The Book of Souls: General album discussion

Haha... I have both SSOASS and AMOLAD in the absolute top.... and I'm pretty sure this one will end up there as well.... maybe dethrone them all.
Now I'm also of the opinion it's a bit silly and unnecessary to rank albums, they are all good in their own way, it's different music, it's there to be enjoyed.
What number it has isn't that important. But yeah... as someone said, it's pretty fun after all, haha. At least it is a good way to show how good this album is.

For you guys who got it today (so did I, but I also downloaded it) and heard it for the first time.... prepare for it growing on you. I thought it was awesome the first time, but it's even better now. It's getting better (if even possible) each day. I have basically been listening to this non-stop all day every day for the past week.
Starting to get a bit afraid I won't be able to stop and it'll give me a brain aneurysm. It's that good

Shit, sounds scary!

One listen only and none of the songs left me irrelevant or emotionless. I'm totally in love with TBOS song (the only one I played twice) and right after it DoG, ToaC and IESF come. The 2 other epics I need to listen at least 10 times each, they will be definitely growers. And I totally agree: there are no f***kin' fillers in this album, this is pure Maiden magnificence.

Regarding the production: it is good and shining, to me the problem is the lack of mastering: it should have treated those peaks or lows in solos and drums heard here and there well. But I can live without it, as this does not reflect my immediate perception of the album. I feel a lucky man who has returned 20+ years back when I was discovering for myself all the 80s albums.

I don't wish it nor expect it, but if this turns out to be the last Iron Maiden album, I'll be okay. What a fucking achievement.

+1
That was at the back of my mind when I first heard it. I didn't think TFF was a fitting end (although I do like TFF), but this one is something special.

Packaging is fricking awesome .... cranking the LP ... sounds great. Fuck, I love this album

Off to IM.com to order an Eddie loin cloth!

Crawling out of my hole to say goddamn I love this album. It sounds like a natural progression from TFF. Janick was the surprise MVP for me.

TBoS was jam-packed with ideas, almost to a fault. Maybe if this were any other band, I'd wish they pulled back, lightened up on the gas pedal, but it's honestly so refreshing coming from Maiden. The reunion albums have their own "formula" of sorts, and while they experimented a bit with their formula in TFF, they totally threw away the rule book with TBoS and it paid off.

The second disc took a heaping shit on the first disc for me. Not even close. It's just more interesting. So many unexpected twists and turns, especially in the last three tunes. Admittedly, none of the songs imo are completely without fault, but the level of creativity and all-around quality more than compensate for me.

I'm so glad I acted with some degree of discipline and waited to hear this on vinyl. It was well worth it. 8.5/10 for me right now, but I expect the score to go up.

Highlights: Empire of the Clouds, The Man of Sorrows, The Book of Souls, Tears of a Clown, If Eternity Should Fail

After two listens, here are my observations:

- the title track is just so immense
- When the River Runs Deep is probably the weakest song
- Based on his two songs, this band needs more Janick!
- Shadows has SiT references in both the main riff (hello, Wasted Years) and the "sea of madness" line, it's strange that H did not write it
- the printers should be embarrassed by the amount of typos in the booklet
- Clown and Sorrows both reference "clouds", right before Empire of the Clouds
- the topics get much more earthbound as the album progresses, from discussing the lofty and philosophical concepts of eternity, light speed travel, the great unknown, to the more grandiose themes of human importance and history in the middle, to sadness and depression and looking for a way out...only to take to the skies and then crash because you've become to big for your own capacity. That's heavy, folks. Also, I'm drubl.

After two listens, here are my observations:

- the title track is just so immense
- When the River Runs Deep is probably the weakest song
- Based on his two songs, this band needs more Janick!
- Shadows has SiT references in both the main riff (hello, Wasted Years) and the "sea of madness" line, it's strange that H did not write it
- the printers should be embarrassed by the amount of typos in the booklet
- Clown and Sorrows both reference "clouds", right before Empire of the Clouds
- the topics get much more earthbound as the album progresses, from discussing the lofty and philosophical concepts of eternity, light speed travel, the great unknown, to the more grandiose themes of human importance and history in the middle, to sadness and depression and looking for a way out...only to take to the skies and then crash because you've become to big for your own capacity. That's heavy, folks. Also, I'm drubl.

There should really be a drunken reviews thread, just for this purpose.

One thing is for sure, Maiden really defied all my expectations for this. When I saw the track list and songwriters I figured aside from the two Bruce songs, I more or less knew what to expect with most songs. I was right that the Bruce songs were completely out of left field, wrong on everything else. It really feels like a new era for Maiden. Where I can group the last four albums together and hear a clear connection, this one feels like something else entirely.

It feels progressive but also more grounded than the last two, while still being a step forward musically. Some of the typical Maidenisms are there but nowhere here did it seem like they were repeating themselves. Unlike TFF, which in a lot of ways felt like a summary of past albums all wrapped up into one. Not that this was a bad thing, but put into context this makes sense: let's say TBOS is the last album. When looking at the band's entire career, TFF makes sense as a final chapter, where TBOS is more like an epilogue. Or the start of a new volume?

I don't think TBOS will be the last though. There's way too much new ground covered here that it'd be a huge shame if they didn't build on this. I feel like Steve could (and should) further explore some of the ideas in TRATB. This isn't a huge stretch, since Rime feels like the epic Steve had spent the last five albums trying to write. Each epic up until that point expanded on some ideas found on the last. I think the next album will be Steve's turn to write the side long epic. Or at least surpass Rime again. In retrospect TRATB will seem like the prototype for his masterpiece. That's just one example of what the future of Maiden could hold.

IF ETERNITY SHOULD FAIL: Such a strange kind of opener. Has such an eerie intro... almost like an old western... then once the main song begins, it's nothing but Maiden goodness from then on out. It packs a punch and definitely one of the stronger songs off the record. I just with I knew what it was about more. hahaha

SPEED OF LIGHT: I don't care what a lot of people say about this one... this song kicks ass! Granted it's not as good as some other songs but that chorus and guitar solo... Awesome!!!

THE GREAT UNKNOWN: At first listen this song is pretty entertaining and has a lot of good things about it. Nothing bad... it just is easy to forget about. And to me that's what IS bad about it. It's another filler song in the Maiden catalog, much like "Mother of Mercy" was in the album prior.

THE RED AND THE BLACK: When I first heard this song, I didn't really know what to think. I thought it was too long, the rhythm switched too much, it was almost like they didn't know what to focus on. Then I listened to it a couple more times and it just grew on me and now... it's my favorite off the album. I think it's catchy as hell! Reminds of something like "Pashcendale meets Dream of Mirrors". The "Woahs", Chorus, and guitar riff are just superb... even if it does go a little too long.

WHEN THE RIVER RUNS DEEP: This is a good one. It surprised because judging by a title like that I thought this was gonna be another filler. But it actually is strong enough to stand on its own. It's got a good riff, good vocals, good chorus, and good solo. It would be cool to see it played live, but I kinda doubt it.

THE BOOK OF SOULS: Wow! Epic fucking song! Reminds of something like "Dance of Death", very haunting, very brooding, but very MAIDEN! The subject matter and lyrics are great and the riffs and solos are gonna be awesome to rock to live. I have a feeling this is gonna be a new crowd favorite. It's already one of mine.

DEATH OR GLORY: Cool little fast song. When I first heard Maiden was gonna be doing a song like this and it would be about WW1 aircraft I was stoked. I was very curious how it would hold it and it actually is a pretty good song. It's very catchy. However... those lyrics... "Climb like a MONKEY..." I'm sorry that just kills it for me. It sounds way too silly. Still a good song, just wish those lyrics weren't in it.

SHADOWS OF THE VALLEY: This one is kind of peculiar. Again, I thought this was gonna be just another filler song. But it's actually kind of cool. The intro kind of reminds me of Wasted Years... my favorite song I might add, but once the vocals and chorus start in, you can tell there is more at work here than some of the other songs in the second disk. Still, this songs doesn't stand out over most of the others.

TEARS OF A CLOWN: I gotta say I was very happy to find out my favorite metal band would be paying homage to my favorite comedian, Robin Williams. They don't make fun of him. In fact, they sympathies with him and what he went through during the end of his life. It's something we can all relate to and the lyrics show for that. However, it's still one of the weaker songs on the album. It;s not bad, just doesn't stand out as much as the others.

MAN OF SORROWS: This is probably my least favorite off the album. It just doesn't stand out and is as much filler as you can get on a modern Maiden album. Sorry but this didn't do anything for me.

EMPIRE OF CLOUDS: Holy... fucking... crap!!! An 18 minute Maiden epic... and it fucking delivers!!! Not only is this the longest song they have ever done, but probably is the most beautiful as well. The piano melodies, the riffs, the lyrics, everything just paints a picture for you as if you are really their among the clouds watching as something very poetic and valiant heads for tragedy. I've heard people say "It's Maiden doing Les Miserables" and I can totally see it. It's nothing short of a masterpiece and it's one of the best songs Maiden has done in the last fifteen years. Great song!

Overall, this is an awesome album! Upon listening to it a few times, it continues to grow on me. I like it better than most Modern Maiden albums like "Dance of Death," "A Matter of Life and Death," and "The Final Frontier". Not that those albums weren't good but I just feel there is something here that is much more grander than Maiden has done in a long time. I still like "Brave New World" over it, but to be honest this one came close. It's definitely a modern Maiden album I can get behind with some of the best songs they have done in the past decade. It's simply awesome! Some of the songs could have been shorter or been given more of a kick/punch to make them stand out a bit more, but I still love it. 8/10

TOP 3 SONGS:
- The Book of Souls
- If Eternity Should Fail
- Empire of the Clouds

Last edited:
DEATH OR GLORY: Cool little fast song. When I first heard Maiden was gonna be doing a song like this and it would be about WW1 aircraft I was stoked. I was very curious how it would hold it and it actually is a pretty good song. It's very catchy. However... those lyrics... "Climb like a MONKEY..." I'm sorry that just kills it for me. It sounds way too silly. Still a good song, just wish those lyrics weren't in it.

There is a reason why they used that line, it can sound silly, but they didn't write it with no reason.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/what-the-red-baron-never-knew-22968921/?no-ist (the last paragraph)

as something very poetic and valiant heads for tragedy

Yup..the R101
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

Ok, so I just got my deluxe edition. I was afraid that they'll make me wait for a week…

I'm rather shy and quiet guy (at my worst days I have problems with ordering food in restarurant - that bad) but if someone make me angry I'm switching into something that you all know as 'Arry mode. So after my phone call on yesterday evening they send me my copy as "priority" - guy from their shop just arrived with personal appologies from shop. :D

Ok, so I just got my deluxe edition. I was afraid that they'll make me wait for a week…

I'm rather shy and quiet guy (at my worst days I have problems with ordering food in restarurant - that bad) but if someone make me angry I'm switching into something that you all know as 'Arry mode. So after my phone call on yesterday evening they send me my copy as "priority" - guy from their shop just arrived with personal appologies from shop. :D

We need that Angry 'Arry gif that NP had yesterday

Back