"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am however really curious to listen to this supposedly-Bruce-solo-title-track. Was there also a contribution by Roy Z? What about the riffs? Are they in standard tuning?
Good question! Actually I've asked the same question about Roy twice:
Maybe Bruce's stuff on the new album was originally planned for a solo-release, and even Roy Z was involved with the writing of it?
and:
So, now that Bruce has said that If Eternity Should Fail was in fact written and already demoed for his next solo-release, when Steve heard it and wanted it for BOS, the question regarding Roy Z's role in the track remains...
I'm really curious... I mean that titletrack for bruce's next album (which he worked on with Roy it seems) almost has to have been written by the 2 of them, right?? but unless someone asks Roy...?

I can tell you that Roy Z hinted about working together with Bruce a few years ago on his facebook page. But a it was a really vague hint, upon which someone asked "does this mean you are working on a new Bruce album", and Roy replied with a ;) smiley.

There was also an interview at roughly the same time with maybe Roy or someone else, some other guy who was talking about recording an album with Roy, and it was mentioned that Bruce was flying to L.A. for a couple of days and that he had chatted with this interviewed guy a bit. Sorry for the very fuzzy details, but I can't remember anything else about it.

Anyway, it could very well be that Bruce or Maiden bought the songwriting rights from Roy if he had really participated in the composition of the song. I wouldn't hold my breath about having a Roy Z credit on a Maiden album.

Well, I wouldn't expect the slightest mention even if Roy Z did the whole song himself. I am so happy we get so much H and Bruce input. And as I said before there is no higher praise to the Bruce solo material than having Steve ask for the song. Damn!

I find it unlikely that Bruce suddenly would write not one but two songs all by himself - and very long ones too - so I am definitely thinking Roy Z could have been involved. That was my first thought, actually.

Well, "suddenly"... He had five years to write If Eternity Should Fail, and he'd been working on Empire of the Clouds for a month during the studio sessions.

Bruce said he was releasing a solo record at the same time 'Arry announced British Lion. So IESF was going to be in it, I assume.

Well, I know why some people would not like that but I wouldn't even mind if Roy Z was the producer or even one of the guitarists in Maiden.

This is the rough translation of a brief interview with Bruce, appeared on today's issue of "Corriere della Sera", an italian newspaper. Nothing really new, or of particular interest, apart the confirmation that "Tears Of A Clown" is about Robin Williams.

http://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/1...re-6aa09880-473a-11e5-aa5e-2130add6a46c.shtml

The voice Of Iron Maiden

[The first part of the article is related to his well known health problem: the reaction to the shocking news ("In the first five minutes you wonder: why me? Then you think about it and change question: why not? You gradually accept, and respect the opponent. to beat it"). Then he assures fans that the larynx is ok, talks about his weight loss ("Now I weight like when I was 21, but there are surely better ways to reach that result") and the fact that his doctors were delighted to deal with him ("In the end, they told me that I was one of the most funny patients they ever had")]

'Death Or Glory' is an hommage to pioneers of the skies. It's about a triplane, dogfights, and the Red Baron, isn't it? "Yes, about his Fokker, it's the same as mine. These are Von Richtofen's words: 'it turns like a devil, it climbs like a monkey'. And to me they seemed perfect to be included in the lyrics".
We come back to flights with 'Empire Of The Clouds': "it's the story of R101, fallen in Beauvais, France, causing more emotion in Great Britain than that on the Titanic disaster. There were 48 killed, including the Air Minister and many politicians, that insisted to take off despite the extreme weather conditions. It was the inauguration of routes between England, India and Australia. The whole British Empire. That night the R101 was overloaded. The last thing to be put on board was the authorities' red carpet. They didn't want to leave it on the ground. It was placed in the foredeck and that one was a fatal decision".
For Bruce there's something even better about the songs. "My favourite song on the album isn't one of those written by me. It's 'Tears Of A Clown': it talks about Robin Williams". [...] "Wonder why he's feeling down". Who's the Beast today? Isis? The war? Global crisis? "No one of us does politics. Eddie is within us, is our dark side, but we take him out of the shadows. He makes our songs more interesting. The Beast of Iron Maiden is primitive, he makes you do crazy things".

Last edited:
Well, "suddenly"... He had five years to write If Eternity Should Fail, and he'd been working on Empire of the Clouds for a month during the studio sessions.

Suddenly as in changing the writing process. He hasn't written a song by himself since "Man of Sorrows" as far as I know, and the songs he has written by himself in the past has been rather simple, chord-based stuff. "Eternity" is described as a piece full of heavy riffing... That's Roy Z territory, right there. It makes no sense to have a song solely written by Bruce that involved heavy guitar riffs, without it being a collaboration between him and someone outside of the band that won't get a credit for obvious reasons.

Suddenly as in changing the writing process. He hasn't written a song by himself since "Man of Sorrows" as far as I know, and the songs he has written by himself in the past has been rather simple, chord-based stuff. "Eternity" is described as a piece full of heavy riffing... That's Roy Z territory, right there. It makes no sense to have a song solely written by Bruce that involved heavy guitar riffs, without it being a collaboration between him and someone outside of the band that won't get a credit for obvious reasons.

I totally agree. However the riffs he wrote in Revelations and Powerslave or even Flash of the blade were quite sick. But I think the first song of the new Maiden album is writen by Roy.

It's entirely possible that Bruce came up with the various bits of the songs over the years and had someone he trusts like Roy or Adrian put them into more formal guitar arrangements. I can see, in my mind's eye, a part where Bruce and Adrian are hanging out and Bruce is going, "and then it goes like ba-ba-badadadada-ba-ba" and Adrian plays it on the guitar.

But I think the first song of the new Maiden album is writen by Roy.
Speculation. Pure, complete speculation. Not because I care about speculation, but to remind people that this is speculation if they are just scanning the thread, we have 0 evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back