The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the Maiden show in 2003 in Paris, "Lord Of The Flies" was a very surprising choice for me as this song don't really fitted to the setlist. Because Death On The Road was oriented on a death theme, I thought it would have been more convenient for the band to play a track like "The Aftermath", "The Edge Of Darkness", "Blood On The World's Hands" or "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" along with "Dance Of Death" or "Paschendale". But, the guys chose to perform "Lord Of The Flies". It was a cool song to experiment in a live situation, the chorus is great and Bruce fitted perfectly on that song. Nevertheless, "Lord Of The Flies" was indeed a surprise for me. That being said, I always considered this song as a mistake on 'Death On The Road' CD/DVD. And I wonder why the band didn't choose a song among the ones I've quoted above. After all, "The Aftermath" and "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" are the "Paschendale" ancesters and would have been more judicious in the setlist.

About "Futureal", it would be less surprising, as this song fits very well to the Time theme. But, it would be a very bad choice for a SIT/Senjutsu tour as this track is not as chiseled as the SIT or Senjutsu songs.
I’d say it fits with the death theme, since the book that the song is based on deals with death, bloodlust, and savagery. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. It’s a really great read.

Agree 100%. If Bruce did sing on 'The X Factor', the commercial success would have been as good as with 'Brave New World'. The production of 'The X Factor' is not as powerful as Martin Birch's one, but it fits perfectly to the atmosphere of the songs.
I disagree, BNW’s success was mainly due to the return of Bruce and Adrain. It’s a solid album, but if it wasn’t for the reunion it probably would have been less popular. I’m pretty sure Blaze also co-wrote a song or two on BNW, though he isn’t credited. (The Talking Maiden Podcast discuses this in either their VXI or BNW episodes)

Also several songs, including Man on the Edge, would have been very different or not even present on The X Factor. I think the main problem with the album is that the band had too many ideas that couldn’t fit on one album with 3 songs being released exclusively as b-sides. Much like Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI, they had a lot of ideas, but didn’t really refine all of them. I don’t think Bruce would have made much of a difference in regards to the quality of the album.

In my opinion, The X Factor is the strongest of Maiden’s 90’s albums, but that’s clearly up for debate since it does have several flaws. I totally understand why many fans don’t like it.

Because then Bruce wouldn't struggle as much as he would if they played it normally and the show would be much more interesting seeing him perform all songs on an equal level instead of struggling his way through it all or through the intro (assuming CSiT is going to be the intro that is).

And have you listened to the videos I posted in an earlier post? CSiT in Eb tuning or even D tuning does not sound bad at all (maybe that's subjective of course) But I think it would be perfect if they downtuned and adjusted the song to match Bruce's current vocals instead of overperforming and having the same issue they had with Aces High in 2022.

The videos sounded weird to me. Bruce might struggle less, but the songs would sound different (and not more interesting, as far as I am concerned).

LOL

People pretending that it's Bruce's voice they are worried about, Nah, you just want downtuned because DOWNTUNED! IS TEH HEAVIEST!!!11

Here's a news flash, Trumpets of Jericho is downtuned to A and Bruce still uses the air raid siren in it.

I want Maiden to sound like Maiden not Korn.
Do you people ever get tired of this nonsense? The poster was talking about a half-step. You make it sound like the suggestion is they should play songs in C standard or something. In fact, I'll say it outright: 95% of the audience wouldn't even notice it (other than, in this particular case, Bruce physically maybe being able to hit the notes in the song) and all these insane "go listen to Korn!!1" arguments just reveal you have no clue what you're talking about or have no actual arguments other than "I don't like the idea."

Just saying, I saw Kiss on consecutive tours - the first one they played in their normal Eb tuning and the second tuned down to D to help Paul Stanley's voice. The songs sounded like they were being dragged through the mud on the second tour (and it didn't help Paul either, for that matter.)

no actual arguments other than "I don't like the idea."

I don't have any arguments other than that.

I'm some guy on the internet, why the fuck would I have an argument with anymore substance than that? I'm not Steve Harris.

As to having a clue about tuning down a half step, I know a bit about it, I played in a band for 10 years that tuned down a half step, a lot of bands that I like tune down a half step, Thin Lizzy, Guns N Roses, Slayer. You're right it might not be the end of the world if they were to tune down a half step, if they did actually do it I'd certainly be willing to see what it sounds like before casting judgement.

But let's stop pretending it's anything to do with Bruce's voice.

I don’t really like the sound of those downtuned versions.

I have mixed feelings on it. I think it would be better for Bruce’s voice maybe but the way Maiden songs are written he’s going to strain no matter what (songs that are already in D include Writing on the Wall, The Talisman, If Eternity Should Fail and he already struggles on those sometimes). I find that sometimes going too low with tunings just sucks the life out of songs, I’ve noticed this with Kiss and Judas Priest when they downtune.

I don’t really see what would be interesting about it. 99% of the audience isn’t going to notice if they do it.
AC/DC songs have worked well with Eb tuning.

I’d say it fits with the death theme,since the book that the song is based on deals with death
Yep, they like to add songs that fit the theme of the tour. That's why I think Futureal has a good chance, especially with the possible hint in the tour poster.
I disagree, BNW’s success was mainly due to the return of Bruce and Adrain. It’s a solid album, but if it wasn’t for the reunion it probably would have been less popular. I’m pretty sure Blaze also co-wrote a song or two on BNW, though he isn’t credited. (The Talking Maiden Podcast discuses this in either their VXI or BNW episodes)

Also several songs, including Man on the Edge, would have been very different or not even present on The X Factor. I think the main problem with the album is that the band had too many ideas that couldn’t fit on one album with 3 songs being released exclusively as b-sides. Much like Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI, they had a lot of ideas, but didn’t really refine all of them. I don’t think Bruce would have made much of a difference in regards to the quality of the album.

In my opinion, The X Factor is the strongest of Maiden’s 90’s albums, but that’s clearly up for debate since it does have several flaws. I totally understand why many fans don’t like it.
The success of BNW was due to the return of Bruce and Adrian AND because all songs are great.

Some of the songs in TXF would be great with Bruce (SOTC, LOTF, MOTE, BOTWH, TEOD and maybe 2AM), but the album still would not have been a big success for the band because the direction of the songs is not 100% classic Maiden. Plus Blaze's voice is the most important part for the album. I wouldn't say that the album has several flaws, maybe some. The amount of songs is not a problem, unlike the FOTD album imo.
I want Maiden to sound like Maiden
I agree on a 110%. Bruce is still in top form.

In what way would downtuning make the show more interesting? :confused:
Lower tunings aren't more interesting by themselves. They're more interesting since Maiden have never done so in their entire career. We've never heard a song played in a different key to the one recorded for the album (as far as I know at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back