The Book of Souls: General album discussion

Janick's soloing is excellent on this album. He definitely has been consciously trying to improve and perhaps taking lessons from someone. I'm very impressed. And Adrian's solos are just out of this world.

I simply cannot stop listening to this album over and over. I don't think since S.I.T. have I been struck by music in this way. I was weak but for those of you who are waiting until Friday, prepare to be blown away. That is not hyperbole it's THAT good. Now easily second on my list all time.

Hell, I read some of lyrics from that album and I have only one question.

WHAT THE HELL

They're amazing. And every time since AMOLAD maiden put new album lyrics are just getin better and better. Like here:
Prophecy of sky gods, the sun and moon/
Passing of old ways will come true soon/

Falling of ages, forest of kings/
The search for the truth, the book of souls

I was weak but for those of you who are waiting until Friday, prepare to be blown away. That is not hyperbole it's THAT good.

My pre-order arrived today. I was preparing to be blown away. And I absolutely was. Simply amazing.

Of all Maiden albums, this has been my favourite "first listen". I look forward to seeing where it settles in my Top 10...

Janick's soloing is excellent on this album. He definitely has been consciously trying to improve and perhaps taking lessons from someone. I'm very impressed. And Adrian's solos are just out of this world.
yep. if anything, it feels like Davey's the one slacking a bit...

there's a lot of digital editing and timewarping on the record, mostly apparent on the longer tracks (I'm trying to give Nicko a little credit here, he couldn't be playing some of these parts this inconsistently)... this is the kind of re-arranging that should have gone on in the demoing phase, which they skipped. I don't buy the "keeping it fresh" argument, they just couldn't do the extra work and decided to fix it in post.

i love the sound though, especially the guitars. and at least 2/3 of the album (around one hour!) is on par with anything they've done post-2000. a great comeback after TFF, can't wait for my vinyl :)

Is there anyone else here who has problems with the BOS album. I have listened to it over and over again but I can't get into it and I think the production, guitar solos, drums and bruce's voice sounds horrible.

OK. Where do I begin with this.
Just finished listening to the whole album from start to finish for the first time.
First of all I have to say it is their best album (imo) since SSOSSS.
There is very little or no filler on the album.
Bruce really shines on this album with his two singular written songs being instant classics. His vocal performance is superb also.
In fact all the Maiden guys should be commended for creating this juggernaut of an album.
Initial highlights are IESF, DOG, TOAC and EOTC.
The whole album concept and packaging is really impressive as well.
I feel like Maiden have created an amazing album and long may it continue.:)
10/10

Is there anyone else here who has problems with the BOS album. I have listened to it over and over again but I can't get into it and I think the production, guitar solos, drums and bruce's voice sounds horrible.
Everything you're saying, I feel the exact opposite. Sorry, I think it's you.
Or you have a shitty leak.

I started reading lyrics to all the songs and they're so complex that's amazing.

Highlight of the album for me is EOTC. I love this story.

Guys i havent got the album yet but heard the leak. One thing that stood out through the headphone is the volume of the solos. Sometimes it would be loud and sometimes not. How is it in the original disc? Is the mixing or rather should i say mastering of the tracks same as the leaked files?

Yeah, I'm not loving the production too much. Guitars are too far to the back of the mix and the vocals are loud but the words aren't clear. Still, I'm not going to make too much of a fuss about it. I'm just chuffed there's an album at all!

Dave's solos arent clear at all. I think he played very half assed in this album and made worse by the mixing. Janick played quite good and Adrian was awesome.

Was really looking forward to this album since BNW, DoD and AMOLAD are all great great albums! TFF had it`s strong part as well, so I was very much looking forward to BoS!

I`ve now given BoS 4 listenes (number 5 going on right now). So here is my humble opinion.

1. If eternity should fall: A good song. Some great melodies and awesome vocals. 7/10
2. Speed of light: Boring, "heard it before", awful verse, bad chorus. 3/10
3. The great unknown: An OK song, but nothing special that gets my attention. 4/10
4. The red and the black: I see people are split on this one. For me it was one of the strongest tracks of the album. Yeah, sure the "woah woah" part is cheesy as hell, but it`ll be great live and I LOVED the last half of the song. Suffers from a feeling of copy/paste in the production. But there are some great guitarlines and singing in this one. The verse reminds me of RoTAM! 8/10
5. When the river runs deep: Yet again another OK, song. Its not bad. But it doesn`t even come close to getting me to want to put it on again. The chorus, to me, is flat out boring. 4/10
6. The book of souls: This gave me goosebumps! Or at least the pre-chorus and chorus did! The verse is good and I like the guitar/bass riffs after the intro. But again, The chours of this song hit a spot in me. Best song of the album, hands down! 9/10
7. Death or glory: What is this? No prayer for the dying all over again? Some cool guitar-lines but come on. The chorus is embarrassing! 3/10
8. Shadows of the valley: Good song, even though intro is a "wasted years" rip of, only worse. (love wasted years btw) Cool verse on this song and I like the chorus as well, even though it`s nothing near spectacular. 6/10
9. Tears of a clown: Cool riffs, beautiful chorus but for me the lyrics is beyond wrong for this album. A song about Robin Williams? I mean, sure he was a great guy but lyrically it has nothing to do on this album imo. 6/10
9. The man of sorrows: This song for me is a complete failure! The verse has some weird and improvised sounding melodies. Chorus is "ok" but does little for me. Some great guitar fills here and there, but sorry... 3/10
10. Empire of the clouds: Great song! Loving the lyrics and piano/violin intro is beautiful. I miss a GREAT/EPIC chorus on this song. 8/10

Solos on the album: Not ONE... not ONE solo made any great impression... I mean... look at some of the soloing on Brave new world, Powerslave, Somewhere in time and even A matter of life and death. Then compare it to this album... :(

Im very disappointed about this album. But Im very glad the title track, EoTC and TRATB made it worth the buy.

All in all, this is by far Maidens weakest album, and the production does not help. Even though Bruce sounds amazing at times! I give this album 6/10. That is bad, since my least favorite album after this (no prayer for the dying) gets a 7/10.

Got my hands today on the deluxe edition, can't wait to hear it on my home audio later in the evening... The pleasure for me is undescribable, as I resisted - 1st, the leak and 2nd, today playing it at work on my headphones. I'll have an unforgettable listening experience, I'm sure. And I hope my wife won't be too upset with me not paying attention to her this evening :bigsmile:

And guys, all of you who didn't have the will and listened to the leak, imagine the following situation: you chased the cutest girl you've ever seen and dated her after 5 years of fruitless efforts. She gave you so strong signals for the last 2 months, that you are absolutely sure you'll have a fantastic affair with her. But a week prior to the date, you were mailed a package saying it contains the hottest A4 format naked pics of hers you've ever dreamt of. You did not resist and opened the package and indeed - there she was in the most inviting poses... And what you did was to :censored: for a whole week, while staring at her pics... Now the evening has come, she is even more glorious and fancy than you thought, you even make great sex with her later that night. But you are already emotionally tired and you think you've already known her and she's not that interesting to you...

Yes, this what I think you did...

And I resisted.

Cheers mates and Up the Irons!!!

Back