The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tour like that would be perfection for me. Many of the popular deep cuts of the 80's have been revisited a bunch. Songs like Aces High for example have multiple live versions now, from various points in their career.

With the BNW and DOD tours featuring some Blaze-era songs I was hoping that his trend would continue and that some of those songs would get their second chance. In the hands of a vocalists like Bruce, who is masterful at interacting with crowds, some of those songs could work incredibly well live. Not to mention that they'd sound better than the weak production of the studio albums. I'm happy that SOTC and The Clansman have reached a status where they held their own on the Legacy tour, but I'd love to hear some other forgotten songs at some point.

NPFTD and FOTD could use some revisiting as well. Sure, the former especially gets criticized a lot, but the title track or Public Enema Number One are great and melodic songs. Judas Be My Guide seems to be one of the most popular songs of the 90's (mostly because folks seem to dislike everything else more lol), why not play something like that?

More reunion representation would be amazing as well. Some of their best work (in my opinion of course) was written after reuniting. They certainly don't need to feel ashamed and hide an amazing collection of music. Most reunion-era tours have gotten official live releases (where's A Matter Of Live And Death, Steve? WHERE IS IT???), so I kinda get that they don't really see the necessity of featuring some of those songs. On the other hand there are like 3 billion versions of RTTH lol. Just give us a bit more variety.
I think you're porbably right about the reason they don't play Reunion era songs more often, but the same can be said for their peers. The 90's albums are really forgotten, but since they are perceived as the ''dark period'' of the band, we can probably guess why. But they can absolutely play 1/2 songs from the 90's on every tour and it will be great. Futureal, an obvious example. I would love to see such a tour. Maiden have improved their setlists for the last 2 tours, but as I've always said, it's difficult to drop the classics in a 15 songs set. Every band has forgotten albums when it comes to live performances. The 90's albums (except the Blaze albums) have live albums, live songs, pro-shot videos, but SIT has nothing, so it was about time! And Judas is a great song.
There are so many great songs on NPFTD, FotD (apart from the title track which we're getting every tour now), XF and VXI that have so much potential to be played live. And I'm not even counting the reunion albums now. It feels like Maiden doesn't care about those anymore after their respective tour is over, at least that's how it feels to me. Sure we saw DoD on the Final Frontier tour and Greater Good on the 2018 and 2019 Legacy of the Beast tour, but that's about it (not counting the 2010 leg of the Final Frontier tour). I think it's safe to say we'll never hear another song from The Final Frontier or Book of Souls again.
Never say never about more Reunion songs on future tours. Especially from BNW, Senjutsu and maybe AMOLAD. DOD has some classics that could be played live again. TFF and TBOS have strong live songs that could be revisited.

With the 90's albums is more ''difficult'' because we have 2 albums that were not recorded with Bruce and he and Steve are not fans of NPFTD. Why they don't play the title track is a mystery to me. FOTD has quite a few songs they could revisit, definitely.
My take on the motivation behind the Future Past Tour - for the last nearly 20 years Maiden have alternated between album tour and history/greatest hits tour. The band lost out on 2 years of touring due to the pandemic - given that they are aware they won't be around forever at this point they may have decided to combine the Senjutsu album tour plans with the next history tour (SiT based) plans so that they will move on to whatever comes next in 2025 (new album/farewell tour) and be back on track. In other words if COVID had never come along maybe we would have got:

2020: Legacy Of The Beast final leg
2021/22: Senjutsu tour
2023/24: SiT retrospective tour
2025: ???

Instead we get:
2022: LotB with Senjutsu realm
2023/24: Future Past
Spot on. TFP will most likely be 3 years, like SIT retrospective tour would have probably been.

Last edited:
My take on the motivation behind the Future Past Tour - for the last nearly 20 years Maiden have alternated between album tour and history/greatest hits tour. The band lost out on 2 years of touring due to the pandemic - given that they are aware they won't be around forever at this point they may have decided to combine the Senjutsu album tour plans with the next history tour (SiT based) plans so that they will move on to whatever comes next in 2025 (new album/farewell tour) and be back on track. In other words if COVID had never come along maybe we would have got:

2023/24: SiT retrospective tour

Instead we get:
2022: LotB with Senjutsu realm
2023/24: Future Past
2024/25: World Slavery Tour+SIT?

This is the last 80’s album they have not focused on, so it goes down to one last effort to squeeze out some "fresh" nostalgia, because tickets to these shows sells a lot easier than regular tours. So I think Steve and Rod have been counting money during the pandemic, and have pulled this hybrid tour as a last resort to get a quick fix.
It’s ridiculous to say Maiden are just motivated by crass commercial concerns. Steve has proven his entire career that musical integrity is his first priority. He never sold out. And Maiden will sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money regardless of the theme of a tour. I think this is kind of libelous.

Regarding 90s material: Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross and Clansman together represent over 25 minutes of music. I'd LOVE to hear some deep-cuts from that era, but 25 minutes of material is much better than a skeleton at the bottom of the sea. I feel like sometimes focus on what songs are/aren't played and not the ratio of the material against the length of the live show. Over a quarter of the last show was 90s material, going by that metric.

It’s ridiculous to say Maiden are just motivated by crass commercial concerns. Steve has proven his entire career that musical integrity is his first priority. He never sold out. And Maiden will sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money regardless of the theme of a tour.
True. Also I don't think Maiden did the History tours for money (although the money comes from touring nowadays), they just wanted to tour until it was time for the next album without taking any breaks and to play more of their classics (because they play a lot of new songs on album tours). The ''last resort'' part in the quoted post is exaggerated. The answer is simple - they lost 2 years of touring and Steve always wanted to film the orignal SIT tour. That's it.

Had they toured for Senjutsu in late-2021/early-2022 I feel the tour would have been just as fine. It's just the timing is way off in doing a full Senjutsu run nearly two full years after its release.

True. Also I don't think Maiden did the History tours for money (although the money comes from touring nowadays), they just wanted to tour until it was time for the next album without taking any breaks and to play more of their classics (because they play a lot of new songs on album tours). The ''last resort'' part in the quoted post is exaggerated. The answer is simple - they lost 2 years of touring and Steve always wanted to film the orignal SIT tour. That's it.

All proceeds were surely donated to charity... :rolleyes:

Somewhere in time is for people like the guys I know who say Iron Maiden was a brilliant band in the 80's, but today their material is crap.

What? I think their new materail is awesome but have you never noticed there are in fact people who think so?
It was already discussed in this forum before: the "classic people".
Even Steve Harris himself knows it. In an interview you published here he talks about the people who think the band died in the 80's. Don't you read what you publish here?
I think I have to look for another forum.

And four years after it was recorded!

Imagine Iron Maiden doing a full Killers tour in 1985! :lol:
To be fair I think people would be mad if they DIDN'T do a Senjutsu tour, even if it's the Future Past tour like we're getting now. Yes it's been 4 years after recording and 2 years after release but I think they took the perfect approach with this tour instead of completely skipping over any of the other material from the Senjutsu album and only having played the first 3 songs during the LotB tour. A lot of people (including me) would've been left in the dark. People that love Senjutsu and are eager to hear some unplayed songs from that album live.

They could've just said "You know what? Fuck Senjutsu. Let's just revisit Somewhere in Time" and not play anything of that album ever again. Because, let's face it, Maiden is nearing the end and we'll be lucky if there's another album after Senjutsu + a supporting tour and Maiden is not known for playing songs from their newer albums on the tour after that album. I doubt we'll ever see songs from Book of Souls or The Final Frontier being played live ever again. The Future Past Tour = perfection.

And to respond to your last sentence, I think there will always be hype to hear songs from earlier albums and that has nothing to do with age. May I remind you that the Future Past tour is one that also supports Somewhere in Time, a 1986 album. There is a lot of hype for that, so claiming that an album is too old for a support tour is just silly. Remember how hyped people were when they went on the Somewhere Back in Time tour, or the Maiden England tour? And don't give me the "BuT sEnjUTsU suCKs" crap because that's subjective.

Last edited:
It's just the timing is way off in doing a full Senjutsu run nearly two full years after its release.
Nightwish also waited 2 years to start touring for their latest album because of the same circumstances. And Maiden had to finish LOTB tour.
Somewhere in time is for people like the guys I know who say Iron Maiden was a brilliant band in the 80's, but today their material is crap.
That's what the classics are for. For example, TBOS tour setlist was half old songs/classics and half new songs.
To be fair I think people would be mad if they DIDN'T do a Senjutsu tour, even if it's the Future Past tour like we're getting now. Yes it's been 4 years after recording and 2 years after release but I think they took the perfect approach with this tour instead of completely skipping over any of the other material from the Senjutsu album and only having played the first 3 songs during the LotB tour. A lot of people (including me) would've been left in the dark. People that love Senjutsu and are eager to hear some unplayed songs from that album live.

They could've just said "You know what? Fuck Senjutsu. Let's just revisit Somewhere in Time" and not play anything of that album ever again. Because, let's face it, Maiden is nearing the end and we'll be lucky if there's another album after Senjutsu + a supporting tour and Maiden is not known for playing songs from their newer albums on the tour after that album. I doubt we'll ever see songs from Book of Souls or The Final Frontier being played live ever again. The Future Past Tour = perfection.

And to respond to your last sentence, I think there will always be hype to hear songs from earlier albums and that has nothing to do with age. May I remind you that the Future Past tour is one that also supports Somewhere in Time, a 1986 album. There is a lot of hype for that, so claiming that an album is too old for a support tour is just silly. Remember how hyped people were when they went on the Somewhere Back in Time tour, or the Maiden England tour? And don't give me the "BuT sEnjUTsU suCKs" crap because that's subjective.
^ This. Maiden always support their new albums heavily and that's the right thing to do. Otherwise, what's the point. We may never hear some of these songs live again.

Pathetic attempt at trolling

It's a fair point.

All the nostalgia tours are aimed that way. Real fans will go to any tour, younger fans will go to any tour. But casual fans who haven't kept touch since the 80s will think twice, hence the "play classics" sign on the AMOLAD tour. The nostalgia tours generally play in slightly bigger venues, due to guys who only want nostalgia turning up as well as the true fans and younger fans.

It's a fair point.

All the nostalgia tours are aimed that way. Real fans will go to any tour, younger fans will go to any tour. But casual fans who haven't kept touch since the 80s will think twice, hence the "play classics" sign on the AMOLAD tour. The nostalgia tours generally play in slightly bigger venues, due to guys who only want nostalgia turning up as well as the true fans and younger fans.

What is the definition of a true fan?

I have been following the band since 1991 but think that Virtual XI is shit for the most part. There are also some Maiden songs that make me cringe. Am I a true enough fan? :p

What is the definition of a true fan?

I have been following the band since 1991 but think that Virtual XI is shit for the most part. There are also some Maiden songs that make me cringe. Am I a true enough fan? :p

Yep, you actually listened to VXI to come to the conclusion it's shit.

When I'm talking about the "play classics" crowd and not including them in the group of "true fans", I'm not having a go at them. It's just a different level of fandom. They lost interest in Maiden sometime in the past, haven't kept up with what Maiden are doing but are still interested enough for a nostalgic night out if the set is likely to cater to material they remember.

There's nothing wrong with that, I would probably categorise myself as such a fan for a high percentage of the bands I like.

And most bands cater to this level of fan more than any other type of fan, as a lowest common denominator. And that's what Maiden are doing with the nostalgia tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back