The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
↑ This scenario will not happen. Maiden will not shoot in the foot. They know, expectations are high. Imo, they will deliver.
Worst case, instead of Alexander The Great we will get Rime Of The Ancient Mariner :D
Yep. I can't think of a more appropriate stage than with futuristic decor. About the setlist, we can't be sure, but I think the ''5+5'' hint is strong and something that Maiden loves to do. Bruce said he would like to play Rime live again, but I'm pretty hopeful that this time the situation will be different, unlike 1986. Idk why, but for some reason I don't expect the song to be played live again. Maybe because it's a special and quite long song, but it's totally possible. They have to meet the main expectation - Alexander! Because of the fans. Even with only 4 SIT songs could be good too - Stranger, Wasted, Alexander, the title track or Sea or Heaven. If we get 3 of the 4 (Stranger, Alexander, title track, Sea), it would be amazing.

Bruce said he would like to play Rime live again, but I'm pretty hopeful that this time the situation will be different, unlike 1986. Idk why, but for some reason I don't expect the song to be played live again. Maybe because it's a special and quite long song, but it's totally possible.

I don't think they'd do it for this tour either, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is definitely a song that I could see being one of the teased "selling points" and "centerpieces" for the next tour, whatever that'll be. I mean, it's certainly a song that could still have one more run ahead of it. But we'll see, this was not too serious speculation anyway.

About the setlist, we can't be sure, but I think the ''5+5'' "Our intention is to play about two thirds of the original track list of 'Maiden England', including some songs we have not played live in a very,very long time" hint is strong and something that Maiden loves to do. -- They have to meet the main expectation - Alexander Infinite Dreams! Because of the fans.

;)

Okay okay, these tours are definitely not comparable, as it's such a different situation altogether and Maiden started giving the history/album tour rotation bit of a shake in 2016 already, so... we'll see!

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of TRATB, but the instrumental section in the Live Chapter version is absolutely magical. You can literally HEAR how much fun the band are having.
TRATB has always had me torn. I won't say hate, but I'm not a fan of the verses whatsoever. Too high for Bruce to comfortably hit either live or in the studio, and that Steve tradition of having Bruce sing along to the guitar lines. Ugh. The chorus lifts it way up, though, and the instrumental is GODLY. It's long, but it goes through so many changes and every part is sheer effing magic.

TRATB has always had me torn. I won't say hate, but I'm not a fan of the verses whatsoever. Too high for Bruce to comfortably hit either live or in the studio, and that Steve tradition of having Bruce sing along to the guitar lines. Ugh. The chorus lifts it way up, though, and the instrumental is GODLY. It's long, but it goes through so many changes and every part is sheer effing magic.
Fully agreed. Not a fan of the verses, but the chorus is great and the instrumental section is bliss. Maybe it's time for Steve to write another instrumental :D

The first time I saw The Red and the Black live, at the Download festival in 2016, it went down like a fart in a two-man submarine. In 2017 it went down much better in 2017 (I saw the band in Liverpool and both London gigs).

That being said, it would have been much better as a 5 minute instrumental song.

I don't think they'd do it for this tour either, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is definitely a song that I could see being one of the teased "selling points" and "centerpieces" for the next tour, whatever that'll be. I mean, it's certainly a song that could still have one more run ahead of it. But we'll see, this was not too serious speculation anyway.
Yeah, maybe they'll save some of the deep cuts (like Rime) for the next tour. The focus of this tour are the Senjutsu & SIT songs, the rest of the songs could well be only the usual classics.
Okay okay, these tours are definitely not comparable, as it's such a different situation altogether and Maiden started giving the history/album tour rotation bit of a shake in 2016 already, so... we'll see!
Different situations indeed - tour plus other classics vs album. I think they didn't want to copy the 1988 setlist. And Maiden's setlists for the last 2 tours had surprises. But they should have played at least one of Infinite Dreams, Still Life or Killers, Heaven Can Wait. Trooper was in the place of Boots. The setlist wasn't that ''bold'', but the flow was great.

I was wondering, if they finally play Alexander, which other never played live songs are next on the fans list? Empire, Only The Good Die Young, Judas Be My Guide, Thin Line and something from Powerslave, I guess. Maybe Deja-Vu, Face In The Sand, Starblind?

From the rarely played live songs, it's easier:
Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Strange World, Murders, Killers, Prodigal Son, 22 Acacia Avenue, Still Life, To Tame A Land, Rime, Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness, Long Distance Runner, Stranger, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer, Be Quick, some Blaze era songs, Ghost, Brave New World, Fallen Angel, Silent Planet, Rainmaker, Dance Of Death, Paschendale, 1000 Suns, Longest Day, Benjamin Breeg, Lord Of Light, The Legacy...

Some of my favorite songs are among those never played live: Isle of Avalon, Starblind, Montsegur, and The Nomad would top the list.
But I'd also enjoy AtG, Deja Vu, Judgement of Heaven, Gates of Tomorrow, The Man Who Would be King, Shadows of the Valley. And that doesn't even include the rest of Senjutsu.

Come to think of it they could probably do a whole concert of great songs they've never played before.

Yeah, maybe they'll save some of the deep cuts (like Rime) for the next tour. The focus of this tour are the Senjutsu & SIT songs, the rest of the songs could well be only the usual classics.

Different situations indeed - tour plus other classics vs album. I think they didn't want to copy the 1988 setlist. And Maiden's setlists for the last 2 tours had surprises. But they should have played at least one of Infinite Dreams, Still Life or Killers, Heaven Can Wait. Trooper was in the place of Boots. The setlist wasn't that ''bold'', but the flow was great.

I was wondering, if they finally play Alexander, which other never played live songs are next on the fans list? Empire, Only The Good Die Young, Judas Be My Guide, Thin Line and something from Powerslave, I guess. Maybe Deja-Vu, Face In The Sand, Starblind?

From the rarely played live songs, it's easier:
Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Strange World, Murders, Killers, Prodigal Son, 22 Acacia Avenue, Still Life, To Tame A Land, Rime, Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness, Long Distance Runner, Stranger, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer, Be Quick, some Blaze era songs, Ghost, Brave New World, Fallen Angel, Silent Planet, Rainmaker, Dance Of Death, Paschendale, 1000 Suns, Longest Day, Benjamin Breeg, Lord Of Light, The Legacy...
Prodigal Son was never played live.

Full list of unplayed songs is here (need to scroll down a bit):

I believe that EOTC and FITS won't be played, ever. The former would require constant piano and synths, which is something that Maiden tries to avoid, the latter would require a double bass pedal, something Nicko hates.

If, and that's a big if , we'll ever get another "never before played live" song I'd say OTGDY, only because of the mention during the SSOASS twitter listening party.

The first time I saw The Red and the Black live, at the Download festival in 2016, it went down like a fart in a two-man submarine. In 2017 it went down much better in 2017 (I saw the band in Liverpool and both London gigs).

That being said, it would have been much better as a 5 minute instrumental song.
The 2016 set list is a weird one for me. Who in their right mind thought that the first 5 songs of the set would go down a storm with a festival crowd?

The 2016 set list is a weird one for me. Who in their right mind thought that the first 5 songs of the set would go down a storm with a festival crowd?
I think that year's setlist is one of their best, but two new ones into a rare but not so rare old song into two more new songs was a choice. Went down well at my show at least.
The only song on that list I can ever see getting played is Only the Good Die Young. There's a chance Deja Vu could get played this year, but I think the chances of that are quite slim.

LOTB 2022 was similar, although Blood Brothers is a popular song. But this is not unusual for Maiden - 2011, 2006, 1998. The 2016 setlist was great imo.
I believe that EOTC and FITS won't be played, ever. The former would require constant piano and synths, which is something that Maiden tries to avoid, the latter would require a double bass pedal, something Nicko hates.

If, and that's a big if , we'll ever get another "never before played live" song I'd say OTGDY, only because of the mention during the SSOASS twitter listening party.
I was rather thinking - which are the other never played live songs that are liked as much as Alexander.

what song is that from?

Mother Of Mercy:

Some say you are a lost cause, some say you're a saint
Just being here's and act of suffering and restraint
Walked down a long dark road to ruin and panic not
I'll die a lonely death, of that I'm certain of

Not sure what bothers me more, this or the "Now we need to know the truth now" in The Man Of Sorrows :D

I was rather thinking - which are the other never played live songs that are liked as much as Alexander.

Liked as much as Alexander? Don't think there are any. Empire is beloved, but I can't see Maiden ever performing that one live. Maybe Bruce solo, but not Maiden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back