The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the final say Bruce has these days with most things and his love of all things French, I’d go with Burgundy. Either that or Bordeaux.
I think Steve, Bruce and Rod are involved with the stage sets, but I doubt Bruce will choose the decors himself. Stage props (and setlist), yes.
Considering I think it's going to look like the SIT cover with neon lights everywhere, it'll probably change with whatever LEDs on the front/sides of Bruce's platforms display for the song. I still think this is going to be the most high-tech stageset they've ever toured with.
^ This. And it will look great. I want the towers on both sides of the stage to be included as well. Or why not frame for the backdrops again? I hope Senjutsu will have a noticeable hint in the stage design - my bet is Nicko's drum kit, or some inscriptions (like in the tour promo video).
Not saying it’s gonna happen, but I wouldn’t be sad if they played The Book of Souls again instead of Alexander
Book Of Souls chorus is really difficult live. I doubt they will play it again. Why wouldn't you rather hear a great song that hasn't been played live before? It should have its spotlight, just like every other epic played on at least one tour.

Book Of Souls chorus is really difficult live. I doubt they will play it again. Why wouldn't you rather hear a great song that hasn't been played live before? It should have its spotlight, just like every other epic played on at least one tour.
You’re absolutely right, it deserves it’s time in the spotlight. And yes that chorus might destroy Bruce nowadays. I think just because I was listening to Book of Souls (live) yesterday and remembered how awesome it is. I would totally love to hear Alexander as well. It certainly makes more sense than a random reunion era epic.

I think Steve, Bruce and Rod are involved with the stage sets, but I doubt Bruce will choose the decors himself. Stage props (and setlist), yes.

^ This. And it will look great. I want the towers on both sides of the stage to be included as well. Or why not frame for the backdrops again? I hope Senjutsu will have a noticeable hint in the stage design - my bet is Nicko's drum kit, or some inscriptions (like in the tour promo video).

I remember being quite misty eyed during the chorus and outro to Book of Souls in 2017. Hearing Bruce nail one of my favourite songs after his cancer scare was just something else!

Not saying it’s gonna happen, but I wouldn’t be sad if they played The Book of Souls again instead of Alexander

I was recently thinking about "The Book of Souls" without having read this. I love how Dave's solo flows into the song after the riff and think that's a great athmospheric moment live.

The second date in Dortmund (June 26) is now also almost sold out, except for the VIP packages.

:scared:
https://www.welt.de/iconist/partner...l-nach-Wacken-wir-sehen-uns-Sonntagabend.html
My translation:

"Musically, the former Eurodance star [Jasmin Wagner/Blümchen] is now walking on somewhat different paths - this summer she will be seen beside Iron Maiden with the band Lord Of The Lost at the Wacken Open Air."

Don't horrify me like that! I'm so glad that's not literal. She's not going on stage with Iron Maiden.

I'm really curoius about all the circumstances that lead to the upcoming The Future Past Tour. I mean, they neglected their SIT album so hard for so many decades, and so it'd be really interesting to know a bit more how it came they changed their minds. I'd love to know who might have been the driving force behind it all. And whoever this may have been: How did he manage to convince Steve to bring back SIT. I'm sure it was not Steve's idea.
Who would have expected this all about only a year ago...

I'm really curoius about all the circumstances that lead to the upcoming The Future Past Tour. I mean, they neglected their SIT album so hard for so many decades, and so it'd be really interesting to know a bit more how it came they changed their minds. I'd love to know who might have been the driving force behind it all. And whoever this may have been: How did he manage to convince Steve to bring back SIT. I'm sure it was not Steve's idea.
Who would have expected this all about only a year ago...
Honestly I think it centers around Alexander the Great. They'd said for years that they'd play it one day, and I think with their age at this point they thought "might as well do it now." And since just playing Alex on the Senjutsu tour by itself would seem not particularly thematic, why not make a hybrid tour of the two albums?

Granted, since "Senjutsu" is a title and album all about war in various ways, Alexander the Great would make a bit of sense just on its own. But I think it would still seem strange.

What has me curious is whether they're really going to attempt the harder songs on SIT. Especially the psuedo-title-track. I'm sure they wouldn't play that song if they weren't certain they could do it justice. But can Maiden at this age really do it justice? Or, will they instead pick the "easier" to play songs from SIT like Wasted Years, Strange in a Strange Land, and Alexander?

Ultimately, I'm all kinds of curious what they'll choose. Vocally, I think Bruce can do just fine. It's Nicko's feet I'm most worried about, as selfish and nitpicky as that sounds.

I think it comes down to the stage show. They mention in the original press release that they regret not having the stage on video and want to correct that. It’s not the first time the band has said something to that effect so I see no reason to doubt that that is the main driving force. Because of that, I feel there really aren’t any guarantees with song selection.

Possibly because most songs -though pleasant on the record- don't come across very well live, except "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait". And that is a major factor for Maiden when it comes to choosing the setlist.
I'll be honest, I've never thought that Wasted Years comes across good live. Something about their choruses with harmonized vocals don't land for me when played live. I feel the same about Can I Play With Madness.

But now they come across better than before? :S
No but now, communication in general and Internet fandom in particular create an expectation that was not there back when the album was originally released. If the old songs don't work as well as expected, they'll just use new backdrops and/or accessories (i.e the flamethrower and the cross, respectively on "Flight of Icarus" and "Sign of the Cross"). Maiden -and other bands their size- don't have to promote music any more but merely develop a brand.

I was recently thinking about "The Book of Souls" without having read this. I love how Dave's solo flows into the song after the riff and think that's a great athmospheric moment live.

The second date in Dortmund (June 26) is now also almost sold out, except for the VIP packages.

:scared:
https://www.welt.de/iconist/partner...l-nach-Wacken-wir-sehen-uns-Sonntagabend.html
My translation:

"Musically, the former Eurodance star [Jasmin Wagner/Blümchen] is now walking on somewhat different paths - this summer she will be seen beside Iron Maiden with the band Lord Of The Lost at the Wacken Open Air."

Don't horrify me like that! I'm so glad that's not literal. She's not going on stage with Iron Maiden.
Just listened to the live version of TBOS from Donington.

Man, what a great song. Love the Nicko gong hit in the middle.

I'll be honest, I've never thought that Wasted Years comes across good live. Something about their choruses with harmonized vocals don't land for me when played live. I feel the same about Can I Play With Madness.
Harmonized choruses are ruined by Steve in CIPWM and RTTH. Wasted Years with only Adrian singing the harmony works for me just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back