The 2011 Tour Thread! (SPOILERS)

Is everything about the tour exactly the way you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • I'm not sure what I want

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
Ranko said:
I heard a pretty reliable rumour (coming from a person who talked to someone from the Killer Crew) - there will be another leg of the tour next year, focusing on the USA and Canada (June - July) and then likely a brief stint through European open air festivals in August.
Bruce has already said they will. Before Sonisphere UK last year he did an interview with BBC Radio 1's Daniel P Carter in which he said something along the lines of "Once we've finished touring the album we'll come back with another tour where we'll play all the hits". I was actually expecting them to headline Download festival next June but if you've been told they'll be in North America at that time it obviously won't happen.

Black Wizard said:
Bruce has already said they will. Before Sonisphere UK last year he did an interview with BBC Radio 1's Daniel P Carter in which he said something along the lines of "Once we've finished touring the album we'll come back with another tour where we'll play all the hits". I was actually expecting them to headline Download festival next June but if you've been told they'll be in North America at that time it obviously won't happen.

Well, that's what the guy said, generally. Maybe it will be May-June and then mid-July to August in Europe. Although, from what I understood, it's supposed to be not a greatest hits tour, but the North American leg of the TFF tour.

As always, we'll have to wait and see, no sense in theorizing too much about it.

Maiden needs to refresh their "classic" section of the setlist, why for all these years since Bruce and Adrian came back, they play lots of old classics like Killers, Stranger In A Strange Land, Charlotte the Harlot, 22 Acacia Avenue, Bring Your Daughter to the slaughter only once? Aren't these songs are classics? If 22 acacia avenue or children of the damned will be played instead of RTTH and TNOB, or Die With Your Boots On instead of The Trooper -  reaction of fans shall be decrease? I don't think so. maybe I'm wrong - correct me, but I'm thing that every song from TOTB and POM that played live is classic for all time of metal. Why they play only fear of the dark from selftitled album, is't that will be cool to see Be Quick Or Be Dead as an opener, and to hear Afraid To Shoot Strangers will be fantastic. And what about Blaze era? One song from that period for the greater set list. And why the did't play any song from AMOLAD on last leg of tour, Benjamin Breeg must be an optimal choice, and I still don't understand why they did't play Starblind, which is seem one of the fan favorite songs on the last album, my personal wish that they play journeyman, paschendale and STARBLIND with Montsegur wich is a killer song... but some people waiting for 25 years that they will hear Alexander The Great...

Maiden have big catalog of great songs and still very f*ckin often we hear these 9 songs, " ... tell me whyyyyy" They throw out 1000 suns and Paschendale - why? I'd like to see TT and 23:58. But refresh their set list is one of the main thing. Even Metallica did't play Nothing Else Matters during this year shows in Europe. Maiden is far greater band and still they have this not so good kind of playing overplay classic songs. Or sometimes they play a few of them like AMOLAD tour and first night of TFF tour in dallas - and these are on of the greatest set lists that they played. Give Me Ed till I'm Dead, 2005 world tour and of course Somewhere Back In Time we amazing tours with great setlists. But give us a little balance between new and old material, not often played old classics and new songs like Rainmaker, 1000 Suns, etc. But in my humble opinion they need to refresh 80 % of the setlists... Or maybe they to old to relearn these songs that they did not play for 5- 10 yeras. hoping and waiting for something special during next year is yet to come. And now waiting for new DVD from TFF tour...  (P.S. sorry for my not so good english)

Personally I'd drop 'The Number of The Beast' and 'Iron Maiden' because I've seen those songs five times now and 'Run to the Hills' only once. Bring that back and a few wilcards.

Black Wizard said:
Personally I'd drop 'The Number of The Beast' and 'Iron Maiden' because I've seen those songs five times now and 'Run to the Hills' only once. Bring that back and a few wilcards.

They're hardly likely to drop their signature song. And 'Beast' is always fun for the effects at least. And it's one of the songs most associated with the band, so don't see why they'd drop it

Revelationer said:
(P.S. sorry for my not so good english)

Your English was great bro! You speak English as a second language better than a lot of people here do as a first language.  :edmetal:

Also, I agree with every word you said. I think Maiden have got so many good songs now that they'll always be disappointing someone with their setlist; they have to leave out so many great songs in order to play a 2 hour set.

I think as a matter of principle, they should stick (at least) one song in every tour that makes you think "****! Never saw that coming!". Lord of the Flies had that effect on the Death on the Road Tour. How cool would it have been if The Prisoner or Infinite Dreams would have found its way into the set just after The Talisman?!?

I hate the Metallica comparison, but they are a great band for throwing in the odd curveball. When they played Blackened and Shortest Straw at Sonisphere this year, I nearly died from bliss overload.

Robbiedbee said:
I think as a matter of principle, they should stick (at least) one song in every tour that makes you think "****! Never saw that coming!". Lord of the Flies had that effect on the Death on the Road Tour. How cool would it have been if The Prisoner or Infinite Dreams would have found its way into the set just after The Talisman?!?
Charlotte The Harlot in 2005
Whole of AMOLAD in 2006
Moonchild in 2008
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns in 2010 (Okay it wasn't played much, but they tried)

Maybe not ones you'd never see coming, but still nice suprises

seely said:
Charlotte The Harlot in 2005
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns in 2010 (Okay it wasn't played much, but they tried)

Maybe not ones you'd never see coming, but still nice suprises

I saw them at Leeds Festival in 05, and Sonisphere in 2010, so I didn't hear those ones. You're right about Moonchild, it was definitely my highlight of that night.

When you say "they tried", did they drop it because it wasn't working out? I don't know the story behind it. Was it dropped for Benjamin Breeg?

Robbiedbee said:
I saw them at Leeds Festival in 05, and Sonisphere in 2010, so I didn't hear those ones. You're right about Moonchild, it was definitely my highlight of that night.

When you say "they tried", did they drop it because it wasn't working out? I don't know the story behind it. Was it dropped for Benjamin Breeg?

It was dropped for Wratchild. Benjamin Breeg was already in the set. From what I understand, it was dropped becuase it wasn't working too well live, but I could be wrong, another forumer might be able to help

charlotte the harlot was played in 2005 only for the two first shows of the tour in Czech Republic and Poland. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was played only once in 2010 in Dallas, and both songs were replaced by Wrathchild - a very "equivalent" change of songs and very sad. And very low chances to seen it live. So, I remember in the bonus section of Rock In Rio dvd, Davey says that when they played Run To The Hills in some South America dates (it was not played for the rest of the world during that time) they even don repeat this song in the rehearsals, they just step on the stage and played it, so now the question why in Belfast, when they didn't play TT, the didn't misplace it by Wrathchild or Run To The Hills, was it about so "difficult" lights during that songs, well during the RTTH they used a special backdrop, but I think everyone deserves the same portion of 16 songs... they know these songs perfectly and can accurately play them even after worst hangover. Or was just simpler to skip the song and play next?

Robbiedbee said:
Your English was great bro! You speak English as a second language better than a lot of people here do as a first language.  :edmetal:
thanks, mate. I've appreciate this.

seely said:
They're hardly likely to drop their signature song. And 'Beast' is always fun for the effects at least. And it's one of the songs most associated with the band, so don't see why they'd drop it
I don't think many people would expected them to drop 'Run to the Hills', their best known song, either.

It's definitely a shame but it's worth remembering that a fair percentage of people going to a Maiden concert are likely to be nostalgia fans who only want to hear the same old 80s classics, whilst there's no doubt that Run to the Hills, The Trooper and other such songs are fantastic it would certainly be much more interesting to hear other songs from that period like Children of the Damned and Stranger in a Strange land more often, to name but two.

You know what? All those "Play Classics! Nostalgia" fans are a very loud, very small minority. At least in Europe. Case in point: People know Maiden will put heavy emphasis on their album material on their album tours. First, they have always done so, and second, there's more than enough live albums from recent tours that will document this for you. Yet, their gigs always sell out. Second, for the fact that people are there for their so-called classic material, it was pretty loud at the O2 when they played Dance of Death, Coming Home or When the Wild Wind Blows.

Yes, I've seen those Play Classics! people at gigs, standing far at the back with folded arms waiting for Run to the Hills to be played and pointing their middle finger at the stage when it wasn't. Some even make it up front at times. But I'd place any bet that they won't be coming to a Maiden gig again. So, apart from this fluctuating mass of people who are evidently not very many, most people are definitely not nostalgia fans. And therefore, I don't think Play Classics! people should be respected in any way.

Let's take a look at my post of February the 2nd, and see how well I could estimate the setlist.

Forostar said:
Note: I have the idea that if Maiden wants to add some classics, that no songs will be played from either A Matter of Life and Death either Dance of Death, or even both.

Correct. Maiden didn't play anything from A Matter of Life and Death.

Forostar said:
I am 100% sure that at least one Brave New World song will stay in the set, and that there will not be any nineties songs apart from Fear of the Dark.

Correct.

Forostar said:
Biggest chance is option one: No A Matter of Life and Death songs.

Correct.

Forostar said:
Reason: Breeg is the most likely song to be chosen, but then there'd be too many songs with long intros. Besides, if The Evil That Men Do will return (big chance!), that intro sounds too similar, and The Talisman and WTWWB, and FOTD also all have such long calm intros.

Superb analysis.  B) 100% correct.

Forostar said:
Here we go, place your bets!

1: Satellite 15 (tape) / The Final Frontier
2: El Dorado
3: The Trooper
4: The Wicker Man
5: The Talisman (early in the set because it demands a lot from Bruce's voice)
6. Run to the Hills
7: Coming Home
8: Wildest Dreams
9: When The Wild Wind Blows
10: The Evil That Men Do
11: 2 Minutes to Midnight
12: Fear Of The Dark
13: Iron Maiden
- - - - - - -
14: The Number of the Beast
15: Hallowed Be Thy Name  
16: Running Free

14 out of 16 songs correct, only 2 songs wrong. Maiden played (Dance of Death & Blood Brothers instead of Run to the Hills & Wildest Dreams).

Do I know my Maiden after 20 years or don't I?  B)

(We could also ask: does Maiden's set get more and more predictable with every tour?)

That's what I'd call a textbook example of a very-fucking-educated guess.

Heh.

Don't take these  B) smileys and boasty nature of that post too seriously though.
I try not to do such a style too often. ;)

You know what? Iron Maiden could play any setlist and I'd still go to see them, even if it was 'No Prayer fro the Dying' (my least favourite Maiden album) in its entirety. There are songs that I want to see and it's slightly disappointing when they don't play the ones I want to see but at the end of the day it's Maiden and most of their songs are awesome anyway, plus they know how to put on a show. So whether they play 'Run to the Hills' or 'The Assassin' on their next tour I'll still try to be there.

Back