The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like this tour's logo.
It's great! Half Senjutsu-half SIT font. :clap:
TFP.jpg
and that section is probably why it never made the album
You could be right. I think they wanted a fast rocker before the last mid-tempo epic (like the did for POM and SIT albums).
My comment was in the greater context of folks saying "they won't play HCW because they can't get people on the stage"...
They've never played the song live without fans/people form the crew during the middle part though.
Heaven Can Wait and No More Lies were the two most boring songs they ever played live.
I think both songs are much better live than their studio versions, especially the former. No wonder why Heaven Can Wait was a live favorite.
Absolutely agree, TOC is one of the most boring Maiden tracks ever and they decided to pay it live.
Tears Of A Clown is not a good live song. Nicko wanted to play it and it's Bruce's favorite song from the album. They should have played Shadows Of The Valley or When The River Runs Deep instead - two great live songs.

I think you misunderstood my point a bit, or I could've been clearer with my wording. Gimmick can certainly have a negative connotation, but I wasn't using it like that. I was making no value judgement on this. Personally, I love that part a lot and I'm ambivalent about additional people being on stage or not. It doesn't make or break the song. It's nice to have, but not necessary. That's what I meant with gimmick.

What I wanted to get across is that the song still works live without additional folks on stage, it doesn't require them. They can invite the crew and quests, or they can decide against that, but this has no bearing on the probability of the song being played live. My comment was in the greater context of folks saying "they won't play HCW because they can't get people on the stage" and my comment was meant to say that these two things are entirely different.

Hope that clears it up :)
In fairness, anyone reading your comment about the killer krew and family participating in a singalong on Heaven Can Wait being a gimmick would take it negatively.
But now that you’ve explained more clearly what you were saying, I do understand what you mean.

You’re right, the band didn’t have to bring anyone on stage, but it definitely added to the spectacle. I remember seeing a couple of lucky fans being invited onstage, because they’d won a competition, or something like that, and then to see the sheer delight on their faces. It really was great to see and be a part of as a member of the audience. It’s the way Iron Maiden are.

One of the main reasons for Heaven Can Wait being dropped from the setlist, was because of an online poll around 20 years ago. The poll suggested that the song wasn’t very popular and Steve Harris took it personally - even though at that time, online fans only made up a very small percentage of Maiden fans.

In the grand scheme of things, songs like Heaven Can Wait and Fear of the Dark, aren’t great songs, like Beast, Hallowed, Mariner etc. but they are great live songs because of audience participation.

It’s one of the greatest experiences a Maiden fan can have when you’re standing next to your mates, or even complete strangers, all singing in unison woah oh oh, woah oh oh OOHHH woah oh oh!! It’s brilliant

One of the main reasons for Heaven Can Wait being dropped from the setlist, was because of an online poll around 20 years ago. The poll suggested that the song wasn’t very popular and Steve Harris took it personally - even though at that time, online fans only made up a very small percentage of Maiden fans.

In the grand scheme of things, songs like Heaven Can Wait and Fear of the Dark, aren’t great songs, like Beast, Hallowed, Mariner etc. but they are great live songs because of audience participation.
You're talking about the Ed Hunter compilation, right? Songs like Rime, Alexander and Seventh Son were also not part of the final list!

I agree about the audience participation factor, but I think Fear Of The Dark and Heaven Can Wait are better live songs than The Number Of The Beast.

Brave New World is a very possible deep cut for this tour - not only because of the theme of it, but also because it is one of the so called ''live favorites'' from the Reunion era. It could be played as an encore opener (like Blood Brothers). I think they wanted to play it during TBOS tour.

It would be funny to play it in a set with Stranger In A Strange Land:

SIASL: ''No brave new world, no brave new world''
BNW: ''A brave new world, in a brave new world''

:p

Brave New World is a very possible deep cut for this tour - not only because of the theme of it, but also because it is one of the so called ''live favorites'' from the Reunion era. It could be played as an encore opener (like Blood Brothers). I think they wanted to play it during TBOS tour.

It would be funny to play it in a set with Stranger In A Strange Land:

SIASL: ''No brave new world, no brave new world''
BNW: ''A brave new world, in a brave new world''

:p
They should play both songs back to back and then follow up with Deja Vu.

In fairness, anyone reading your comment about the killer krew and family participating in a singalong on Heaven Can Wait being a gimmick would take it negatively.

Yeah, in hindsight I can see that my wording was poor, this wasn't my intention.

Heaven Can Wait and No More Lies were the two most boring songs they ever played live.

Damn, I couldn't disagree more, especially about No More Lies lol
Sure, the chorus is stupidly repetitive and simple. Especially on the album, where there are no variations to be found. In concerts it gives Bruce the chance to try different variations and get some more audience participation. The main melody lets the audience sing along with the guitars multiple times throughout the song. In my opinion one of the best Harris epics since the reunion.

It’s one of the greatest experiences a Maiden fan can have when you’re standing next to your mates, or even complete strangers, all singing in unison woah oh oh, woah oh oh OOHHH woah oh oh!! It’s brilliant

Adrian's guitar licks throughout that section are phenomenal as well. That whole part builds an amazing atmosphere.

Brave New World is a very possible deep cut for this tour - not only because of the theme of it, but also because it is one of the so called ''live favorites'' from the Reunion era.

Not sure if they'd consider it, but I'd love to hear it live again.

Last edited:
So, I think there'll be a North America addition to be announced later on and the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour will be over for good. Eastern Europe won't receive concerts very likely due to the uncertainties of the war, South America and the Balkans will get a token Bruce concert playing Deep Purple (that I'll definitely buy the tickets. Bruce singing DP is always amazing and the ticket price is quite decent) and that's it.

Now I believe there'll be a 2nd leg 2024. Asia, South America, a quick round around Europe and the US because god forbid there's a tour somewhere in the world that does not play in the US.

So, I think there'll be a North America addition to be announced later on and the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour will be over for good. Eastern Europe won't receive concerts very likely due to the uncertainties of the war, South America and the Balkans will get a token Bruce concert playing Deep Purple (that I'll definitely buy the tickets. Bruce singing DP is always amazing and the ticket price is quite decent) and that's it.

Now I believe there'll be a 2nd leg 2024. Asia, South America, a quick round around Europe and the US because god forbid there's a tour somewhere in the world that does not play in the US.
Only Europe in 2023. North and South America in 2024. Maybe Australia and Asia? Unless they go for something similar they planned in 2020 for 2025.

Absolutely agree, TOC is one of the most boring Maiden tracks ever and they decided to pay it live.
I'll take your ToC as a boring live track and raise you a title track for Senjutsu.

As for BNW coming back...I'm not a fan of the studio version much. The blah chorus kills it, but you can tell it was written for the live setting since the crowd interaction on it makes it work 1,000% better live.

Eastern Europe could very well get shows in 2024.

so ... is Heaven Can Wait one of those "Concert Wonders" type of songs?

You know, the kinds of songs that really don't come over very well on live albums, but when you're right there in the heat of the crowd and singing along and listening for great guitar, bass, and drum lines to groove along to, it just WORKS?

Because from what I'm reading here, it really does appear that HCW is a "you have to be there" kind of songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back