The Book of Souls: General album discussion

I am not a solo-loving guy. I find them adequate but rarely am I enthralled by what I am told are the great solos. But the riffs? The riffs here seem monstrous and heavy.

First full listen complete. Bold words incoming...

This is Maiden's best record since Brave New World. This might be stronger than Brave New World. This might be Maiden's best record since Seventh Son. This could be Maiden's best record of all time. I love it.

On first listen, the only songs that stood out as less great were When The River Runs Deep and Man of Sorrows. Otherwise, it's all brilliant.

Steve and Bruce are on fucking fire on this record, from performance to songwriting.

I am currently listening with great satisfaction and with headphones, to the Book of Souls album. Only got to when the river...but I'm already sold on this great album!

Mark my words, if you DONT like this album, you're not an Iron Maiden fan, simple as that. Period. End of Story!

It's actually better than I thought. I have seen some whining in some dark parts of the internet. It's now painfully obvious that it was just dime a dozen trolling. Although I might get ahead of myself, got half the album to go ha ha, maybe I hate tears of a clown or something.

I am currently listening with great satisfaction and with headphones, to the Book of Souls album. Only got to when the river...but I'm already sold on this great album!

Mark my words, if you DONT like this album, you're not an Iron Maiden fan, simple as that. Period. End of Story!
I don't want to sound like dick about that, but everyone has own opinion. :)

But yeah, after that album they should be called "Iron Maiden - blowers of minds (and nothing else!)".

I don't want to sound like dick about that, but everyone has own opinion. :)

But yeah, after that album they should be called "Iron Maiden - blowers of minds (and nothing else!)".

Normally I would give you right on that remark, but not this time! Or of course everyone might have an opinion, but some might blow!

IESF TRATB TBOS So F'IN GREAT! The others on disc 1 is good too! Not sure if I can muster another CD after this, have to take a breather!

I am not a solo-loving guy. I find them adequate but rarely am I enthralled by what I am told are the great solos. But the riffs? The riffs here seem monstrous and heavy.
I'm not real big on solos either. If Maiden put just harmonic, melodic stuff in instead of solos, I'd really love that. Similar to IESF or imagine the instrumental section of TRATB, but without the lead solos. I do love the first solo in Coming Home though because it sounds like the guitar is singing.

Well, all songs on this album are in TOP 11. Simply as that. But my TOP 3 from BoS is:

1)The Great Unknown
2)Shadows of the Valley
3)When the river runs deep

I just don't know, all songs are amazing.

I'm not real big on solos either. If Maiden put just harmonic, melodic stuff in instead of solos, I'd really love that. Similar to IESF or imagine the instrumental section of TRATB, but without the lead solos. I do love the first solo in Coming Home though because it sounds like the guitar is singing.
Even as a guitarist I could do with less solos on this album. For example I think that Dave's solo on TOAC is a bit unnecessary.

First full listen complete. Bold words incoming...

This is Maiden's best record since Brave New World. This might be stronger than Brave New World. This might be Maiden's best record since Seventh Son. This could be Maiden's best record of all time. I love it.

On first listen, the only songs that stood out as less great were When The River Runs Deep and Man of Sorrows. Otherwise, it's all brilliant.

Steve and Bruce are on fucking fire on this record, from performance to songwriting.
It certainly blows TFF out of the water. BNW remains my favorite Maiden album though.

So my current ratings of this album from best to worst (might change, BOS the song is climbing up :D):
1. EOTC
2. TOAC
3. IESF
4. BOS
5. DOG
6. SOTV
7. WTRRD
8. TMOS
9. TRATB
10. SOL
11. TGU

anyone has a feeling that second disc is produced little bit differently? especially the guitars? sounding more pleasant to my ears. or is it just songwriting style. (don't know how to explain what i am hearing. guitars are more like in Bruce's solo style, simpler way of writing songs, but more effective??)
From first disc, i think If Eternity Should Fail and Speed of Light is produced same way, as the songs from second disc.
Sorry for my english.

Well, half of them must be deaf and other half listen to youtube rip. So I don't care.

Yeah exactly, people listen to youtube rips (probably directly on their computer) and thinks its the same as actually listen to it in a quality headphones and with a proper quality sound system. It's pathetic really.

Back