The Book of Souls: General album discussion

Same here. They'll never top BNW.

Can't some believe people are saying BoS is the best Maiden album ever lol. It's good but how can you come to that conclusion within a day or even a week?
Remember, what you think the best Maiden album is, is strictly your opinion. For example, BNW is a GREAT album, but both myself and most Maiden fans consider SIT and SSOASS to be the two best. The Book of Souls is a VERY GOOD to GREAT release, so please do not hate on anyone who might think it is the best ever. Who knows? It may grow on you and take over BNW.

For me NPFTD is still my favorite album and BNW is booooring. Everyone has own opinion, BoS is in my top 3.
This is a perfect example of the subjectivity of fan's opinions on Maiden albums. NPFTD is generally not a popular choice for "great" Maiden albums. But it does have its merits and as such, should not be vilified, and anyone who likes it best should have that opinion respected. All Maiden albums are different! And that is a VERY GOOD thing.

At end of the day we all love Maiden. That's what matter. I'm not a big fan of best/worst album lists. Every single one of them has something great and something bad about them. We should ask "which album is for me fun to listen?".

Crawling out of my hole to say goddamn I love this album. It sounds like a natural progression from TFF. Janick was the surprise MVP for me.

TBoS was jam-packed with ideas, almost to a fault. Maybe if this were any other band, I'd wish they pulled back, lightened up on the gas pedal, but it's honestly so refreshing coming from Maiden. The reunion albums have their own "formula" of sorts, and while they experimented a bit with their formula in TFF, they totally threw away the rule book with TBoS and it paid off.

The second disc took a heaping shit on the first disc for me. Not even close. It's just more interesting. So many unexpected twists and turns, especially in the last three tunes. Admittedly, none of the songs imo are completely without fault, but the level of creativity and all-around quality more than compensate for me.

I'm so glad I acted with some degree of discipline and waited to hear this on vinyl. It was well worth it. 8.5/10 for me right now, but I expect the score to go up.

Highlights: Empire of the Clouds, The Man of Sorrows, The Book of Souls, Tears of a Clown, If Eternity Should Fail
I think that TBOS is more of a natural progression from AMOLAD then TFF. As a matter of fact, I think that it would have slotted in better just after BNW. Hell, it's hard to say either way lol.

- the topics get much more earthbound as the album progresses, from discussing the lofty and philosophical concepts of eternity, light speed travel, the great unknown, to the more grandiose themes of human importance and history in the middle, to sadness and depression and looking for a way out...only to take to the skies and then crash because you've become to big for your own capacity. That's heavy, folks. Also, I'm drubl.
I read the original title was From Eternity to France.

I still haven't been able to get my hands on the album. Although I've heard the album six times now, I'm waiting to hear the actual release before I comment on the tracks.

Okay. Time for some early general impressions. I'm in a bit of a foul mood after hearing Empire of the Clouds, so I would like to focus on the negatives first. It's not nice, but I have to get it off my chest :p

First of all I sense a problem regarding their approach to songwriting on this one. I have a feeling that since The Final Frontier the guys don't spend enough time crafting songs. A good, cohesive song has to mature. The approach of making everything on the go on TBoS (as pictured in the interviews) is quite ignorant, I think, and it takes its toll. It was a bad decision to just throw ideas into buckets and going "we'll figure something out." This shouldn't be a double album. They shouldn't have used whatever idea they had to make something of it no matter what, but rather than that, sit down and WORK on the best of them. There are many uninspired moments and awkward transitions on the album, because of their attempts to glue certain ideas together. There are so many signs that they wanted to get over it as quick as possible... I know they are getting older and maybe a bit bored with writing and recording, but still... They should give 100% during the creative process, not just jam-out the songs. And just to be clear - I'm not a "play classics" guy. The reunion era is absolutely my favourite (ok, along with Powerslave, SiT and SSoaSS). That's why I care.

Another thing - I don't know what's the deal with all the self-repeating. There are particularly many deja vu moments on this record. Don't they remember their own songs? :)

I'm also disappointed by the soloing. Maybe there was one by Adrian that stood out, but I don't remember which song that was. Besides, is it me or drumming is also underwhelming? Beats and especially fills are very similar throughout the album. I might be unfair at this point, though, because these days I listen mostly to music with different style of drumming.

As for production - I don't know whether or not I should comment on it yet. I haven't yet focused on the sound enough, but I think it's fine. It's different than the other albums. I like it more than the sound of TFF, but I don't know if I prefer it over BNW or AMoLaD).

Wow, I guess it looks like I hated the album, but it's not like that. I'm very forgiving to Maiden - my favourite band of all time - and I know I will enjoy TBoS a lot. I just think it objectively has some very vivid flaws. I'll focus on positives in the track by track breakdown. I don't like rating Maiden, but if i had to, I guess the album would be a 7/10 at this point.

Ill-disciplined probably due to Harris' absence, physically, mentally and emotionally.
I've got it 14th, above the Blaze albums, but at least they were original, so it could fall.

First of all I sense a problem regarding their approach to songwriting on this one. I have a feeling that since The Final Frontier the guys don't spend enough time crafting songs. A good, cohesive song has to mature.

I think this album is vastly more cohesive than The Final Frontier or Dance of Death. Everything sounds like a song to me, and not a bunch of parts like The Final Frontier.

Well, it's been 2 weeks since I'm away from the forum 'cos there were even more crap uttered on the pre album release thread and I managed to read 'til page 313. I noticed most people couldn't resist the leak and, although some opinions were pretty 'to the point', most were fanboy drooling or 80's widows hatred poured into the forum.

I went yesterday afternoon to a shopping mall (Saraiva Megastore) to buy the album (I phoned before to know if the physical cd was available and so it was) and there's nothing more pleasant than to go to a store and buy a new Iron Maiden studio album (hope it continues for some years more). I listened to the opus only once, on the stereo at my mother's house and I'm a few minutes from listening to it on my earphones 'cos there's really a lot to be understood about this record, but, here is my first impression:

It's still hard to give an opinion about The Book Of Souls! Lots of elements which are common to the band, common to traditional Heavy Metal (Helloween is one that came to mind several times during first listen, like in When The River Runs Deep which made me associate it with Save Us, though it's not rip off or the like) and to progs of oldies (Empire Of The Clouds reminds me of Van Der Graaf Generator, as I had imagined, like The Emperor In His War Room, with melodies and cadences à la Jethro Tull, but there's much more to absorb about it 'cos it is a visual experience, too. It didn't seem it has 18 minutes at all). On the other hand, I hear AOR elements and 80's prog resulting in new musical structures for Maiden, specially in Tears Of A Clown e The Man Of Sorrows (Marillion/Asia/Phenomena/Journey/Survivor); there's one of these two which is Burning Heart to the bones! Sometimes, seems stuff Adrian wrote for ASAP and dug up from his home recordings! If Eternity Should Fail reminds me - apart from the unique Maiden elements - Marillion and Black Sabbath from Headless Cross/TYR era and the production has this late 80's production element and those 'synths' and keyboards that tie very well the sound musically and sonically. Noticed loads of effects, loads of different rigs used by the 3 guitarrists and up til now, they are the highlight of the album; I didn't digest, yet, the vocal measure on some of Steve's songs where he makes Bruce superpose the words to make it to the end of the meter and it leads Bruce to operate miracles to resolve the phrasing.

I read people saying 'it's the best since 7th Son', 'it's a classic' or 'it's shit', 'it's junk', but, it's just too much sound to determinate what is and what isn't in one listening. Somethings didn't fall well at first such as The Red And The Black and as it talks about gambling/luck/bad luck, its older cousin The Angel And The Gambler sounds much better! This is serious candidate of Steve Harris less inspired moment!

That's what I have to say about the album for now. Gonna put it on the earphones and explore what these songs have closer.

Last edited:
Well, I just play my cd and I'm so happy - it sound so much better than crappy leak! I love it even more.

So happy to get the lyric sheet.
The lyrics have always been a big part of Maiden for me and the words will definitely expand my appreciation for some songs.

I am in absolute love with this album. It personally makes my top 5 and I would rate it as the best reunion album.

One thing I particularly feel is that this album manages to get both the long and the short songs right. The proggier fans have some massive tunes to sink into but there's some very catchy shorter tunes as well. In terms of a preferred disc, I'm not sure I have one:

01 - IESF - Massive opener. A chorus to sing to on the very first listen.
02 - SOL - Much better than when I first heard it as a single. I think having such an interesting video potentially distracted from the song itself, and it works extremely well as track 2.
03 - TGU - The song I would consider the most filler, but I am not even sure why.
04 - TRATB - A grower. Very catchy guitar parts and I imagine it wold be awesome live.
05 - WTRRD - I honestly expected this to have a better reaction than it has gotten. I find it very catchy the whole way through and like the chorus in particular.
06 - TBOS - A grower as well. I am only really starting to get it, I think.

07 - DOG - Great, catchy song. More proof that Maiden can still do short songs well.
08 - SOTV - I really like this song. Everything about it is enjoyable (can't get the post chorus riff out of my head) and the ending in particular rocks. Why don't people like it?
09 -TOAC - Seems to be a favourite here so I don't need to justify it too much. Great song.
10 - MOS - Alongside TGU this is one that hasn't yet grown on me apart from particularly liking the intro.
11 - EOTC - Absolutely stunning. I rank it as potentially my favourite song the band have ever done.

So... over time BOS the song proved to be a major grower... It's in my top two (along with EOTC) and I'm listening to it on repeat. Sadly can't say that for TRATB...

Destruction begins...:edmetal:

I think that TBOS is more of a natural progression from AMOLAD then TFF. As a matter of fact, I think that it would have slotted in better just after BNW. Hell, it's hard to say either way lol.

I've been seeing people say that a lot, but I don't hear nearly as much AMOLAD as I do TFF with the exception of EotC outright lifting a guitar line from The Legacy.

Side note: while I praised Maiden's creativity, I couldn't believe how many times it sounded like they had ripped themselves off.

Last edited:
Back