The Concert Thread

Got three gigs lined up for the rest of this month, after seeing Devin Townsend last week.

14/4 - PigsX7 - Sugarmill, Stoke on Trent
15/4 - Sabaton, Wembley Arena, London
29/4 - Uprising Fest (Saor/Combichrist/Paradise Lost) - O2 Academy, Leicester

The rest of the year is looking pretty rosy!

5/5 - The Lottery Winners - Sugarmill, Stoke on Trent
13/5 - Heriot - Devil's Dog, Birmingham
31/5 - Roger Waters - Utilita Arena, Birmingham
17/6 - Peter Gabriel - Utilita Arena, Birmingham
4/7 - Iron Maiden - Utilita Arena, Birmingham
5/8 - Ard/Saor/Winterfylleth - Rebellion, Manchester
10-13/8 - Bloodstock Open Air - Catton Park, Derbyshire
28/8 - Trivium - Victoria Hall, Stoke on Trent
28/10 - Electric Callboy - O2 Academy, Birmingham

I'm sure there'll be some more that will crop up that I can add.

So Sabaton were pretty great last night. Good focus on the newer material, which was handy for me as that's what I'm most familiar with, but I wasn't sure it was going down too well with some of the crowd, they didn't seem as into it as I was. I thought Christmas Truce was an odd one to close the set out with, thought it'd be more of a seasonal thing given the subject matter (obviously), plus I'd have preferred Valley of Death or Hellfighters from the same album in its place.

Openers were Lordi and Babymetal, didn't know either of them were still a thing to be honest. Caught Lordi's last few songs, they didn't leave much of an impression but were fine, I've heard worse. Like Babymetal, we left for the bar after three songs. :lol:

Highlights: Bismarck, The Last Stand, Sarajevo, Stormtroopers, Dreadnought, Father.

336661629_3460204980913592_4242964926147317921_n.jpg

I saw Sabaton too on Saturday night. This was my fifth time seeing them, from the tiny Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton in 2014, to headlining Bloodstock in 2019, to finally seeing them in an arena. Fuck me, they left me speechless. The setlist was a perfect combination of older songs, and songs from the new album (which I think is their strongest since The Art of War personally). They played with such fire and passion, and I wasn't expecting to get as emotional as I did when they played 1916, and Christmas Truce.

Also, their stage shows are getting incredibly elaborate and theatrical. Tonnes of pyro, costumes, and props. Just a thoroughly entertaining show.

This was gig #14 for me this year, and it's gone straight to the top, and it's gonna be hard to beat.

Last edited:
I went to see Roger Waters in Oslo recently. Yes he’s old, but the show was still amazing. I really enjoyed the 2022 version of Comfortly numb, very strong version. Another highlight was Sheep, that song is really, really amazing live! Too bad they had the intermission right after Sheep, it kind of ruined the momentum.

But damn how expensive things have become… 1600 NOK for tickets, 125 NOK for one beer, 400 NOK for one t shirt plus many thousands for traveling. It will be a long time until I will be able to go to a live show

I am heading home after an acoustic gig of Ginger Wildheart playing songs from The Wildhearts. Terrific gig (and very sweaty).

I was lucky enough to meet Ginger before the gig thanks to my mate needing something to eat. :lol: Very friendly guy!

IMG_2190.jpeg

Took family to see Seal play most of his 1st 2 cds Saturday night. Been a fan since his song was used during end credits for Batman Forever. 29 years later, he sounds great and put on a very enjoyable show.

His producer was Trevor Horn for those 1st 2 cds. On this tour, Trevor is not only the bassist, but he uses Seal's band, calls them The Buggles (Geoff Downes is busy touring with Yes), and opened the show. They rocked!

Took family to see Seal play most of his 1st 2 cds Saturday night. Been a fan since his song was used during end credits for Batman Forever. 29 years later, he sounds great and put on a very enjoyable show.

His producer was Trevor Horn for those 1st 2 cds. On this tour, Trevor is not only the bassist, but he uses Seal's band, calls them The Buggles (Geoff Downes is busy touring with Yes), and opened the show. They rocked!

Sounds amazing! I’d love to see Seal do those albums. Classic material there.

I love Rush, so when I saw yesterday that the great tribute band Moving Pictures were coming to Guildford in July I had to buy a ticket (it would have been stupid not to).

I wonder how many times I am going to be told that night that I look a bit like Geddy Lee!

Saw Arch Echo and Haken last night in Austin with my son. Great performances by both bands! Highly recommended this tour to any fans of Prog metal!

Attachments

• 20230520_212757.jpg
    20230520_212757.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I love Rush, so when I saw yesterday that the great tribute band Moving Pictures were coming to Guildford in July I had to buy a ticket (it would have been stupid not to).

I wonder how many times I am going to be told that night that I look a bit like Geddy Lee!
Maybe they´ll ask autographs.

Back