The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a bit suspicious
Not really.
Total Eclipse was meant to be in the album in 1982 – and apparently it was, in this Japan release. They excluded it and immediately regretted, and for this reason they played it during the tour. I think the inclusion in the 40th anniversary edition is an inside joke.

Following the more or less same logic, they should've played Gangland some years ago.

By the way, they're not playing it because Bruce can't sing it anymore, simple as that.

If they wanted to play it. This year leg of LOTB was perfect opportunity for this or any other deep cut from NOTB.
I'm not sure if it would fit into any of the ''worlds''. They did it with Blood Brothers (we know why). They could have played songs like The Clairvoyant and Afraid To Shoot Strangers though.
Let them just play Blaze era songs only because Bruce can't sing any high notes anymore.
He can, but why make the shows even more demanding by playing an obscure song with difficult high vocals. And here we are talking about some of the most challenging lines he has ever sung; they are ridiculously high. It was difficult for him even in 1982.
At best, Total Eclipse is a so so song. I hope they will not play it on the upcoming tour.
The chorus could have been better, the weakest part of the song imo. One of Maiden's best riffs for me (Dave!) and a wild solo by Dave. The vibe of the song is unmistakable TNOTB! I agree with your second sentence.
Not really.
Total Eclipse was meant to be in the album in 1982 – and apparently it was, in this Japan release. They excluded it and immediately regretted, and for this reason they played it during the tour. I think the inclusion in the 40th anniversary edition is an inside joke.
True. I'm more puzzled about the new artwork and official video for it.

Last edited:
I'm sure he can, but why make the shows even more demanding by playing an obscure song with difficult high vocals.

No disrespect to Bruce, but I'm confident that it's impossible to sing for him nowadays. The final parts are some of the most challenging lines he's ever sung and they were hard when he was in his prime. Nowadays? No chance in hell to make it sound even remotely musical.
And that's not Bruce's fault in any way. The original vocal lines were beyond ridiculous in the first place.

anyone knows if this is a solo gig or his book tour?

It is reported in several sources that Bruce will talk.

My translation:
"Singer Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) has been confirmed by Summer Breeze Open Air Brasil as one of the attractions of the first Brazilian edition of the German festival, which will take place 29-30 April 2023 at the Memorial da América Latina in São Paulo.

Dickinson will speak exclusively to Summer Lounge guests on the Waves Stage, discussing his career and entrepreneurship.
Unlike what's happening in Germany, we thought we'd bring a mix of aspects of rock music to Brazil. This is just a foretaste of what is coming next year, we still have to announce some bands from the lineup, including headliners, lectures and other exclusive and original content…”

I thought about something - we're lucky (in a way) that Maiden never properly filmed the 1986 tour because probably we wouldn't have heard many different SIT songs after 1986 (only Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait) and we wouldn't have gotten this hybrid tour.
It's not fair to the Senjutsu album because they've had many chances to play songs from SIT again over the years and because maybe they won't play Senjutsu/Stratego, but if they play a certain song from it, it's all worth it! Plus the new stage set will probably one of the band's all time best. At least we saw what the Senjutsu stage would look like.

I really hope they will release an official concert video from LOTB 2018 (plus official footage of the 3 new songs with the Senjutsu stage as a bonus) or from this year's leg of the tour - we should have official concert vidoes from the last 3 amazing tours (we have for TBOS and I'm sure we'll get for TFP).

I find it interesting that folks keep bringing up Heaven Can Wait and the fact that it's not a good idea to invite more people to the stage and thus making it unlikely for HCW to be played. It's not a necessity for the song to have dozens of people on the stage, it's a gimmick. It would be perfectly fine if they simply played the song like any other, without the additional people. Audience participation doesn't require a stage, we should know that since that's the way it works for literally every other Maiden song ;)
It’s usually members of the killer krew, management, family and special guests who go on stage to sing the woah whoah bit. It’s definitely no gimmick.

Heaven Can Wait is a brilliant song when played live.

I’ll never forget being part of the audience that sang along to the woah woah bit at Donington 88. Seeing the killer krew and family singing along too, it was hailed by everyone who was there as a magical Maiden moment.

Gimmick?? Yeah ok

It’s usually members of the killer krew, management, family and special guests who go on stage to sing the woah whoah bit. It’s definitely no gimmick.

I’ll never forget being part of the audience that sang along to the woah woah bit at Donington 88. Seeing the killer krew and family singing along too, it was hailed by everyone who was there as a magical Maiden moment.

Gimmick?? Yeah ok

It's a Maiden classic moment that has sadly been confined to history for most of the last 20 years.

Gimmick?? Yeah ok

I think you misunderstood my point a bit, or I could've been clearer with my wording. Gimmick can certainly have a negative connotation, but I wasn't using it like that. I was making no value judgement on this. Personally, I love that part a lot and I'm ambivalent about additional people being on stage or not. It doesn't make or break the song. It's nice to have, but not necessary. That's what I meant with gimmick.

What I wanted to get across is that the song still works live without additional folks on stage, it doesn't require them. They can invite the crew and guests, or they can decide against that, but this has no bearing on the probability of the song being played live. My comment was in the greater context of folks saying "they won't play HCW because they can't get people on the stage" and my comment was meant to say that these two things are entirely different.

Hope that clears it up :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back