Sweden says NO to no classics! Ullevi still not even close to sold out

Dityn DJ James said:
Was he banned at one point?

Not sure dude. Wouldn't want to see the lad banned but I would like him to man up and admit that The Final Frontier gig in Ullevi last night was an outstanding success.

snake plissken said:
So this gig was a huge success. Watched some of it on youtube and the turn out was huge. I'd like to think that Play Classics would be man enough to come on here and say he was completely wrong but I won't be holding my breath.

The turnout was huge, yes, but the Swedish press correctly noted that the show didn't come off until the last hour due to too much new songs being played, and the crowd refusing to get into it.  Same old story.  Not as bad as the AMOLAD tour disaster, but Maiden keep wasting opportunities for legendary shows by stubbornly refusing to realise their prime is past and play more classics.

Play Classics! said:
but Maiden keep wasting opportunities for legendary shows by stubbornly refusing to realise their prime is past and play more classics.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :bigsmile:

Play Classics! said:
The turnout was huge, yes, but the Swedish press correctly noted that the show didn't come off until the last hour due to too much new songs being played, and the crowd refusing to get into it.  Same old story.  Not as bad as the AMOLAD tour disaster, but Maiden keep wasting opportunities for legendary shows by stubbornly refusing to realise their prime is past and play more classics.

Are you saying that, despite the fact that the turnout was huge, the gig very nearly didn't go ahead because the fans, who had bought the tickets, weren't interested in seeing the show? Come on dude, everyone knows the set list. If people weren't into The Final Frontier they would have voted with their wallets and stayed away.

snake plissken said:
Are you saying that, despite the fact that the turnout was huge, the gig very nearly didn't go ahead because the fans, who had bought the tickets, weren't interested in seeing the show? Come on dude, everyone knows the set list. If people weren't into The Final Frontier they would have voted with their wallets and stayed away.

I was there myself, saw it first hand.  Was pretty much the same business as in 2006: new songs largely ignored by 70 % of the crowd.
Mind you, I like the Final Frontier, but the kind of music Maiden writes these days, it just doesn't work live.  

When The Wild Wind Blows was a perfect example yesterday.  It was obvious the crowd was trying to pick up on the melody in the beginning and chant along as they do in Fear Of The Dark, but they soon gave it up.  The song has too many twists and turns to work live, and even I was disappointed with it despite it being one of my favorite songs from the album.

Well I think you're gonna have to wait for another history tour to get the set list you want. Given the numbers that they got last night I doubt they'll be changing their set lists any time soon. I'll be checking them out a month from now, I'll let ya know how the new stuff is received...

snake plissken said:
Well I think you're gonna have to wait for another history tour to get the set list you want. Given the numbers that they got last night I doubt they'll be changing their set lists any time soon. I'll be checking them out a month from now, I'll let ya know how the new stuff is received...

Mind you though, my personal highlights of the evening were The Talisman, Blood Brothers & The Wicker Man....   Admittedly, Blood Brothers and The Wicker Man are now to be considered classics with the right of age, and as for the Talisman I find it one of Maiden's very best songs of all time, so I'll have to admit I didn't pick up on how it was recieved, not would I have given a fuck, because I thought it was splendid live and was too busy rocking out to it. My point is that new material isn't always a downer, but some songs need time (Wicker Man, Blood Brothers) to grow into people's hearts and minds), and others just don't work well as live material (most of AMOLAD, for example).

Play Classics! warned for posting spoilers. I've had it with you. One more strike and you're out, mate.

I haven't read the whole thread. So i guess someone else has posted this. But Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer will play at the same stadium just two days after Iron Maiden. So i guess some fans just had the economy for one.
But i was there and talked with many afterwards, and the most mentioned that either The Wickerman, Blood Brothers or Dance of Death was the best of the evening. And most people where i standed sang with riffs in When The Wind Blows and so on, so most i guess have heard the new songs, might be diffrent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfG9HJ-Zls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJeiJTOfQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgzDOzMXr8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gw8oNf0Km0

Doesnt these clips says otherwise?

Fought said:
I haven't read the whole thread. So i guess someone else has posted this. But Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer will play at the same stadium just two days after Iron Maiden. So i guess some fans just had the economy for one.
And said show will be broadcasted live on TV.

Play Classics! said:
Oh, please.  Even the tour programme says which songs they're playing this time around.

It doesn't matter. The rules for this forum and this topic are clear. There isn't a discussion to be had about it. If you want to post here, follow the rules.

To be clear: spoil again and be banned.
Fought said:

Next time, read the thread, especially the rules about spoilers. Only warning.

Play Classics! said:
The Talisman, Blood Brothers & The Wicker Man....   

The Final Frontier and Coming Home were also incredible as live versions.

Hey Maidenfans! The user named "Play Classics" is well-known to be a douchebag , who only comes here to intentionally post spoilers and troll us. You need not respond.

He was banned for a while, for the last time he posted spoilers... No more chances. The new ban won't expire. :ninja:

SinisterMinisterX said:
Hey Maidenfans! The user named "Play Classics" is well-known to be a douchebag , who only comes here to intentionally post spoilers and troll us. You need not respond.

He was banned for a while, for the last time he posted spoilers... No more chances. The new ban won't expire. :ninja:

:ok: Excellent, even though he seemed to be moderating towards the end, giving some praise to songs on the tour that WEREN'T classics. But thank you, administrative ninja, for preserving the integrity of the site!

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not banned.
It's also funny, or should it be sad, rather, how so many young Maiden fans can't accept people who like me who think they made better music in the 80's & part of the 90's. You obviously can't have that opinion without being a "troll".  Well, call me a troll then, doesn't change my opinion.

Yes you can. You say "In my opinion, 80's maiden is better". But what you do is say that it is a fact that classic maiden is the best and that if maiden play new material nobody will go to see them. Which is wrong.

Back