"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust Steve and Janick will come up with another great song. Talisman is great and DoD and The Legacy are among my favorite Maiden tracks.

Talisman, Legacy, Dance of Death. Dream of Mirrors also had prominent acoustic parts but no intro.

I know Dance of Death has some clean electric guitars mixed in, but it's the same vibe and probably laid the groundwork for those later songs.
Actually now that I think of it, the Legacy has electric guitars in the intro too so I guess it doesn't matter. :p

I also love Janick's epics. DOD and Legacy are two of my favorite Maiden songs. However, while Talisman is pretty good in its own right, the second part of acoustic intro does feel too similar to the opening of Legacy. Hopefully, this one will be something new altogether.

I always thought that the DOD intro was quite long and boring.From all the intos Jan did lately I'd say The Legacy is quite good.The Talisman could have been a winner if it wasn't for the overly long second acoustic part.

Great interview with Janick, new album hints (all of which for me seem very positive) aside, I particularly liked when he said:

"That’s why I never come out and say this is the best album we’ve ever made. You hear a lot of bands say that, but you should never say that! You say this is the best album at this point in time that we could make and I’m really proud of it."

That to me seems like the ideal philosophy for a musician to have.

"As one of the few people lucky enough to hear Book of Souls, I can honestly say it is worth the wait"

Hope he is right! :D

Did anyone else get the impression that we are only getting the single with no other teasers of any kind?!
I didn't read it like that at all. In fact I read it to mean that there will be no single. He said that it is nice to hear the whole album for the first time when it comes out, but if we have a single ahead of the album then we wont be hearing the whole album for the first time when it comes out as we will have already heard at least one song on the single. Add to that the fact that we have all seen on the official website that if we don't read it there then its not going to happen. Just because some online company accepted pre-orders for a single in August and it is mentioned in Metal Hammer don't mean a thing if there is no official announcement on the official webpage.

I hope it won't sound (too much) like any of these epics.
Great interview with Janick, new album hints (all of which for me seem very positive) aside, I particularly liked when he said:

"That’s why I never come out and say this is the best album we’ve ever made. You hear a lot of bands say that, but you should never say that! You say this is the best album at this point in time that we could make and I’m really proud of it."

That to me seems like the ideal philosophy for a musician to have.
The man has done some more good philosophy in the past. And earlier as well. I have big respect for this man.

One song before the album is enough, I dont want to hear any samples. I am quite old school like Janick, but I d wish to get the lyrics as a form of teaser.

Also, as long as there is someone who has a copy of the album, the chances of everyone getting to hear something are real. Metalmeltdown radio is a good example.

I didn't read it like that at all. In fact I read it to mean that there will be no single. He said that it is nice to hear the whole album for the first time when it comes out, but if we have a single ahead of the album then we wont be hearing the whole album for the first time when it comes out as we will have already heard at least one song on the single. Add to that the fact that we have all seen on the official website that if we don't read it there then its not going to happen. Just because some online company accepted pre-orders for a single in August and it is mentioned in Metal Hammer don't mean a thing if there is no official announcement on the official webpage.

I also tnough the same things.But then again there should be some airplay.So there's got to be a single after all.Onthe other hand song samples never do the actual songs any justice.

What I loved about DoD, The Legacy, and The Talisman, and what makes Gers my favourite song writer of the three is:

1. The weird sometimes zany riffs.
2. The Acoustic intros
3. Having no chorus, or in the case of The Talisman, one that is rarely used.

Edited for spoiler tag.

Dream of Mirrors could have fit this list, but it has a very repetitive chorus, and I think is less of a song for it. I was hoping Book of Souls (song) was going to follow suit with the previous three, but judging by the interview, no, because Steve added more choruses. Staying positive though, it'll be good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back