The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my ticket for Birmingham. It hurt a lot to pay £85 for a standing ticket, but I guess that's just the way tickets are now. But I wasn't missing this tour for love nor money.

I might end up doing another date, maybe Nottingham or Manchester if budget allows.

I think that many people don't give Bruce and Nicko enough credit. If they can perform Aces High they can definitely perform CsiT. It can be slowed down a bit, you won't notice it live.
If Nicko had to make adjustments to the kick pattern on Stratego, he can just do the same for CSiT. For Bruce, it's better to get the more strenuous songs out of the way early.

Is Senjutsu all that atypical though? It’s mid-tempo like If Eternity and Final Frontier before it. It has that buildup from the Taiko drums into the opening riff. It’s the album opener as most Maiden show openers are. I actually don’t know why it doesn’t work because I love it on the album (it’s like my third favourite off the first disc after Writing and DoFP), but it just bombs live.
"Senjutsu" itself is all buildup and no take-off. It stays as this plodding, 8-minute mid-paced monstrosity all the way through and never goes beyond that, and doesn't vary much sonically the way "Eternity" and "TFF" do. I imagine that's why they shoved the samurai Eddie out there during it, because there isn't a lot of excitement in the song otherwise, especially as an opener that's typically supposed to get the adrenaline going.

I really wish they would've done what Nightwish did on their last tour with their album opener, "Music." Take off "Doctor, Doctor" as the pre-show song, plug in the studio version of "Senjutsu" (or a five minute edit of it), and blast off into "Stratego," but that's just me. A lot of people seem to like the title track...it just has never done much of anything for me.

Why not wait and see? If Maiden decided that a tour honoring Somewhere in Time is the way to go in 2023, it probably means that they feel confident enough to pull off some of those challenging songs live. Stratego and Where Eagles Dare are also challenging songs and I thought Bruce and Nicko sounded great on those during the last tour.

I have a hard time imagining them skipping Caught Somewhere In Time. In fact, if the stage set is based on the Somewhere on Tour design, I expect them to do the Blade Runner intro with all the lights as well and go right into CSIT as an opener. :edmetal:

I'm split on this. CSIT has potential to be a blistering and enormously popular opener, but as pointed out by quite a few people, it's rough on Nicko and Bruce, and slowed down would suck half the fun out of it.

I like the suggestion that DOFP is a potential opener. It would work, even if it wouldn't be one of my preferred Senjutsu choices.

I'd have liked to have caught Senjutsu itself live, but the way Steve was talking in the tour announcement, it didn't sound like they were going to repeat that live

"Senjutsu" itself is all buildup and no take-off. It stays as this plodding, 8-minute mid-paced monstrosity all the way through and never goes beyond that, and doesn't vary much sonically the way "Eternity" and "TFF" do. I imagine that's why they shoved the samurai Eddie out there during it, because there isn't a lot of excitement in the song otherwise, especially as an opener that's typically supposed to get the adrenaline going.

I really wish they would've done what Nightwish did on their last tour with their album opener, "Music." Take off "Doctor, Doctor" as the pre-show song, plug in the studio version of "Senjutsu" (or a five minute edit of it), and blast off into "Stratego," but that's just me. A lot of people seem to like the title track...it just has never done much of anything for me.
I couldn’t agree more. It was entertaining live because it’s Maiden and samurai Eddie showed up, but the song itself is extremely underwhelming. I don’t understand why or how so many people enjoy it so much, and why they say it’s one of the best tracks on Senjutsu. I think it is easily the worst Maiden song with Bruce on vocals.

So I would be happy with any other Senjutsu songs live on the Future Past Tour, especially Hell on Earth or The Time Machine. Enough with the title track. Bury it and move on. Rant over hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back