The 2011 Tour Thread! (SPOILERS)

Is everything about the tour exactly the way you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • I'm not sure what I want

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
We can moan and groan all we like about what is played and what isn't, but Maiden will always play what they ENJOY playing simple as, BTW Starblind is not my favourite from the new album, and the five that they played a few weeks ago were brilliant and I don't recall anyone at the gig complaining because Starblind and other classics you mentioned were not played, of all the fellow fans I spoke to before and after the gig I don't recall if Starblind was even mention. What evidence have you got that this is the fan favourite on the new album ?, Maiden were probally not that fussed about Starblind or we would have heard it ? and in my opinion they choose the five most likely stronger songs from the new album that fans would want to hear on stage ie, Final Frontier, El Dorado, Coming Home, When The Wind Blows and the mighty Talisman. Although i do recal conversation from my fellow fans that they wished that Avalon was played, but three epics would be pushing it IMO !!  :shred:

Also people like yourself moan and groan because they don't shuffle the setlist around etc and play different songs during the tour, but THEY DON'T NEED TO, they have a winner formula, they sell out !! So 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it' :) although If they didn't sell out all there gigs it would be interesting to see what they would do though ? Up The Irons  :rocker:

Revelationer said:
Maiden needs to refresh their "classic" section of the setlist, why for all these years since Bruce and Adrian came back, they play lots of old classics like Killers, Stranger In A Strange Land, Charlotte the Harlot, 22 Acacia Avenue, Bring Your Daughter to the slaughter only once? Aren't these songs are classics? If 22 acacia avenue or children of the damned will be played instead of RTTH and TNOB, or Die With Your Boots On instead of The Trooper -  reaction of fans shall be decrease? I don't think so. maybe I'm wrong - correct me, but I'm thing that every song from TOTB and POM that played live is classic for all time of metal. Why they play only fear of the dark from selftitled album, is't that will be cool to see Be Quick Or Be Dead as an opener, and to hear Afraid To Shoot Strangers will be fantastic. And what about Blaze era? One song from that period for the greater set list. And why the did't play any song from AMOLAD on last leg of tour, Benjamin Breeg must be an optimal choice, and I still don't understand why they did't play Starblind, which is seem one of the fan favorite songs on the last album, my personal wish that they play journeyman, paschendale and STARBLIND with Montsegur wich is a killer song... but some people waiting for 25 years that they will hear Alexander The Great...

Maiden have big catalog of great songs and still very f*ckin often we hear these 9 songs, " ... tell me whyyyyy" They throw out 1000 suns and Paschendale - why? I'd like to see TT and 23:58. But refresh their set list is one of the main thing. Even Metallica did't play Nothing Else Matters during this year shows in Europe. Maiden is far greater band and still they have this not so good kind of playing overplay classic songs. Or sometimes they play a few of them like AMOLAD tour and first night of TFF tour in dallas - and these are on of the greatest set lists that they played. Give Me Ed till I'm Dead, 2005 world tour and of course Somewhere Back In Time we amazing tours with great setlists. But give us a little balance between new and old material, not often played old classics and new songs like Rainmaker, 1000 Suns, etc. But in my humble opinion they need to refresh 80 % of the setlists... Or maybe they to old to relearn these songs that they did not play for 5- 10 yeras. hoping and waiting for something special during next year is yet to come. And now waiting for new DVD from TFF tour...  (P.S. sorry for my not so good english)

I think one has to understand where individual fans are coming from before judging them as "nostalgia" fans.

I can only speak for myself when I say that --what I wanted to hear before I saw Maiden live (i.e. for the very first time, just there on TFF tour, in Glasgow) is not the same now that I've seen them. There are many factors coming into play.

For a start, all the live albums are highly influential in shaping what people, who have never actually seen/heard Maiden before, think Maiden live is going to be. For me, starting to listen to Maiden in the early 90's, Donnington was now; LAD was "classic"; & stuff like Maiden England I hadn't heard yet. With only these templates to go on, it's easy to have false expectations; whether good or bad --& in repect to more than just the setlist, which is currently the focus of this discussion.

It was (at the time) easy to forget (or realise) that for fans in 1984/85 all those Powerslave tracks were not "classics" --they were new. Additionally anything "classic" was hardly (from a recording perspective) old. It's hard, besides those who remember those days, for anyone to put themselves back in that time --when nothing was really old; nothing was "classic", in comparison to the meaning of that word today; and there was no massive back catalogue.

I also didn't really think about how much on the Donnington setlist was actually really new. It didn't dawn on me, when they opened with it, that Be Quick or be Dead was brand new; this just didn't seem to register with me back then. A lack of perspective is pretty easy to harbour when you're young.

As Maiden have got older that back catalogue has grown. Some songs (maybe singles, maybe just tracks that worked great live) have stuck; become mainstays. And the more of these they gather with each new album & tour, the harder it gets to juggle the old with the new & keep everyone happy.

People emotionally invest in the songs that mean something to them. Some songs maybe embody Maiden for them; the energy; the guitar playing; the "epic"; maybe Bruce's singing; or maybe something else.

Point is, when you've never seen Maiden before, and you aren't sure how many more times you might see them --you're torn. Torn between all those songs you've, rather compulsively, ingrained in your "must see live" head list --& the wish to see some new material live. There were songs I just had to see live; or so I thought. Songs I've grown up with. But, once I'd seen them live (e.g. The Trooper), and the realisation struck that there would be other opportunities to see these type of songs --I rather regret missing some of the new material, as you will never (probably, like after every tour) see any of this live again. For example, I love AMOLOD --but I've missed that now. When am I going to see any of that stuff live now? Point is, I should have realised this before I went. The wiser of you, or those who have seen Maiden many times, know this. But, regardless of how long you've been listening to Maiden (like me) you don't necessarily realise this until you've seen them.

Another factor is, now, coming into play though. As the years roll on, it really will be the case (in five years say?) that you might not ever see Maiden again --& people get desperate & want to hear everything. I might realistically get to see Maiden another 3, maybe 4 times. I'm going to enjoy everything I can that they chose to play. Those who have seen them many times are the lucky ones.

To counter...

maidenpriest said:
they have a winner formula, they sell out !! So 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it' :) although If they didn't sell out all there gigs it would be interesting to see what they would do though ? Up The Irons  :rocker:

winner formula was for those tours like in 2005 and 2008\2009 - so these tours were to please all, included "play classic fans" and tour like. And 2006 and 2010 tours was in anothers situation. When they played whole AMOLAD wasn't their shows sold out? When in 2010 they play 8 songs from BNW, DOD and AMOLAD + El Dorado was that setlist to please all fans and "play classics fans". And maybe the last ones began to moan and groan about that they wouldn't listen their favorite songs like TT and RTTH. And as the Mike Portnoy says about this : "I can understand that fans want to hear the hits, but I can understand that Maiden don't want to be stuck playing the same songs for the rest of their lives. They put out new music so they want to play the new music."

maidenpriest said:
and in my opinion they choose the five most likely stronger songs from the new album that fans would want to hear on stage ie, Final Frontier, El Dorado, Coming Home, When The Wind Blows and the mighty Talisman...

you really think that The Final Frontier and El Dorado are in strongest 5 of the album?

You'll need to wait until I've had my tea...
The problem with your "Maiden don't want to be stuck playing the same songs for the rest of their lives" quote Revelationer (which I presume you're in agreement with) --is the implication that their general format avoids this. It doesn't --since they still play loads of tracks they've played before. The general opinion of the forum seems to be that they could avoid the problem (of above) & still play older tunes --by simply playing different older tracks.

Black Wizard said:
Personally I'd drop 'The Number of The Beast' and 'Iron Maiden' because I've seen those songs five times now and 'Run to the Hills' only once. Bring that back and a few wilcards.

It always surprises me when people hope they will drop Iron Maiden and/or Hallowed Be Thy Name. They will always play those two songs. Always. ALWAYS. It's written in the stars.

The Number of the Beast also seems to be a certainty, even though they skipped it in 06. I will however never again say that Beast is overplayed and a boring choice (I said it before I saw them in 08 and before I saw them this year, it turned out to be one of the highlights of the show both times). The intro makes the place go crazy, the scream is a highlight. The rest is a joy to witness. Everybody going crazy jumping etc. Sensational live song.

What about a setlist like that ? Not going to happen, I know, but..

1. The Wicker Man (Brave New World) - 4:35
2. Brave New World (Brave New World) - 6:18
3. Sea of Madness (Somewhere in Time) - 5:42
4. Sign of the Cross (The X Factor) - 11:17
5. Still Life (Piece of Mind) - 4:53
6. The Duellists (Powerslave) - 6:06
7. Caught Somewhere in Time (Somewhere in Time) - 7:26
8. Paschendale (Dance of Death) - 8:28
9. The Clairvoyant (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) - 4:27
10. Starblind (The Final Frontier) - 7:48
11. Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Fear of the Dark) - 6:56
12. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (A Matter of Life and Death) - 7:22
13. Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden) - 3:35

Encore

14. Children of the Damned (The Number of the Beast) - 4:35
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name (The Number of the Beast) - 7:12
16. Running Free (Iron Maiden) : 3:17

What about one-song-per-album+mandatory-Iron-Maiden-song setlist? :D

Suggestion:

01. Man On The Edge
02. Wrathchild
03. Phantom Of The Opera
04. Wasted Years
05. Lord Of Light
06. Out Of The Silent Planet
07. The Talisman
08. Futureal
09. Powerslave
10. The Trooper
11. Dance Of Death
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden
-
14. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
15. Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name

The Flash said:

13. Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden) - 3:35

Encore

14. Children of the Damned (The Number of the Beast) - 4:35
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name (The Number of the Beast) - 7:12
16. Running Free (Iron Maiden) : 3:17
Good god. That would be incredible.

The Flash said: