The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bikes from the LotB background don't really fit the Future Past theme (come to think of it, they didn't really fit the LotB theme either...) so I hope they will use something else. At least, if they are playing WOTW that is.
Personally I think some people are looking a bit too hard into the "theme" thing. I see some saying any song with lyrics mentioning time is now a likely candidate for the setlist. For example I don't think Futureal is very likely to appear, much as I would like it to.

Though I think the Belshazzars Feast tower could make a cool backdrop, especially if they tweaked it with some lights or SiT styling.
Certainly would be better than the biker backdrop imo.

I'd actually rather get 5 from Virtual than SIT...Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide, Lightning, Clansman, Como.
It's criminal that the only song not played live from Virtual is Como Estais Amigos, my favourite Maiden song from the catalogue.
And bring Blaze back to sing 'em ... ;)

I went to a gig of his back in 2019. I never thought that I'd ever go to a gig where the highest energy in the crowd and jumping came from The Angel and the Gambler. I will cherish that memory for the rest of my life.

I love the second life that he’s given that much maligned song. It was always a good song, just weighed down with repetition. Blaze has made it a real party song

I disagree regarding the song Senjutsu, though I can see why it feels the way it does. Senjutsu is a mid paced song, but it's just so damn heavy/groovy and Bruce sounds incredibly serious throughout. It's quite possibly my favorite opener among all six reunion albums.
I can see where you’re coming from. I think when I first listened to it I was just waiting for it to pick up, for something to happen, like it does in If Eternity Should Fail. When it stayed the same throughout and just ended I was disappointed.
I'd actually rather get 5 from Virtual than SIT...Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide, Lightning, Clansman, Como.
It's criminal that the only song not played live from Virtual is Como Estais Amigos, my favourite Maiden song from the catalogue.
I think Virtual XI is criminally underrated and overlooked. It’s a very melodic album. I love The Angel and the Gambler, Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, Educated Fool, Como Estáis Amigos. I actually rated all the Maiden songs and averaged the score for each album and Virtual XI ended up as number 7.

That being said, Somewhere in Time is my favorite and I just hope this tour comes to North America soon!

Personally I think some people are looking a bit too hard into the "theme" thing. I see some saying any song with lyrics mentioning time is now a likely candidate for the setlist. For example I don't think Futureal is very likely to appear, much as I would like it to.

Though I think the Belshazzars Feast tower could make a cool backdrop, especially if they tweaked it with some lights or SiT styling.

Re: theme, I'd put money that with them hinting at 5+5 then you can be sure any other tracks are going to be regular standards, there's just not a lot of room left after 10 tracks for them to be quirky with the other choices.

RE: stage set, the suggestion someone had of a futuristic Tokyo style set is a brilliant idea, if they don't do that then your idea of Belshazzars feast ties the two albums in nicely too.

As someone said before, I think they could and will pull off CSIT. I think if Nicko played the kick pattern a little easier, with mostly single kicks with some doubles thrown in, at a similar tempo to the original, then it will still be great.

And Bruce is still an amazing singer.

Have faith people.
100%. Nicko can still pull off Trooper an TETMD, which are both a similar tempo and kick drum part. Yes, CSIT is slightly longer and slightly busier drum wise, but he's been simplifying his parts on the other two songs for years to give them more punch. He can absolutely do CSIT justice in 2023 and will probably make it sound even better in a live setting!

Interesting thing about CSIT is that, due to the album’s production, the kick drum is noticeable but not super in-your-face. So if Nicko does simplify that beat but otherwise keep the tempo live, you likely won’t even notice it. Not unless you’re really listening just for that. There’s enough shit going on in that song sonically that it’s still have the same “feel” as it does on the album.

Also, if they come out all-guns-blazing right into that song and then follow up with a slower track like WotW, it’ll allow them to keep pace, hold the race, and play through the rest of the songs just fine. As if you’re in a dream.

I like the song but do not think is the right one to open the show.
I think it's an atmospheric opener despite the slow tempo of the song.
So the trailer says Samurai 5 Cyborg 5 but it doesn't clarify which cyborg
View attachment 22932
This is probably the strangest decision in the band's history! I still can't understand why they used Eddie from a previous album for a single from another album... :huh: And they have Derek's great artwork for the song.
The interesting thing to me is that they are using SIASL on all promo and it seems like they are avoiding the words Somewhere In Time.

So, just don't be dissappointed if they don't play it.

I think ATG is more likely than CSIT at this point which is very strange to say.
For sure.

We know that Maiden like to put ''theme songs'' in a tour set, like Powerslave during TBOS tour, for example.

I agree that the tower would be a great backdrop for TWOTW (plus the riders in front of it), but I wouldn't say better. The two riders backdrop for this year was made that way because of the middle Pagoda, I think. They should be included imo.
I think Virtual XI is criminally underrated and overlooked. It’s a very melodic album. I love The Angel and the Gambler, Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, Educated Fool, Como Estáis Amigos. I actually rated all the Maiden songs and averaged the score for each album and Virtual XI ended up as number 7.
Thank you! :ok:
Re: theme, I'd put money that with them hinting at 5+5 then you can be sure any other tracks are going to be regular standards, there's just not a lot of room left after 10 tracks for them to be quirky with the other choices.
^ Like AMOLAD 2006 tour. Trooper and TNOTB were not played back then, so a surprise is possible again.
Straight into Wasted Years or Stranger would be great as well, since they're both mid-tempo
CSIT into Wasted Years would be perfect (like is on the album) or into 2MTM or DOFP (song that starts with a bang). If DOFP is the opener, then Wasted Years is also perfect as a second song. SIASL will be played in the middle of the set, I guess.

Two Krakow dates is unusual, so that's why I think Krakow will mark the beginning of the tour and there won't be earlier dates than Krakow June 13.
Makes sense to me. Building the stage up for the first time and using the first two shows to really get into the new thing themselves.

The interesting thing to me is that they are using SIASL on all promo and it seems like they are avoiding the words Somewhere In Time.

So, just don't be dissappointed if they don't play it.

I think ATG is more likely than CSIT at this point which is very strange to say.
Ah, but consider Bruce's "see you somewhere in time" hints. I agree in principle that CSIT is unlikely and wouldn't really work but it's also not an impossibility due to various small little things working in its favor. Not least of which the simple fact that the only other realistic choice for a fifth SiT track is Sea of Madness, which isn't exactly an easy number either, got dropped midway through the tour and definitely doesn't have the same memetic potential with Bruce's funny jacket and trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back