THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

Hate these live releases when it’s Frankenstein’d from different concerts.

I get that sentiment. It's a different feel to one single concert on a live album. On the other hand, I don't mind the occasional live compilation, as they have a certain appeal as tour documentations in themselves. It's a bit like a montage where you see different cities all over the world rushing by, and that's cool in itself. It would theoretically also give you the liberty to compile a tracklist that is not slavishly bound to the setlist of one specific show or leg of the tour, but whatever.

On my second listen, and it reminds me of the show vividly, so I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Reading the gripes here, but not finding the parallels to my own experience at all thankfully. Sounds great through my set up, especially Fear Of The Dark and Iron Maiden.

I get that sentiment. It's a different feel to one single concert on a live album. On the other hand, I don't mind the occasional live compilation, as they have a certain appeal as tour documentations in themselves. It's a bit like a montage where you see different cities all over the world rushing by, and that's cool in itself. It would theoretically also give you the liberty to compile a tracklist that is not slavishly bound to the setlist of one specific show or leg of the tour, but whatever.

I would much prefer to watch this type of concert as opposed to listening to the cd. As a video, a concert made up of different concert footage is quite cool as you get to see the different venues and how the crowd reacts at different places. This is a nice a documentation of a tour. As an audio only experience it’s just soul less to me.

It’s like flight 666, I’ve watched that loads of times and love seeing the different tracks played at different venues throughout the tour but I’ve hardly ever listened to the cd.

Listening to this now and it all feels pretty soul less to me.

Pun intended? Anyway, I suspect they're taking the cut-and-shut, 'round-the-world approach to reflect the scale of the show. That or they're just bored of just recording South American shows

TRATB sounds absolutely terrible. However, as stated, The Trooper sounds fantastic

Finally we get to hear Janick's solos on the newer material as they should have been on TBOS studio cd, panned to the right channel! As I said in the past, if Dave has his solos panned to the left (which is where we see him on stage), then Janick's should be panned to the right (which is where we see him on stage); not in the center channel (as was done on the studio version).

Listening to this now and it all feels pretty soul less to me. With no banter between songs or even a snippet of talking to introduce a song it just doesn’t have a that proper live feel to me. I much prefer whole concerts so when I’m listening I can imagine actually being there. Hate these live releases when it’s Frankenstein’d from different concerts.

If was any other band than Maiden I would have passed on this but it had to be purchased for the collection :)

Gonna file this with a real live/dead one as a curiosity and probably hardly ever dig it out in the future after a couple of listens over this weekend.
No banter at all? OK. A Real Live One is better. I can imagine I was there. And I was there. And it just fucking rocks.

Speaking about the audio only version, yes Bruce does introduce a few tracks ( The Great Unknown & TBOS for example)

I think they (He) might be more inclined to include some of Bruces chat if it wasn't so shite. Children of the Damned is a case in point. And TBOS chat about empires is a tad long winded and boring. Glad they were cut but agree that a bit of chat can make a live album come to life more.

Picked up the CD in town this morning to have something to listen to as I'm waiting for the Vinyl and Deluxe CD to come in the post. Will have a listen this afternoon, looking forward to it. Enjoyed the youtube version so I can't wait to see if a proper physical format played on an actual hifi sounds better.

I think they (He) might be more inclined to include some of Bruces chat if it wasn't so shite. Children of the Damned is a case in point. And TBOS chat about empires is a tad long winded and boring. Glad they were cut but agree that a bit of chat can make a live album come to life more.
In this case Bruce's speech Children of the Damned was in french and that's something I can live without.

No banter at all? OK. A Real Live One is better. I can imagine I was there. And I was there. And it just fucking rocks.

I did speak too soon as yes he did introduce book of souls the song but apart from a bit of french introducing children of the damned that was the first I heard him talk and that’s track 2 of the second disc!!!

One of the things I didn’t like about the maiden England re release was they cut loads of Bruce’s banter in between songs. Even he’s talking a load of shite I still want to hear it lol.

I’ve now listened to all of this once and in my opinion it’s pretty pointless and I doub I’ll go back to it again. I’ve got better live versions of the classic tracks played already and whilst the sound on the book of souls tracks is good the lack of banter the fact they are pieces together from different gigs just makes nothing more than a curiosity for me.

For me, the highlights of the Live Chapter video are: The Red and The Black - live, it is majestic and The Great Unknown - a mystical song with great atmosphere and very hard song to do live, especially for Bruce !
The other songs:
- If Eternity Should Fail is a good song, but don't have a solo on it and that's a down for the song ! live on stage is good.
- Speed of Light is a decent song and a let's say normal performance from the band on this video. They can do it better !
- Wratchild is a fresh good short song for the set , and well perofrmed by the band and I like the Bruce scream on it :)
- Children of the Damned: good performance, well played solo by Adrian and good performance by Bruce ! Nice song for the setlist of this tour !
- Death Or Glory is a flawless performance by the band and also a highlight of the show !
- The Trooper is as always good !
- Powerslave definitely a ''live song'' and a highlight of the tour ! fantastic solos and great harmonies -> essential Maiden.
- The Book of Souls from Donington 2016 - fantastic performance by the band and highlight song for the show and from the album. One of Maiden best epics !!! very creepy song and dark, which suit the album perfectly.
- Fear of the Dark is well played - the Fortaleza audience could do better, but this song is always fantastic live !
- Iron Maiden, the song, strangely but this time the performance of it, I really like it ! always considered it like not so good song and why Maiden play it on every tour, but with the appearance of Eddie and the whole reaction this song is very very good live :) the band seems to have fun with it, especially at the end of the song !
- The Number of The Beast - don't like the performance from Wacken , I don't know why Maiden choose this song to be from there - last concert, the band seems tired and Bruce scream is not that good ! maybe for Mexico it will be superb ! no, not maybe , I'm sure from Mexico would be majical !
- Blood Brothers - superb performance and one of the highlights of the show and the tour ! Janick did great job on it !
- Wasted Years - for me, the weakest performance of this song and on the video - only the solo from Adrian is good

Overall it is a good concert film with many remarks ! 8/10 :cool:

Last edited:
Finally we get to hear Janick's solos on the newer material as they should have been on TBOS studio cd, panned to the right channel! As I said in the past, if Dave has his solos panned to the left (which is where we see him on stage), then Janick's should be panned to the right (which is where we see him on stage); not in the center channel (as was done on the studio version).
He's in the centre normally because it's symbolic of his standing within the band - holding the whole thing together by the power of his presence ...

:D:D

Guys, this is a bootleg. Evening project of Steve Harris. Maiden themselves said it so. It's right there, on Youtube, in HD. They sell physical media because they know people are going to buy it for collections. So don't complain about level of production, it's not meant to be compared to En Vivo.

Back