The Concert Thread

Well, Katatonia were a lot better than I remember. This was my first time seeing Roger Ojersson on guitar and he's a real asset to the band - guitar sounds great and his backing vocals are spot on.

Setlist was a good choice too. Good selection of their newer, heavier and more popular tracks, not overdoing it on the slow, mellow stuff.

I only videoed a short clip because I didn't think my phone would handle the lighting or sound well, but it turns out if was okay.

Support bands included Solstafir - well worth a watch/listen if you've not seen them before. Bunch of oddballs with unexpectedly heavy quirky music, and an eccentric but engaging front man.

Solstafir - well worth a watch/listen if you've not seen them before. Bunch of oddballs with unexpectedly heavy quirky music, and an eccentric but engaging front man.
This was the first band from Iceland I heard in a millennium now long gone, and I still remember this, from their first EP.
Guest vocalist, and not really typical for them, then or now, but great memories nevertheless, thanks!

I've been vaguely aware of a festival bubbling under not too far from where I live. I noticed a few metal bands, but not worth going for a full day. Now they suddenly have Blind Guardian, but more to the point Atlantean Kodex headlining a second stage. I'm interested now.

Also, White Spirit. I didn't know they were still in existence tbh.

2023 plan:

03/10-11/2023BelgradeNikola Vranjković
03/19/2023SofiaJon Lord‘s “Concerto For Group & Orchestra”
05/28/2023LjubljanaIron Maiden
06/10/2023ThessalonikiAshes of Ares
06/29/2023KragujevacClutch / Nikola Vranjković
09/15-16/2023TilburgAyreon
10/08/2023ViennaParadise Lost / Primordial

I've been vaguely aware of a festival bubbling under not too far from where I live. I noticed a few metal bands, but not worth going for a full day. Now they suddenly have Blind Guardian, but more to the point Atlantean Kodex headlining a second stage. I'm interested now.

Also, White Spirit. I didn't know they were still in existence tbh.

Looks like a wee nice festival!

I clean forgot the previous debacle, but Wiz reminded me. He had tickets for 2022. It was postponed to October last year and then shelved again. Hopefully it works out this time

10/08/2023ViennaParadise Lost / Primordial
I strongly object to the format used above, a manifest attempt to confuddle gullible users familiar with the fact you're no Murican into believing it's August 10th and not October 8th - with motives transparent enough, I believe.
That said, hope we meet there. :cheers:

I just use the Murican way of writing dates when I write in English. Anyway, good catch, would've sucked if I went there on a wrong day lol

Just saw Kings Of Thrash. Great show, never thought I’d get a chance to see both my and @MrKnickerbocker’s favorite Megadeth album So Far, So Good…So What! performed in its entirety with half of the original lineup! So cool to see Young’s unique two-handed technique up close and in person. Lots of great songs from Killing Is My Business… too.

I’m bummed that Chris Poland is apparently no longer touring with them, so they changed up the encore and dropped most of the Peace Sells tracks for covers of other metal bands — but the main set was still great.

I was supposed to have balcony seats, but they closed the balcony for some reason and moved my group up into the closest VIP booth instead. Strange to watch a metal show from a comfy couch 15 feet from the stage, but I’m not complaining!

Just saw Kings Of Thrash. Great show, never thought I’d get a chance to see both my and @MrKnickerbocker’s favorite Megadeth album So Far, So Good…So What! performed in its entirety with half of the original lineup!
:D
I’m bummed that Chris Poland is apparently no longer touring with them, so they changed up the encore and dropped most of the Peace Sells tracks for covers of other metal bands — but the main set was still great.
That's honestly a huge bummer and makes me feel way better about not attending. The lack of Peace Sells tracks makes this a hard skip for me, even if I like a good portion of KIMB.
I was supposed to have balcony seats, but they closed the balcony for some reason and moved my group up into the closest VIP booth instead. Strange to watch a metal show from a comfy couch 15 feet from the stage, but I’m not complaining!
Low ticket sales, I'm assuming? Closing the balcony is step one in making the artist feel like the show is full.

Back