THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

I really don't like on this live album/video that it has so many different shots from other concerts and Dave,Adrian and Janick has different guitars on most of the songs. I don't know, maybe Tony Newton is responsible for that or Steve , but I don't like it !!! :mad: and with that the whole concert film is like clips form various concerts and only the audio is from the city ! A Real Live Dead One is only live album , without video and by me that makes more sense than the ''live clips'' on the current live album !

Also, they put the songs -> The Book of Souls and Blood Brothers from Donington 2016, but we have already the Sky Arts video for this songs, so it's kind of drop the moment of surprise + the Wasted Years video which they released previous when the tour was still on, and then again, they use it for the Live Chapter !!! :mad:
Why ? Instead of this , for example, and of the spirit of The Book of Souls album itself , why don't they include song from Mexico !
Other things that I don't like and I'm disappointed are:
- why they don't include Bruce speech before each song
- why the names of the songs are on the final on the video (Flight 666 is way way better than Live Chapter and it has documentary film !)
- I don't like the cover of this live album ! It's the same with one of the 2 tour posters for the 2017 leg. They can do it better, especially with the likes of Eddie !
- also the name (The Book of Souls: Live Chapter) is kind of lame to me ! They can do better on this, again ! for example, Pyramid of the Sun would be much better ;)
- and the last disappointment -> no DVD , only CD, vynil and limited edition CD - so it's like A Real Live Dead One, but with so many things that I'm unhappy - DVD it's not necessary ! but if it has a DVD + a documentary - then, it would be superb

With this live stream , they can stream old concerts that have been recorded (from Early Days tour, AMOLAD, ME , TFF-1 leg,) without releasing a DVD ! but with that they can't make money ! that is something Rod not like :D

Don't get me wrong guys, Maiden are on fire on this one and it would have been so better if they relese a single concert from this tour !
Absolutely amazing Bruce - what a legend ! the best singer in the world ! and the others are on top. Nicko really surprises me in a good way !

I really wonder if they will release some of the concerts from the upcoming LOTB tour or it will be streamed or they don't release nothing like for the AMOLAD 1 leg - every other tour since 2000 have videos or DVD's that we can watch . Ohhh, the Ed Hunter tour is one that don't have a proper recording or a TV broadcast !

Last edited:
Just listened to the whole album. Excellent live sound through my home stereo. The performances they have chosen are absolutely incredible. If this is the way they are going to produce live albums nowadays, I am all for it! I would rather hear amazing performances of each track than have a whole concert with obvious dips in quality of obvious overdubs.

TRATB and TGU sound so huge!

Just listened to the whole album. Excellent live sound through my home stereo. The performances they have chosen are absolutely incredible. If this is the way they are going to produce live albums nowadays, I am all for it! I would rather hear amazing performances of each track than have a whole concert with obvious dips in quality of obvious overdubs.

TRATB and TGU sound so huge!
TRATB is mixed very badly (synths louder than snare, eating all of the guitars).

TRATB is mixed very badly (synths louder than snare, eating all of the guitars).
Yeah and Adrian's guitar disappears volume-wise in the instrumental part. Hell, most of the song actually, besides his solos. Can barely even tell it's there when he's playing the harmony with Janick.

I'm interested to know if the LP mix is somewhat different to the CD one. I mean CD/video mix is ok-sih apart from the TRATB synths. I'm interested if the LP mix is any different.

Yeah and Adrian's guitar disappears volume-wise in the instrumental part. Hell, most of the song actually, besides his solos. Can barely even tell it's there when he's playing the harmony with Janick.

What are you listening through? Audible and clear to me. Not as overpowering as you're used to hearing him, but that's a good thing.

For once Dave's solos are actually audible and as clear as they should be, despite being panned hard left. I think Newton did a marvelous job with this and I'd take it over their other live-mixes since RiR any day of the week.

Synths in "The Red and the Black" before the last "woah"-chant is probably the only thing I'd agree with.

What are you listening through? Audible and clear to me. Not as overpowering as you're used to hearing him, but that's a good thing.
I listened to it on both my speakers and my actually decent headphones, and nope, his guitar is really, really low in the harmony segments. I dunno why, it's not like that in most other songs, but it's pointlessly low there and in a few other spots. Possibly because it's dead center this time and Steve wants the bass and drums to be louder, I dunno.

And I would absolutely not call Adrian's level in the mix in any of the Maiden live releases "overpowering". If anything, usually he's hard to find in the mix because either he's panned in the center and everything else there is louder or then his guitar is panned soft left and it blends in with Davey's hard left panning. No, I'd say his guitar varies from being a bit too low to being just about right on the live mixes. Never too loud, apart from maybe the solo in Rime on Flight 666, but that was because of the LOUD EXPLOSIONS that weren't actually even that loud.

Rock in Rio on DVD is arguably the only exception since Adrian literally has his own channel on that one, but even still, on a well-balanced system it sounds great.

I can see why they are are not releasing this on dvd, its pretty poorly edited and put together thats for sure.

I usually don't have an eye for this sort of thing, but even I noticed some very clumsy camera cuts, especially in transitions between songs. I'm wondering whether they decided not to release it as a DVD/BluRay because of this, or they didn't bother to commission a proper edit because they weren't planning for a physical release in the first place.

Listening to this now and it all feels pretty soul less to me. With no banter between songs or even a snippet of talking to introduce a song it just doesn’t have a that proper live feel to me. I much prefer whole concerts so when I’m listening I can imagine actually being there. Hate these live releases when it’s Frankenstein’d from different concerts.

If was any other band than Maiden I would have passed on this but it had to be purchased for the collection :)

Gonna file this with a real live/dead one as a curiosity and probably hardly ever dig it out in the future after a couple of listens over this weekend.

Back