The Concert Thread

Woke up this morning to an email informing me that Jesus Jones was going to be in my neck of the woods for the first time in 30+ years, so I snapped up a 4th row center seat for their show in June. I actually saw them at a tiny club in Connecticut back in 1992 on the Doubt tour, and they were great -- but all my favorite material of theirs was released after that, so I'm pretty psyched to get the chance to see them again.

Two weeks to go and then I have two Voyager shows within 12 days!

And that’s pretty much all I actually have booked for this year at this stage.

Drove 3 hours yesterday to see Death Angel, Sepultura, and Kreator play San Antonio last night. Did not disappoint!
All 3 bands were in top form!
Death Angel was so good, I was wondering how ANY band could have followed them.

However Sepultura surprised me again (this is 2nd time seen current line up; 1st time was promoting Machine Messiah and were better than expected). Derrick again have it his all. My favorite of their set was Territory and Agony of Defeat.

Kreator's stage was enough to cause nightmares! Bodies hanging in background (as well as on spikes on opposite sides of the front of the stage). Then they have a giant Satan (Eddie size) behind the drummer! Damn their singer (like the other 2 band singers who preceded them) can still scream their ass off!

What a night!

Having bought no tickets for anything else this year after Maiden, I was chuffed to find Aephanemer (French symphonic/melodeath type band) are playing a small venue in Newcastle this September, and tickets are just £10 o_O Would be rude not to...

They're also playing a free gig in Birmingham if anyone here is in that neck of the woods, and playing the Cart and Horses in London, which would be a fun one if didn't cost me a fortune to go and stay in London.

They're also playing a free gig in Birmingham if anyone here is in that neck of the woods, and playing the Cart and Horses in London, which would be a fun one if didn't cost me a fortune to go and stay in London.

Omg I had no idea, thanks for the heads up! I'll be all over that Birmingham date.

Well I don't know if it's a marketing thing, but ticket numbers for all venues are very limited - small gigs - so they reckon everything will go quick

I guess you still need a ticket for the free one

Last night saw 3 bands at a packed club with no a/c:
1. Seven Kingdoms - US band; Sabrina sang her ass off; band was well received.
2. Wind Rose - Tuscan band; every song is told from pov of the Dwarves in Middle Earth! The audience knew EVERY word of EVERY song! Singer said is their 1st US tour. Glad I got to experience them live.
3. Rhapsody of Fire- Italian band; fast Symphonic metal - sounded great and audience loved them but not as much audience participation as Wind Rose. Less people in audience as well.

351322567_1220706541960564_2767023225021486437_n.jpg

Saw Kiss in Birmingham last night, and had an absolute wail of a time. Say what you like about how many farewell tours they've done, but they're still hugely entertaining and put one of the best arena rock shows. When the inevitable reunion tour comes around, I'll be there.

I bought tickets to see Sonata Arctica in September and Amaranthe in December. There's also this cool festival in August with Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Sodom, Voivod and much more. I definitely need to grind the discographies of the last two bands before the festival though. :p

I bought tickets to see Sonata Arctica in September and Amaranthe in December. There's also this cool festival in August with Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Sodom, Voivod and much more. I definitely need to grind the discographies of the last two bands before the festival though. :p
I wonder how much of early Sonata (Ecliptica/Silence) is in their setlist nowadays.

I wonder how much of early Sonata (Ecliptica/Silence) is in their setlist nowadays.
Lately they've been on their anniversary tour with sets including songs from each album. I saw them twice in 2021 and they did Tallulah, Fullmoon, Kingdom for a Heart and Sing in Silence. Neither of those was a full headline set so I assume we might be getting a couple more old school tracks at the September show.

Did Hellfest at the weekend, I was there for Friday and Saturday.

Managed to have no spoilers for the set, bar obviously working out that Alexander would be played. Also all the SIT and Senjutsu tracks that I had an inkling would be played were played except for Death of the Celts which I thought had a chance but Parchment was what I thought was more likely. Would have never guessed in a million years for CIPWM and The Prisoner, and overall the set was pretty short on the "staples" with only 4 of the set regulars and even then Wasted Years isn't one of the most regulars.

Maiden were excellent, Bruce in particular, only slight hitch was H got lost in the Alexander solo, has that been happening much? Delighted that I have two more gigs to come.

Hellfest was a brilliantly organised festival, really enjoyed it, I would go back in future except it's pretty hard to get tickets. I only got in on the guest list as I know Def Leppard's sound engineer, but there's no way I would buy tickets for a gig before the line up is announced and that seems like the most likely way to get tickets.

Other bands that were good were British Lion, Skid Row and Def Leppard, only saw about half an hour of Motley as we had to drive back to Nantes and their set wasn't going to finish until 1am, but enjoyed what I saw. Some bands that I'm not a fan of that were a good watch were Alter Bridge, Powerwolf and especially Papa Roach, who I'm not a fan of musically but the frontman is so enthusiastic and good natured that you can't help but enjoy them.

Machine Gun Kelly has surpassed the Murderdolls to become the worst act I ever saw :lol:

Back