Sweden says NO to no classics! Ullevi still not even close to sold out

I really find not playing lt inexcusable. They even made a big deal about it on thier. It was also no better time than the 30th anniversery of the debut. Was really a once in a lifetime moment ruined.

I have a feeling deep inside that whilst Steve is a metal genius at times when it comes to composing songs he is a little serious and not as spontaneous as say Bruce. And as quasi-leader of the band he may not have wanted to tamper with the setlist. The guitarists could have pulled of such a simple song no worries and even if they did mess up it would have been a laugh to them. But I can imagine Steve getting embarassed if they messed it up. 

I would be intrested in seeing Steve let the others have a bigger say in what happens in the band. I think we would get some intresting setlists among other things

For whatever reason the band does not like to change set-lists.  The rare change between PFD and DOD last tour is an exception.  Boy has this thread taken a new turn.

but to add Transylvania wouldn't be too much. In south america in 2OO1 they did OOTSP and angel.

Not South America. They did both in London, in Mexico (North America), and only in Argentina, in South America. The Fallen Angel had been already played in St. Etienne and some other gigs on the first 2 months of the tour.

Jeffmetal said:
Not South America. They did both in London, in Mexico (North America), and only in Argentina, in South America.
that would make sense as those arn't in Rock in Rio. Another example is RTTH at Rio. Very special concert and thus decided to play a special song. Transylvania, equally special concert no obvious special song.

I dunno, headlining to 250,000 people > playing in a place where you conveniently have a song of the same name.

If they played Mongolia would they have to play Genghis Khan. They've never played Alex in Greece. When they play Glasgow, they don't necessarily play The Clansman.

The band doesn't seem to go for a "cheap pop".  That is, they won't be necessarily playing a local song if it isn't part of their regular set list.  I like that about them though.  They stick to their guns.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Maiden played their rare songs, but make them a semi-regular part of their set-list, and not just a special place song, e.g. Alex in Greece.

The differance between ATG in Greece and Transylvania in Romania is they made a huge deal about the fact that they were going to play at Transylvania. They made it sound like they were going to play the song and led people to believe they were. It shouldn't have been as hyped up as it was.

Even opening the Transylvania show with the pre-recorded version (as they did on SBIT) with imagery from the tour or a montage of all Eddies would have been quite cool...even easy to do.

BTW - I'm not at all complaining about the setlists that the band continuously produce (particularly AMOLAD) and I cannot wait for the two Sydney shows in Feb next year.

PS - for those who saw Maiden earlier this year just after Paschendale was pulled from the setlist I feel for you.  I saw Maiden in Washington DC in 87 and it was the first show of the tour in which they stopped playing Sea of Madness.  That still hurts me to this day. :(

Don Dokken said:
The differance between ATG in Greece and Transylvania in Romania is they made a huge deal about the fact that they were going to play at Transylvania. They made it sound like they were going to play the song and led people to believe they were. It shouldn't have been as hyped up as it was.

I did not know that.  That is unfair to the fans. 

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
PS - for those who saw Maiden earlier this year just after Paschendale was pulled from the setlist I feel for you.  I saw Maiden in Washington DC in 87 and it was the first show of the tour in which they stopped playing Sea of Madness.  That still hurts me to this day. :(

The night I saw them on the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour they dropped Still Life, for some inexplicable reason (actually it was probably a time constraint, after all they needed to fit Bruce's story about the 7th son in).

Jeffmetal said:
Romania was a special gig enough to play Transylvania. Minus big one for Maiden on this fail.

In principle, you're right.

Being in my home country, I of course attended the gig, but with zero expectations related to the possible addition of Transylvania in the set list, to be honest.

I'm just glad they did a complete set at Denver. In 2OO3 they dropped 3 songs.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Yet he allows Janick to play some of Adrian's solos and butcher them.

Good point. Now that they seem to be playing a decent number of post-2000 songs, I think H should have those solos back (like Hallowed, and Revelations if they play it again). Janick would still get a fair number of solos.

So this gig was a huge success. Watched some of it on youtube and the turn out was huge. I'd like to think that Play Classics would be man enough to come on here and say he was completely wrong but I won't be holding my breath.

snake plissken said:
So this gig was a huge success. Watched some of it on youtube and the turn out was huge. I'd like to think that Play Classics would be man enough to come on here and say he was completely wrong but I won't be holding my breath.

Was he banned at one point?

Back