The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta echo srfc's sentiments. I don't have a strong opinion about the setlist order, as long as there are new songs on there. One thing that Maiden does, that I appreciate a lot, is that album tours always start with a new song. As much as I love Blind Guardian, it often feels like the only opener they have is Into The Storm. Other bands keep reusing older songs as openers as well, which is kinda lame in my opinion.

Having said that, a bit of variety in the setlist order wouldn't hurt. Take a look at any second disc of any Maiden live album and the majority of tracks on there will be the same :D

Last edited:
I would have enjoyed the set if I saw them in 2016 (Went in 2017). In my opinion, I have never been sure of Maiden front loading set lists with new material even when they are playing to festivals. I would rather see them spread out new material and the ’classics’ out more I think it makes it more interesting. Last year at Donnington, I basically checked out after FOI. I hung around for The Clansman but the usual run of classics bored me.
The 2017 setlist was better structured for festivals and had a better flow. Playing so many new songs on album tours is one of the ''Maiden things'' I love, unlike many bands. And that's the right thig to do - otherwise, what's the point of making albums. I believe it's logical to start an album tour with 2 or 3 new songs in a row, regardless if it's an arena show or a festival. The classics that are played on every tour are usually saved for later in the set and that's guaranteed. Besides, we know that the quality of Maiden's new songs and stage shows is always great. About TBOS tour, what's not to like in the opening songs? A solo Bruce opener that is one of the most liked songs in the album, the lead single that is short and catchy, another short song that could have been a hit in the 80's and a long epic with a classic and golden Maiden instrumental section. Plus the two classic in between.

Last edited:
I would have enjoyed the set if I saw them in 2016 (Went in 2017). In my opinion, I have never been sure of Maiden front loading set lists with new material even when they are playing to festivals. I would rather see them spread out new material and the ’classics’ out more I think it makes it more interesting. Last year at Donnington, I basically checked out after FOI. I hung around for The Clansman but the usual run of classics bored me.

I think the setlist flowed much better in 2017.

In 2016 it was:

New song
New song
Classic
New song (mid-tempo)
New song (it went on forever)
Classic
Classic
New song
New song
Classic
Classic
Classic
-------------------------------------
Classic
Classic
Classic

The first half of the set went down like a lead balloon at Donington

In 2017 I think the flow was improved significantly by adding another classic early on (Wrathchild) and playing a fast new song (Death or Glory) before the one that went on forever.

Steve in an interveiw with Classic Rock Magazin:

Q: On the summer shows will you do a deep dive and revisit something like ''The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner''?

Steve: ''That's someting I would love to play. I'm not sure we will, we will have to get to rehearsals and see, but it's one I think we should do''.

This is a surprise. I thought this song had zero chance because it was played live only once and it has a very fast tempo. It's a specific live song.

Steve in an interveiw with Classic Rock Magazin:

Q: On the summer shows will you do a deep dive and revisit something like ''The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner''?

Steve: ''That's someting I would love to play. I'm not sure we will, we will have to get to rehearsals and see, but it's one I think we should do''.

This is a surprise. I thought this song had zero chance because it was played live only once and it has a very fast tempo. It's a specific live song.
Well, if they play Loneliness, I guess CSIT is out.

WY, HCW, Loneliness, Stranger and Alexander would be quite a surprise.

However, again, pretty tough song for ol' Nick, but easier than CSIT. I guess the tempo would drop from original 188 to something like 175 BPM.

Alex also seems more and more likely. Watched some clips from Bruce's shows and from his tone and mimics when asked about Alex, it seems to me that it will be at least attempted during rehearsals.

What do you think btw - shouldn't we get a lot of nice merch this year? First of all the upcoming tour, also there is the 40 year anniversary of the Piece Of Mind album... I'm really excited about the shirts they come up with. Should be about time soon.

It would please Paula Radcliffe as well.

(When I saw this live at the time, I let out such a yelp of joy!)
Damn, now I need Maiden to write a song about programming, so that I can have a song to listen to while working as well :D
Hadn't seen the clip before, that's awesome!

What do you think btw - shouldn't we get a lot of nice merch this year? First of all the upcoming tour, also there is the 40 year anniversary of the Piece Of Mind album... I'm really excited about the shirts they come up with. Should be about time soon.
The designs are probably going to be fantastic. I hope the production quality of the shirts will be good enough as well.

Last edited:
No problem at all.

Btw, if you are spending a day in the mountains, you should also spend a day at the sea side. Bus from Ljubljana to city of Koper takes approx 1 hour and is dirt cheap at the weekends (2 euros).
Definitely, my plan was to head to Piran on one of the days. It looks like Koper is a bit closer to Ljubljana, and a bit larger. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Definitely, my plan was to head to Piran on one of the days. It looks like Koper is a bit closer to Ljubljana, and a bit larger. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?
Koper has good bus connection and you need to go there anyway. Then there is a local bus to Piran.

I'd plan a 1 day trip and spend some time in both. Maybe Portorož too as it's next to Piran. Piran is a bit nicer than Koper tho (especially for tourists).

Well, if they play Loneliness, I guess CSIT is out.

WY, HCW, Loneliness, Stranger and Alexander would be quite a surprise.

However, again, pretty tough song for ol' Nick, but easier than CSIT. I guess the tempo would drop from original 188 to something like 175 BPM.

Alex also seems more and more likely. Watched some clips from Bruce's shows and from his tone and mimics when asked about Alex, it seems to me that it will be at least attempted during rehearsals.
I still think they would prefer and want to play CSIT. Sea Of Madness is also an easier song than Long Distance Runner, especially for Bruce. I hope it's not completely off the table. Some of Nicko's best and hardest work is on this album. And Bruce's too imo. It seems the 5th SIT song will be either the title track or Sea or Runner. Or maybe they'll skip HCW and play two more deep cuts?

ATG with 3 guitarists during rehearsals should not be a problem, and the main hype for the tour is based on it.

Btw, Steve wants to play Long Distance Runner and Only The Good Die Young live - it's time for a Deep Cuts tour, Steve! :innocent:

I was looking at the picture Maiden posted on their Facebook page regarding the new collection of Royal Mail stamps. And I wondered, will they use one of the stamps background as a stage set big background cover (on the picture circled with red). It seems similar to the one they used on Book Of Souls tour for Wasted Years, but now with addion of samurai Eddie. So what do you think, will we see this artwork during the upcoming tour and if we do, then what song. Mu guess is, that this artwork will appear for Wasted Years or for the final song of the set (which can be one and the same).

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_181038.jpg
    IMG_20230202_181038.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 32
I was looking at the picture Maiden posted on their Facebook page regarding the new collection of Royal Mail stamps. And I wondered, will they use one of the stamps background as a stage set big background cover (on the picture circled with red). It seems similar to the one they used on Book Of Souls tour for Wasted Years, but now with addion of samurai Eddie. So what do you think, will we see this artwork during the upcoming tour and if we do, then what song. Mu guess is, that this artwork will appear for Wasted Years or for the final song of the set (which can be one and the same).
I doubt they'll use the same backdrop for Wasted Years (from TBOS tour), even if it is the last song in the set again. The backdrop for the last song in the set should the tour poster. They probably added Senjutsu Eddie because it's their latest album. The original image was also without Book Of Souls Eddie, if I'm not mistaken. This backdrop is a variation of the Best Of The Beast cover.

It looked great live. That ending to Adrian's solo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back