The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something old ? Something new ? Something from Bruce's Jurassic businessman period ? The Trooper Beer from Wrathchild Dickinson !!!! :D

Saw Iron Maiden in Vancouver, couple thoughts:

- Iron Maiden continues to be the greatest metal band of them all. I’m always thrilled to catch them live.

- Bruce sounded fantastic. His voice sounded worn by The Trooper, but he was hitting all the notes for the most part and I would say improved on some of his studio performances with the Senjutsu songs (particularly Hell On Earth).

- Nicko sounded good although he had a couple rough moments. I hadn’t been following the live videos so I didn’t know how much he had changed with CSIT but it was a notable difference. In general the simplified fills and kick parts did stick out to me. I would be lying if I said I didn’t leave questioning whether Nicko has another tour in him. Still, I have major respect for him pulling off the shows this year all things considered.

- Am I the only one who feels like this is a pretty bare bones stage show compared to what we’ve seen in recent years? It’s really no comparison to the original Somewhere in Time tour and honestly seems like it was put together at the last minute. It’s one of the major factors that makes me think the idea for this tour came at the last minute. The lights and screens were cool though.

- Setlist was insane. Even though I knew in advance what they were playing, I was regularly in disbelief that certain songs were happening. What an amazing time to be a fan.

Am I the only one who feels like this is a pretty bare bones stage show compared to what we’ve seen in recent years? It’s really no comparison to the original Somewhere in Time tour and honestly seems like it was put together at the last minute. It’s one of the major factors that makes me think the idea for this tour came at the last minute. The lights and screens were cool though.
No, I had this discussion after the Ljubljana show. Very little is going on and it feels like a low budget show.

I think I've said this before. I feel maybe after the extravagant LOTB show they went for a more streamlined look. I think it fits with the futuristic/sci-fi theme. The lights and screens were cool new elements.

I have stated this before...

I think Senjutsu tour became The Future Past very late for Maiden standards (according to some reports, during the US LOTB '22), because the band wanted to switch the Senjutsu songs and ATG/SIASL were high on the band's wishlist (Nicko wanted to play both pretty badly, H and Bruce also wanted to do SIASL...). This is possibly the reason why there is no extensive production on the LOTB scale. 8 months is not a lot of time.

I think the stage show and production for the Future Past Tour were excellent. You got 3 Eddies, a sci-fi gun fight, and for the first time ever video screens which were used for very cool effects, like showing the videos for The Writing on the Wall and Can I Play with Madness. You also got for the first time a Fear of the Dark backdrop.

They did tone down some of the theatricality from the Legacy of the Beast tours - fewer costumes and props. I think that's a good thing. I liked the production of the current tour. But it's all a matter of opinion.

Am I the only one who feels like this is a pretty bare bones stage show compared to what we’ve seen in recent years? It’s really no comparison to the original Somewhere in Time tour and honestly seems like it was put together at the last minute. It’s one of the major factors that makes me think the idea for this tour came at the last minute. The lights and screens were cool though.
I think the stage show is great (screens and lights add a lot to that) and Maiden definitely had previous stage shows with more ''bare'' decors (early 2000's). The theatrics were exclusive for the Legacy tour imo.
I think I've said this before. I feel maybe after the extravagant LOTB show they went for a more streamlined look. I think it fits with the futuristic/sci-fi theme. The lights and screens were cool new elements.
This is possibly the reason why there is no extensive production on the LOTB scale. 8 months is not a lot of time.
This.

I think the stage show and production for the Future Past Tour were excellent. You got 3 Eddies, a sci-fi gun fight, and for the first time ever video screens which were used for very cool effects, like showing the videos for The Writing on the Wall and Can I Play with Madness. You also got for the first time a Fear of the Dark backdrop.

They did tone down some of the theatricality from the Legacy of the Beast tours - fewer costumes and props. I think that's a good thing. I liked the production of the current tour. But it's all a matter of opinion.
I think toning the stage show has helped Bruce as well. He looked knackered on the 2022 LOTB tour. He is looking fitter and happier on this tour. Plus he is singing better. Part of this surely has to be down to the lack of costume changes.

Yeah, it's definitely a much simpler stage show than in 2019-2022, and simpler than TBOS as well. I agree they've used the screens to close some of the gap, and I enjoyed the light show from the LED strips on the rig above the stage quite a lot. I was thinking as they played the Blade Runner theme how nicely they used the effects to draw your eyes up as they pulled the tarps off the stage, so you don't really notice.

Compared to the original Somehwere On Tour shows back in 1986 the lightning rig looks quite lame on the current tour.
This one is a joke. It also lacks the lights featuring the guitarist when he's making a guitar solo for example. or focus on the singer or drummer when it deserves. You can see better lightning rig and design in music live shows for tv 40 years ago. The original lightning rig was not too complicated but Dave Lights knew how to mix colors and make brilliant effects with the bulbs, inflatables and pyro which I think it's another joke during hell on earth. Just absurd.

A band that makes a ton of money but don't spend too much in this. Shame.
Legacy of the Beast was better. but it featured 2 great inflatables and a plane but the rest is the same.

It’s not meant as a complaint, I just think it’s weird that the press release makes it sound like revisiting the stage show was important to them but what I saw last night wasn’t really similar at all. It also just wasn’t comparable in terms of spectacle and felt like one of the smaller scale Maiden shows I have seen (I am having to dig back to at least 2005 to find anything close).

I don’t mind it though and like others have said it sounds like the focus is more on performing than theatrics and that feels needed. They sounded way better last night than last year when I saw them on LOTB.

I agree, after seeing the show last night, the stage set was a downgrade from LOTB, but it was still a good show. I am not sure I really liked the small video boards on the side of the backdrops, it diminished the backdrops and oddly did not always line up with the backdrops. It was cool hearing several songs I have never heard live from the new album and SiT plus some songs that had not been played in decades again. It was fun as always ... I'm happy and will go see it again next year when they tour the US. Added bonus, my wife and I spent a really nice week in Vancouver, I flew on a seaplane for the first time, really nice city (which always boggles my mind how Canucks fans can be such assholes living in such a nice place) ... I was here once before when the USD and CAD were essentially par, much nicer exchange rate (at least for me) this time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back