Love or No Prayer for the Dying instead!
Or why not Afraid to Shoot Strangers again?
While I sort of agree (and I definitely want to hear Killers, more 90's songs or more Reunion era songs), I would like to hear Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide or The Edge Of Darkness live again.

Playing songs from an album in which Bruce wasn't the original vocalist on 5 tours is still pretty good.

As a true fan you should be able to appreciate the music in VXI album. ;)
Hallelujah! I guess, I am true. I appreciate even two songs. Futureal and The Clansman. :D

The Blaze era should contain one album. The X Factor+
1. Futureal
2. Lord Of The Flies
3. Fortunes Of War
4. The Aftermath
5. The Clansman

6. Man On The Edge
7. Judgement Of Heaven
8. Blood On the World's Hands
9. The Edge Of Darkness
10. Sign Of The Cross

Last edited:

I have been following the band since 1991 but think that Virtual XI is shit for the most part. There are also some Maiden songs that make me cringe. Am I a true enough fan? :p
We have a similar background in regard to when we got into Maiden and VXI is bottom of the pile of maiden albums for me too :bigsmile:

I don’t think it’s shit and by most other bands standards it would still be a great album. My only issue with it is it’s the only album that feels forced. Like they took the backlash to X-Factor to much to heart and thought “right then, next album only 8 tracks, one big epic and one fast opening song” it’s like they tried hard to make an album they thought the play classics crowd would want in a similar vein to the 80’s albums. They also messed up a bit with the over repeated lyrics kn some songs.

Anyway, back to the topic there is a different level of fandom as has been mentioned.

My best mate is a classic example of the play classics crowd. He was a massive maiden fan back in the day and even got me into them but as time went on and life changed he lost touch with the band. Kids, marriage, career all took centre stage. Now when Maiden tour I can get him to come along to the nostalgia tours because it’s a reminder of the old days, we get to have a good night out and he gets to hear a lot of songs he remembers from days when he had no responsibilities and no mortgage lol.

He doesn’t dislike the newer stuff and actually enjoyed the BOS tour gig we went too but he just doesn’t keep up with them or music in general in the same way he did in his youth.

A large number of the play classics crowd I think are similar. It’s not that they hate the post reunion stuff it’s just that life got in the way and changed their priorities.

The history tours cater for a lot of people and the future past tour, in my eyes, is the perfect way to combine old and new. I think it would be great if they have one more album in them to do it again and combine the next album with another history or old album theme .

There are also some Maiden songs that make me cringe.
Wow.
I think it would be great if they have one more album in them to do it again and combine the next album with another history or old album theme .
Which album would that be? The 80's albums are all covered with SIT. Like the Reunion albums, although TFF could have had a better representation. The Blaze albums? I doubt it. The early 90's albums would be the only choice needed really. Or maybe AMOLAD because they didn't release a concert video from the tour (similar situation to the SIT album). And BNW is always a fan favorite.

Well, the last verse of Total Eclipse makes me cringe, so I get the sentiment lol

Which album would that be? The 80's albums are all covered with SIT. Like the Reunion albums, although TFF could have had a better representation. The Blaze albums? I doubt it. The early 90's albums would be the only choice needed really. Or maybe AMOLAD because they didn't release a concert video from the tour (similar situation to the SIT album). And BNW is always a fan favorite.

None of the 90's albums are really popular unfortunately, so if there'd ever be a history tour that includes the 90's it would probably be all of them and just take the best of the best.

Gotta be honest though, I don't want any more history or best-of tours. We've had the Early Days, SBIT, Maiden England and like a gajillion legs of Legacy Of The Beast. I'm fine with the hybrid concept of Future Past, but I mostly want new albums and tours supporting them, as long as we can get something like that. Since 2000 we've basically had the same amount of new album tours and some kind of throwback tours. I love the classics as well, but the alternative is simply so much more interesting than TNOTB, RTTH and The Trooper for the millionth time.

None of the 90's albums are really popular unfortunately, so if there'd ever be a history tour that includes the 90's it would probably be all of them and just take the best of the best.

Gotta be honest though, I don't want any more history or best-of tours. We've had the Early Days, SBIT, Maiden England and like a gajillion legs of Legacy Of The Beast. I'm fine with the hybrid concept of Future Past, but I mostly want new albums and tours supporting them, as long as we can get something like that. Since 2000 we've basically had the same amount of new album tours and some kind of throwback tours. I love the classics as well, but the alternative is simply so much more interesting than TNOTB, RTTH and The Trooper for the millionth time.
Yeah, a 90's era tour or 90's albums representation in the setlists is probably never going to happen. Although they may have wanted to do such a tour if we are to judge by the History live DVD's. The 2014 tour was the perfect time for that imo.

I also don't want more Hits tours. Only for the 90's (or with rarely played live songs); Reunion songs only too.

Btw, speaking of 90's songs, Akirant answered a question from a fan saying that the buildings in ruins on the tour poster are similar to the ones in VXI cover, but they're not related. I hope he just doesn't want to spoil things. I really want to hear Futureal live again.

You all will see, Futureal will be opening song.
Because it fits 100%. Because it's short and fast and gets you going.
And like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman it's a nod to Maiden's Blaze era.
Screen shot it.

99% Wasted Years will be last song of the set.

You all will see, Futureal will be opening song.
Because it fits 100%. Because it's short and fast and gets you going.
And like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman it's a nod to Maiden's Blaze era.
Screen shot it.

99% Wasted Years will be last song of the set.

One of your statements is likely to be true.

Anybody of you going to see a British Lion gig around the Maiden gig? Just curious. I probably won't because it's not so much my type of music, but it's cool idea Steve playing a club gig the day before a Maiden show.

Anybody of you going to see a British Lion gig around the Maiden gig? Just curious. I probably won't because it's not so much my type of music, but it's cool idea Steve playing a club gig the day before a Maiden show.

I probably won't make it as it clashes with a football match I will likely be at, but I did see them in Paris the night before Maiden in the summer of last year. Definitely well worth going to, and Doug Sampsons band Airborne are supporting I think so would worth it just for the curiosity of seeing Doug.

I was speculating with some other fans and thinking about the props Maiden will use during the Future Past tour and what they may or may not reuse from the Legacy of the Beast tour or past tours. My thoughts:

• Samurai Eddie - Will definitely return in my opinion. Maybe not during the song "Senjutsu" since they probably won't play that during this tour, but maybe during another song from the Senjutsu album. And since Samurai Eddie is on the tour poster, it only makes sense that he would return.

• Bruce's "Fear of the Dark" costume - In doubt since he introduced this costume during the Legacy of the Beast tour and since that was a very thematic tour (based/inspired by the game admittedly) I don't know if it "makes sense" if it returns during the Future Past tour. While the costume does add something to the song I think it is completely outside the theme of the Future Past tour.

• The noose of "Hallowed Be Thy Name"- Again, a very cool addition on this song, but also the same as with the "Fear of the Dark" costume. The theme from the Legacy of the Beast tour was so strong, I don't know if it would fit the Future Past tour as well. Now the noose is not a big prop, so maybe they will just apply it, but if the theme becomes "neon Japan" by way of, I don't know to what extent it will fit.

• Trooper Eddie - I think Bruce said it very well in the video of the band members thanking us fans for the Legacy of the Beast tour. "Let's put Eddie to bed". I don't think we will see Trooper Eddie walking on stage anymore. Simply because Trooper Eddie played a big role during the Legacy of the Beast tour (I mean, he was on just about every poster and tour merch) and it's now time for something else. It was really great to see Bruce and Eddie fighting on stage, but I think if they did it again, it would become outdated and boring because we have already seen it for 3 years (2018, 2019, 2022).

• The Japanese temples - Part of me says we will see them again since they were only used for a very short time (only in 2022) and thus had very little stage time since the Japanese stage was taken down after only 3 songs. But another part of me thinks very strongly that we are going to see a totally new and unique stage made especially for this tour. A "futuristic Japan" theme as we also see in the promo video for this tour perhaps?

Further, some "new" props that I think are cool to see:
  • Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie - We've seen Cyborg Eddie as we know him from the cover of Somewhere in Time on stage before. Most recently during the Somewhere Back in Time tour. Therefore, I thought it would be cool to see a Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie during the corresponding song for a change. And since Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie is also on the tour poster, it seems like a logical move.

• Cyborg Eddie VS Samurai Eddie - Still to bring in Cyborg Eddie in; We have NEVER seen 2 Eddie's on stage at the same time until now. Why not change that and let the 2 Eddie's fight it out? During which song? It could be during Time Machine although I think that song is a little too melodic for that. Maybe during The Trooper or Iron Maiden?

• A "new" inflatable Eddie during "Iron Maiden" - We all know him. The giant Eddie who appears behind Nicko during the song "Iron Maiden." We have seen him on many tours and always in different formats. During the Legacy of the Beast tour we had devil Eddie, The Book of Souls tour was shaman Eddie and during the Final Frontier tour we saw an alien Eddie, although this one was not fully inflatable (more mechanical). Give us a new inflatable giant Eddie. Maybe Senjutsu Eddie, or the Eddie we see on the poster, who is half Samurai and half Cyborg.

• An "Alexander the Great" prop - I'm not quite sure what I'd rather imagine; Bruce wearing a unique suit during this song or a version of Eddie coming on stage wearing a Alexander suit. Either way, it would be cool if there was something of a prop to this song since this is probably the song almost everyone is looking forward to.

• "Flight of Icarus" rifle, but with a laser - Simple, give Bruce a gun or rifle similair to the one we saw on the Legacy of the Beast tour that shoots laser beams into the audience or into the air during one of the Somewhere in Time songs.
These are just a few ideas, but I think they could work and are not too far fetched. Let me know what you all think and if you have any ideas of your own, let me (and us) know!

Last edited:
I still think having Futureal in the setlist is pure FANtasy.
Steve wrote the music, but the lyrics (and the vocal melody?) were 100 % by Blaze.

Therefore, I don't think Steve or any other band member will push for that song. Back in 1998, Steve even preferred "The Angel and The Gambler", which he composed alone, as the first single from Virtual XI...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back